www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 4:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Health Insurance??
PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:22 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Guys, just curious as I know many of you are retired living in Costa Rica. I was just wondering what many of you do with health insurance while living down there. Do you still purchase it back home then fly back if something major happens? Or just go and pay directly to a Costa Rica hospital? From what I have heard, Costa Rica overall does have affordable, good health care.

I would love to retire someday to Costa Rica and I will lose all my health insurance coverage when I leave my employer. Am just curious on what some you are doing who are not over 62 and don't get Medicare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:50 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Like so many things in Costa Rica, the answer is "It depends".

Costa Rica has socialized health care. It's very cheap ($45 a month or so IIRC) and the care is pretty good, however the waits in the doctors offices can be an all day affair in many cases.

There is private health insurance as well. Your US health insurance won't cover you down here in most cases, though they may have an option to airlift you out for treatment back home. It will probably be expensive.

There are a number of international health insurance providers, such as BUPA international. You can get a quote online pretty easily, just go to their web site http://www.bupa-intl.com/. This is not an endorsement, i've never used them, so I don't know how well their service is, and there are others as well.. a google search will find plenty.

Healther care insurance (even international) is cheaper in costa rica because health care costs are so low here. VERY low. even at private hospitals like CIMA (which is affiliate with Baylor University Hospitals). The biggest reason is no medical malpractice lawsuits.

I basically keep catastrophic insurance, and just pay out of pocket when I need to go for minor stuff. It costs a lot less that way for me. A typical doctors visit is $50-$75 here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:26 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Can someone please tell me how to get catostropic insurance that is valid internationally? I know I can get it in the US, but how would that work in CR or anywhere else that I travel??? Does INS provide this kind of insurance?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:42 am 

I am enrolled in the Costarricense Del Seguro Social (CAJA) which is the government health plan. The cost is $40.00 a month and includes everything from Dr. visits, prescriptions, lab test, hospital care, surgery, etc.

You must be a legal resident to enroll. You are assigned a clinic and a Dr. I have never had to wait to see the Dr. any longer that I had to wait at the VA in Miami.

The overall level of care is excellent but there can be a considerable delay in some diagnostic tests I overcome that by using private hospitals for things like colonoscopies ($250.00 at CIMA). There also can be a long wait for some surgeries. To overcome that I maintain by VA registration by completing the annual means test. If I had to have a surgery that would threaten my life by being delayed I would go back to the states and have it done at the VA.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:45 am 

Irish Drifter wrote:
I am enrolled in the Costarricense Del Seguro Social (CAJA) which is the government health plan. The cost is $40.00 a month and includes everything from Dr. visits, prescriptions, lab test, hospital care, surgery, etc.

You must be a legal resident to enroll. You are assigned a clinic and a Dr. I have never had to wait to see the Dr. any longer that I had to wait at the VA in Miami.

The overall level of care is excellent but there can be a considerable delay in some diagnostic tests I overcome that by using private hospitals for things like colonoscopies ($250.00 at CIMA). There also can be a long wait for some surgeries. To overcome that I maintain by VA registration by completing the annual means test. If I had to have a surgery that would threaten my life by being delayed I would go back to the states and have it done at the VA.

What are the options for us "low-lives" living here on a tourist visa? I figure if they govt knows there is money to be made, they have to offer some form of insurance for tourists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:59 am 

Chi_trekker wrote:

What are the options for us "low-lives" living here on a tourist visa? I figure if they govt knows there is money to be made, they have to offer some form of insurance for tourists.

The government insurance company INS has various plans that are available to all and other plans that are available only to legal residents (Garrett y Asociados 2233-2455). There also is an HMO type of operation Asistencia Medica (2220-3687) that works with Hospital CIMA.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:52 pm 

I have a son in CR. My name is on his stamped birthcert, hospital report, attending physician report, mother's report, proof of ongoing financial support, pictures with me and my boy over the years.

She is a CR cedula holding Nica. Mi hijo was born in SJO, CR in 02. There is 10 years of documented history among us and the families Nica, CR, & USA.

I would like to get my CR Cedula via this route. Wondering if anyone could advise of any downside in starting the process at immigration with the mother's help. She has an appointment scheduled in late july.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:20 pm 

Elroy wrote:
I have a son in CR. My name is on his stamped birthcert, hospital report, attending physician report, mother's report, proof of ongoing financial support, pictures with me and my boy over the years.

She is a CR cedula holding Nica. Mi hijo was born in SJO, CR in 02. There is 10 years of documented history among us and the families Nica, CR, & USA.

I would like to get my CR Cedula via this route. Wondering if anyone could advise of any downside in starting the process at immigration with the mother's help. She has an appointment scheduled in late july.

Unless someone on this board is a Costa Rican abogado no one can answer that question.

You need to hire an abogado who practices immigration law.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:49 pm 

Gracias for the input. Your comments are always very informative and usually without emotion or chuckles on the guy asking for some info.

I was thinking the same, you helped confirm it. You must have been an advisor and a leader in a past life(s).