www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:27 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

As most of you have heard, starting tomorrow April 20, CR is starting to enforce a $100 per month charge for overstaying the 90 days.
First off, IMHO this was aimed more at the large number of people from other latin american countries being here illegally, and not necesarily for gringos and Europeans.
Yesterday, I did the obligatory border run and I am legal now . Besides the 6 hour bus ride, each way, and waiting for the return bus, the immigration process only takes about 90 minutes. That is to get the exit stamp from CR, walk to Nicaragua, pay $13 to enter and then turn around and pay $3 to leave. Back in CR you have to show a ticket proving you are leaving the country within 90 days, and you're done. ( the 3 day/72 hour rule ONLY applies to customs; where you buy $500 or more of stuff and claim it on the customs form )
The only odd thing that happened is that 10 minutes out of Penas Blancas, the police stopped the bus and did a passport check on all passengers. At least one person left the buse with their luggage.

Many times the 90 day deal is not bad, because its a chance to travel elsewhere, visit other neighboring countries, and get a change of scenery)
In a more practical way, $100 a month is actually cheaper and less headache then plane tickets, long travel, etc. just to renew that passport stamp.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:35 am 
CR is delaying the fine law for one year. Pura Vida

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:28 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Rico can you tell me what kind of ticket you have to prove you are leaving in 90 days? Do you have a plane ticket reservation or a pre-paid bus ticket? Just wondering what options you had!

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:31 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

For $25 , I bought an open end one year, bus ticket to Managua. I've used it for immigration 3 times

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:23 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Rico1040 wrote:
For $25 , I bought an open end one year, bus ticket to Managua. I've used it for immigration 3 times

Except the border is closed now.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison