www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

My wife and I are making our 11th trip to CR and are thinking about becoming part-time residents. We usually just monger on our trips, so we haven't seen as much of the country as we should have. We've done the tourist stuff from SJ like the volcanoes, waterfall gardens, coffee plantations, etc and we've spent a couple of weeks in Jaco. We plan to rent. What we're looking for:

CR or Nicaragua
Mountains
A/C or a high enough elevation not to need it
NOT an ex-pat area
Close enough for at least a weekly visit to a mongering area
We don't plan on buying transportation, so close to some shops, but not a large city

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:36 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

All of Costa Rica is an ex-pat area.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:46 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

The area on Poas near Colinas de Poas where they sell the strawberries and cheese is beautiful. You can get to San Jose via Alajuela or Heredia. You are up high enough even for trout fishing. I saw some nice lots for sale that would be suitable for a mountain home.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:06 am 

Fortuna? Beautiful.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:31 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Thanks guys, I'll put them on the list? We spent a few days in Fortuna on one trip. It was beautiful, but it was HOT!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:40 pm 

I'd recommend Atenas. Perfect climate. Not too far from the airport, San Jose, and the Pacific coast.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:02 pm 

My ideal is around 3000 ft. but close to coast. Atenas almost fits this...but may be a bit lower and has those fer de lance snakes...a little higher elevation avoids that. San Jose downtown is pretty much right elevation...but closer to the coast and smaller community would be nicer for peaceful life. Just my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:12 am 

+1 on the Atenas / Grecia area. Great weather, significant expat community and pretty good infrastructure. Very close to SJO and a short hop to Jaco and Puntarenas.

I did have about 2 hectares of land just outside of Atenas that I was planning on building on for retirement but got a great offer to sell it for a decent profit a few years ago. Now that I am retired I kinda wish I still had it.

I have only been to Nicaragua once. Went to Granada and the beaches. Loved it. I would imagine the mountain areas would have some incredible places to build but I would imagine there wouldn't be much infrastructure at all. It would be a whole lot cheaper than CR though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:25 am 

Harddrive is right about Nicaragua. In addition, I'd have a SLIGHT concern about the stability if the Nicaraguan government. There have been some serious rebellions there in modern times.

But the Nicas couldn't be sweeter than they are now. :roll: : :D P

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:59 am 

In addition to those places mentioned, check out Perez Zeledon 3 hours southwest of San Jose. San Isidro del General is an agricultural center about 45 minutes up the mountains from Dominical and the Pacific Ocean. Go a little further east of San Isidro, and you will be in San Giraldo de Rivas... a little alpine community at the foot of Cerro Chirripo. (You won't find too many ex-pats in San Giraldo).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:06 am 

I really like Orosi..Funky little town, although it has been a few years since I was there..

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:13 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Orosi and Cachi are really nice. A restaurant overlooking the lake called La Casona de Cafetal has a really good Sunday buffet.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:32 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

We just got back and I'd like to thank everyone that made suggestions. We really liked Atenas, Grecia and the Orosi Valley. I think we've got a much better idea of what we're looking for now.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:50 pm 

Onffun wrote:
We just got back and I'd like to thank everyone that made suggestions. We really liked Atenas, Grecia and the Orosi Valley. I think we've got a much better idea of what we're looking for now.

I just saw this thread and I was going to suggest Orosi Valley. I love the climate there. Don't need A/C but a Heater may come in handy from time to time. Love the proximity (next door) to Tapanti National Park and most importantly, far less expats when compared to the Grecia/Atenas area. And lastly, still close enough to SJ where if you do need big city items it's not a long drive. Wondering what your thoughts were of Orosi.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:57 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Sorry for the delay in response, we just got home after Hurricane Irma.

We really liked the Orosi Valley area. We like to hike and it looked like there are a lot more options close by in that area.