www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: CAJA
PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:22 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I see alot of folks ripping ARCR, but for residents, their CAJA deal can't be beat. i pay $70 a month.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Caja is not concerned about pre-existing conditions.Further more if you have residency you must pay to CAJA, no choice. It's pretty inexpensive but service is second class. I have an appointment for March 5, 2019 that I have had for over a year for a back problem. I complete my coverage with VA Medical in the states but the travel is expensive. People over 65, handicapted people and pregnant get priority. There is a National Health Insurance Company that gives better coverage but doesn't cover pre-existing which I have a book full over. There is a rumor that Blue Shield and Blue Cross are going to be allowed herer and the competition should help.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:48 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

ARCR has a group plan where you can get it for about $90.00 a month. Look into that.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:53 pm 

Whitecat wrote:
ARCR has a group plan where you can get it for about $90.00 a month. Look into that.

Thanks, will check them out :D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:41 pm 

When I saw this thread and saw it was originally started back in about Nov. '15 and had been brought back to life I wondered why I had not posted before since I was actually receiving my residency at that time. After reading several posts by people who are either listening to the wrong people or must be talking about another country, I realized I did not post because I probably figured it would just start a war of words on here.

Most of what has been posted is very incomplete info, or is just plain bullshit!!!

Getting residency, if you meet all of the requirements is not that much of a problem nor is it difficult, and I pay NO additional taxes here. It does take around a year to year and a half. This depends on if you use a lawyer or not and how well versed and on top of things he is if you do hire one. In my case I went "cheap" and hired a low priced attorney who specializes in migracion issues! Only problem is he did not tell me that I was his first Gringo client in 5 years nor that I was expected to do most of the leg work. Only problem is he kept sending me to the wrong places because of all the changes that affect Gringos but not Latinos from other countries. But he only cost me $500 and he did make all but one of the trips to migracion and that was the last one which I had to be there. Most attorneys seem to be charging between $1500 and $2000 and do not seem to do any more than mine did.

There does seem to be a lot of confusion about the "crackdown" on perpetual tourists. Some guys still say they have no problem reentering the country even with many stamps . I and several of my friends had a very different experience. I started my application after receiving only 40 days and being told that if I had not started it, the next time I would be refused entry. A friend had only been here a year when he was given 50 days and told "start residency or do not try to reenter again." I have heard of many guys who "say" they have not had a problem (never seen their proof). I have seen first hand what happened to me and to 3 friends.

CAJA cost: While going thru the process there were several posts on CRT about the cost for Gringos being 11 or 12 % of your stated income. Also it was stated that they would just take your word for how much you earned as long as it was at least the required $1000 per month. BOTH were false!! There are actually two types which we qualify for and you have the option of which one. the "Asegurado voluntario" is much cheaper (both provide the exact same coverage-"Muy Tico"). As for the rates, it is based on several factors -income, source of income, nationality, and maybe some other things. I saw the rate sheet(s). It was 2 pages of single spaced rates. I can tell you that for approximately $1650 a month SS it is almost exactly $100 a month at my age and is based on the current exchange rate to keep it that amount regardless of the exchange rate. By the way for a guy 73-74 that is about 6.5%. My attorney stated that for the other type that is available it is about 11% (for the same coverage)!

As for them accepting any figure you give them for income, bullshit!! The first thing they ask for is your proof of SS income from the embassy. Oh, and the second thing I was asked for on my first trip was proof of having a bank account (local) with direct deposit of my SS from the States. Now the problem is (1) you have to have the CAJA before your residency will be approved and (2) the CAJA (on the first trip) wanted proof of bank account before issuance of coverage. AND (3) the bank would not give me an account till my residency had been approved pending having a bank account. Catch 22!!!! Luckily when I went back the next week with all the paper work except for not having an open bank account the person this time NEVER said a word about a bank account!!

CAJA service: I am sure there are some very true horror stories, and I may some day experience serious wait problems or bad service but!! I had had CAJA 3 days when I had a serious accident . Extension ladder slid out from under me and I fell 10 feet landing on the ladder with one leg thru the rungs and under the ladder. At 73 that was not a fun thing! An ambulance was called and arrived in less than 10 minutes. Was taken to Caldron emergency where I received immediate treatment by what seemed to be very competent doctors. They could not believe I had no broken bones and even sent me back for a second set of ex-rays!! NO COST for anything and no waiting!! total out of pocket costs - zero

I recently developed high blood pressure problems. Went to emergency at Caldron again. You are assigned a hospital and clinic based on where you live. My BP was 201 over 111 when they checked it. The ran several tests and when they found out I had not had a complete physical in several years they did one!! I was given meds to take till I could get an appointment at the clinic. I had an appointment in less than a week and the only reason it took that long was no one had ever told me i had to have a card showing that I was in fact CAJA and was suppose to use that clinic. Otherwise I would have had an appointment the next day. I have had 2 follow up visits. My BP is under control with meds and I have prescriptions for 6 months till my next appointment baring any problems before then. Total costs - zero!!

I know first hand of at least 3 other cases where Gringos got fast and very good service and one of those did not even have the CAJA nor funds to pay the bill!! Another has a very bad heart and he goes to the clinic very often.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 pm 

BB57
Nice on the ground reporting. Good info. What about ARCR rates thru them ? Any idea?
Regards, 911 driver

The happy hour is a device either for getting rid of social obligations hurriedly en masse or for making overtures toward more serious social relationships, as in the etiquette of whoring.- Brooks Atkinson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:55 pm 

911 Driver wrote:
BB57
Nice on the ground reporting. Good info. What about ARCR rates thru them ? Any idea?
Regards, 911 driver

I may or may not be the person to ask about ARCR. personal opinion of what ARCR stands for= Ass Rimming CRooks! And yes, I know of people that have been very pleased with the services they provide??? But for every one of those people I can name 5 who got "rimmed". Yes, they seem to be getting a discounted price on the CAJA. According to one poster here it was $90 2 years ago which is a big $10 a month savings! BUT for as long as you want that discount you have to pay annual dues to ARCR which basically nigates that savings. Based on the experience of one close friend, they do absolutely nothing except tell you what you need- you have to do all the leg work just as I did, and more! Except I paid $500 and last I heard they charge $1200 plus the required annual membership, and that was 5-6 years ago. Everyone I have ever talked to who used them said it took over a year which meant they had to pay for a second years membership. Most important I know from personal experience and from hearing them talk to others, they use "SCARE TACTICS" and lies to convince people to join and use them to obtain residency. They told me things that I knew were, at the time, not true.

I personally would never knowingly use anyone's service who uses lies to get their business, and I would NEVER recommend them to anyone!!

By the way, all the info I have posted here is for Pensionado residency. Each type of residency has a different set of rules, requirements, and prices!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:51 am 

BB57,
So once you have applied for residency, does the requirement still stand to exit the country every
90 days ? Can't seem to get a clear answer.
Regards, 911 Driver

The happy hour is a device either for getting rid of social obligations hurriedly en masse or for making overtures toward more serious social relationships, as in the etiquette of whoring.- Brooks Atkinson

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:15 am 

911 Driver wrote:
BB57,
So once you have applied for residency, does the requirement still stand to exit the country every
90 days ? Can't seem to get a clear answer.
Regards, 911 Driver

NO! You no longer have to leave. When your application is filed you receive a form that states your application has been filed and accepted by migracion and is being processed. Of the 12 or so different items required only about 3 or 4 are required to start the application. 1- your statement of why you want residency. 2- copies of EVERY page in your passport. 3- statement of income from SS.(or your secure pension). 4- $100. Total non refundable fee is $250 if you are in country but you only have to give them $100 to begin with. Once you have the form from them you carry it with you just as you had been doing with a copy of your passport and entry stamp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:31 pm 

Thank You,
I owe you a "drank" next time i'm down.
Regards, 911 Driver