www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:15 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I thought I had it figured out. I'll turn 62 this month and I applied for social security. I wanted to return to Costa Rica having lived there before for two years and fell in love and lust. The company I worked for agreed I could keep working for them via internet and
Skype, part time, my social security would only be $1300 per month and we estimated I could easily earn that same amount or more part time, giving me a comfortable but not luxurious lifestyle.

Now at my age, I prefer a comfortable lifestyle with weekly delicious young poontang, that beats luxury hands down. I won't bother the readers with what happened with my job, but we discovered it won't work and my life savings would probably run out by age 65 or 66 and I would be an old man living off $1300 per month, I analyzed it anyway, hoping, dreaming but came to the conclusion it wouldn't work. If I had a crystal ball and saw I would croak at age 65 or 66, my Spirit air one way ticket would be purchased.

Oh well, for a short time I had a dream, now back to working, saving, fighting traffic and chasing the almighty dollar for another three to four years then I can become a happy Tic o.

I envy you ex pats loving life down there, try not to pity me when a pair of firm young breasts with sensitive nipples are in your face, and that little hottey is squealing and squirming, I'll be stuck in traffic with my tie choking me headed to work... :oops: :x
:cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 9:58 pm 

[quote="Netgems"]I thought I had it figured out. I'll turn 62 this month and I applied for social security. I wanted to return to Costa Rica having lived there before for two years and fell in love and lust. The company I worked for agreed I could keep working for them via internet and
Skype, part time, my social security would only be $1300 per month and we estimated I could easily earn that same amount or more part time, giving me a comfortable but not luxurious lifestyle.

Now at my age, I prefer a comfortable lifestyle with weekly delicious young poontang, that beats luxury hands down. I won't bother the readers with what happened with my job, but we discovered it won't work and my life savings would probably run out by age 65 or 66 and I would be an old man living off $1300 per month, I analyzed it anyway, hoping, dreaming but came to the conclusion it wouldn't work. If I had a crystal ball and saw I would croak at age 65 or 66, my Spirit air one way ticket would be purchased.

Oh well, for a short time I had a dream, now back to working, saving, fighting traffic and chasing the almighty dollar for another three to four years then I can become a happy Tic o.

I envy you ex pats loving life down there, try not to pity me when a pair of firm young breasts with sensitive nipples are in your face, and that little hottey is squealing and squirming, I'll be stuck in traffic with my tie choking me headed to work... :oops: :x
:cry: :evil: :evil: :evil:[/

Netgems, I feel for you. I am stuck here too, hopefully I won't die in harness here in the US. But hopefully you can get down to CR on occasion before you can retire. However, I know many guys who can live and get laid in CR with only Social Sec. But they don't live like reyes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:14 pm 

Thanks for the empathy, Jawanker,

I suppose misery loves company. :mrgreen: I have a buddy living there and I can occasionally shoot down for an extended weekend and stay with him, I 'm in S. Florida and can catch cheap 3 hour flights from Spirit Air. So all is not lost, I can live for those times. Forget about finding anything in S. Florida, the girls are cold and expensive, not like our cherished Ticas n Nicas... :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:22 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Netgems. Where there's a will, there's a way !
I would encourage you to fulfill your dream.
You can offer the same services via internet and skype to a wide variety of other companies, and live a better lifestyle in CR than living a wishful existence in so. fla. There are more options to living a frugal existence in costa rica than there are in florida.
In 3-4 years you will have missed out on 150 pootang sessions, and you will be older and slower.
I would rather look back and say 'YES' than be an old man living off social security and saying ' i should have'

Its possible that in 3-4 years you will have many unexpected surprises in florida and still cant make the move. But you know exactly what you are going to get and what you will need living in CR today.

As Nike says " just do it "

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:33 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Netgems, I wish I had your problem.

I planned on retiring and spending at least half my time in Costa Rica. My right hand started going numb early last year. Months later, the doctors thought the problem was a pinched nerve in my neck. I retired at the end of last year and they performed surgery, fusing the vertebra in my neck. It turned out the doctors were wrong. They finally decided that I have ALS.

So now I'm retired, 65 years old, drawing Social Security and a government pension, with an IRA, but can't wipe my own butt. I'm hoping I'll find a caregiver who will help me visit Costa Rica one last time. If by chance I happen meet you, I'll buy the drinks. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:50 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Rico1040 wrote:
Netgems. Where there's a will, there's a way !
I would encourage you to fulfill your dream.
You can offer the same services via internet and skype to a wide variety of other companies, and live a better lifestyle in CR than living a wishful existence in so. fla. There are more options to living a frugal existence in costa rica than there are in florida.
In 3-4 years you will have missed out on 150 pootang sessions, and you will be older and slower.
I would rather look back and say 'YES' than be an old man living off social security and saying ' i should have'

Its possible that in 3-4 years you will have many unexpected surprises in florida and still cant make the move. But you know exactly what you are going to get and what you will need living in CR today.

As Nike says " just do it "

I disagree. $1300 even in Costa Rica is a paltry sum. There is no room for error. Living as a Tico does is pretty hard for your typical gringo plus the top shelf pu*sy is priced out of your leaque.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 3:53 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Mcoyp wrote:

I planned on retiring and spending at least half my time in Costa Rica. My right hand started going numb early last year. Months later, the doctors thought the problem was a pinched nerve in my neck. I retired at the end of last year and they performed surgery, fusing the vertebra in my neck. It turned out the doctors were wrong. They finally decided that I have ALS.

So now I'm retired, 65 years old, drawing Social Security and a government pension, with an IRA, but can't wipe my own butt. I'm hoping I'll find a caregiver who will help me visit Costa Rica one last time. If by chance I happen meet you, I'll buy the drinks. 8)

That is sad stuff. Sorry to hear it. Hope you can make it down.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:53 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Any advice for us 52 year olds hoping to retire in 10 years? If you could go back in time, what would you do differently to get you where you need to be financially to retire in CR?

-LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:27 pm 

Save Save Save!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:56 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I use to save. Before I started going to CR every month.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:06 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Zunbake3 wrote:
Save Save Save!!!

And at what number is it enough?
Just looking for an opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:53 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

to put this in perspective, I know Netgems personally and just wanted to encourage him to fulfill his dream. I dont think money is the issue in deciding to move to costa rica, because you have to spend money to live in the states anyway.
We have heard posts saying ' save, save save' ; good points ! And one question of ' how much do you need ?"
First of all, with a tourist mindset, the answer is that you need all you have !
If you live here and take the retail ladies from the hotel 3-5 times a week, you will spend a small fortune.
Living here on $2,000 a month, or less is perfectly doable. Yes you have to give up some creature comforts we are used to in the states; food and clothing are rudely expensive here. but living like a local is not that awful, if you are on a budget.
you can start with a $400 a month furnished apartment including electric and internet and be cozy. Not luxurious, but cozy. and then everything builds from there. the biggest discretionary expense is the impulse shopping of a fine filly from desamparados that wants cien.
Now the question is ' How much do you need to live in the states ? '

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:05 pm 

Mcoyp wrote:

I'm sorry to hear of your plight, I can only hope the best for you, G*d bless you my friend, I hope to meet you in Costa Rica one day under better circumstances.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:15 pm 

Is there any ex pats reading this thread living on 2.5K or less in CR per month and can opine? In 2007 thru 2009 I got destroyed by the housing bubble and my fat paycheck from Lehman Brothers, my LB stock went bye-bye and my real estate went underwater. I was devastated but answered an ad for people with finance backgrounds to run an internet gambling site in Costa Rica. I came down knowing I would eventually return to the USA, and lived somewhat comfortably for two years on a paycheck that would vary from $1500 to $1800 per month, one or two chicca encounters per week and round trip flights to S Florida every 3 months.

I'm not sure if that's doable now... :cry:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:38 am 

Netgems wrote:
Is there any ex pats reading this thread living on 2.5K or less in CR per month and can opine? In 2007 thru 2009 I got destroyed by the housing bubble and my fat paycheck from Lehman Brothers, my LB stock went bye-bye and my real estate went underwater. I was devastated but answered an ad for people with finance backgrounds to run an internet gambling site in Costa Rica. I came down knowing I would eventually return to the USA, and lived somewhat comfortably for two years on a paycheck that would vary from $1500 to $1800 per month, one or two chicca encounters per week and round trip flights to S Florida every 3 months.

I'm not sure if that's doable now... :cry:

You're right Netgems...CR is way too expensive for what you describe.

I would consider Colombia as a much more affordable option. A highly favorable COP exchange rate will make your suggested $2,500 go very far. Check Medellin specifically. Many advantages over San Jose.

Good luck to you!