www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: success stories?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 10:15 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Wondering if the success stories (assuming there are some) do not appear on boards like this because anyone who has a successful relationship will no longer be posting on this board.

Simple.

PS...no flames as to my reason for posting this. I've heard and read the stories. I'm not deluding myself as far as I know....and if I am I'll be the first to post the sad story like everyone else.

Post subject: Re: success stories?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:55 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

So let's hear the intermediate, unfinished story. It sounds like you have a relationship in progress and are hoping for the best. If that is the case, I too hope that this new relationship adds immense satisfaction to the rest of your life. Don't wait too long to post the story.

Lost

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:20 pm 

Some of us are in happy relationships, but still post here out of force of habit. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:30 pm 

I met a girl last year in CR and have not been with anyone since. I made 7 trips back to see her in the year and honestly it was something neither of us wanted, or thought would ever happen. I had no desire to ever get into a cohabitating relationship ever again but this has been an incredible year. If I took all of the good things I liked about all of the women I ever dated this woman possesses all of them and then some. Our relationship is truly transparent and from the beginning has been based on mutual trust and respect. I have the passwords to her phone, facebook and email accounts and she has access to mine. I know about her darkest secrets and choices she made that she was not proud of and she knows about my past as well. There are no games from either side and it is an amazingly balanced relationship. I have met plenty of lying cheating women in both the states and others in CR, but all I can say is we both knew it from the start that this was different and we both needed to open the door for the other. I have never been as happy in my life as I am now and I have the knowledge from past mistakes to not Phuck this one up........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:56 pm 

Buena suerte. It CAN happen, but it's rare anywhere.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:15 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Remember the old saying...."The bigger the player the harder the fall." ... is not always true but usually is.

Bueno Suerte. In any case just relax and enjoy it for as long as it lasts. Even if it's not forever, it's probably better than the alternative. 8) 8)

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:57 pm 

I'm still here and think I've got a pretty good success story. Been with my girl almost 8 years and married over 7. It wasn't easy even though she is a really sweet and special girl. No way I'd have made it long distance, the key was living here, learning the language/culture and compromise. Good luck on whatever you are doing and if I can be of help let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:19 pm 

Puravidatransport wrote:
I'm still here and think I've got a pretty good success story. Been with my girl almost 8 years and married over 7. It wasn't easy even though she is a really sweet and special girl. No way I'd have made it long distance, the key was living here, learning the language/culture and compromise. Good luck on whatever you are doing and if I can be of help let me know!

Well done, PVT

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:30 pm 

Ilv4play,
We gotta have a beer sometime, been too long, hope all goes well for you, 5 years till
freedom for me.
Regards, 911 Driver

The happy hour is a device either for getting rid of social obligations hurriedly en masse or for making overtures toward more serious social relationships, as in the etiquette of whoring.- Brooks Atkinson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:11 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Bravo for the success stories. They are rare not only because of all of the age, language, and culture factors, but also because some of us are so vulnerable to a lovely, sweet lady that we just want to believe. We likely ignore the warning signs that maybe her feelings aren't real and permanent.

But if a relationship brings joy for even a few months, it may even be worth going through the anguish of facing the reality when the truth is revealed. Better to live and learn than just watch.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:47 am 

911 Driver give me a call and we'll hook up for a beer or two. I am sure we have quite a few stories to share since the last time we got together.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:04 am 

Puravidatransport wrote:
I'm still here and think I've got a pretty good success story.

Congrats on making it work, it is tough being so far away from my girl, but thankfully having the ability to video chat throughout the day, and talking on the phone as well, makes things a little easier.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:22 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
Congrats on making it work, it is tough being so far away from my girl, but thankfully having the ability to video chat throughout the day, and talking on the phone as well, makes things a little easier.

Isn't modern technology great? :wink: :wink:

I always tell people the odds are long but not unbeatable. It isn't something I'd ever suggest someone else try but the rewards are amazing. If what you have makes you happy then I say keep going but make smart decisions. I wish you all the best and if you ever wanna/need to holler at me, don't hesitate.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:34 pm 

A couple of items:

1. What defines success?
Relationships most probably will fail(this isn't our parents or grandparents generation where it lasted forever). But that doesn't define it as successful or not. Wether it lasts 1 year or 20 years.....how was it? were you both happy? satisfied? Did you share experiences that you would only want to share with that person at that moment? Etc. Knowing that and the relationship will most likely be finite, will guarantee it is a "success." Wether you have 1, 2, 5, or 20 such relations in your lifetime without going nuclear on the other, you have been successful and enjoyed the fruits of life.

2. What other relationship is more honest?
You know what she has done in desperate times(wether it be once to pay a bill or a lifetime) and she knows the kind of places you have frequented and the activities you partook. With that out of the way, no need to act saintly or keep up appearances. Of course, still be a gentleman and leave it at that. Acknowledge once and never discuss it again if you both decide to move forward in a committed relationship. No need to make her feel(or remind) her what she did.
And the same for you. Think about, if a gringa knew you inhabited such places, you would never hear the end of it :lol:

Mi dos centavos on a popular & topical subject.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:35 pm 

For me what matters is from the day we met and those moving forward. I know I have not been a prince all my life, but finding someone that makes you want to be a better person, is a life changing experience. I will say she has made some very significant choices, all of which I did not ask her to make, and I have changed some habits as well. Her decision to quit smoking was huge because she committed to it, and stuck with it which I am very proud of her for. She voluntarily lost friends that she knew were toxic and sends me any messages that come from people from her past so I know what is being said. I do the same for her. It seems like the culture of Costa Rica thrives on wanting to prevent people from making a better life for themselves and deciding you want to give up any connections to that past because of a new person in your life is a very big decision. The past is something that cannot be changed but the future has a whole new set of choices and opportunities. It is a time to start with a clean slate and if you are smart enough to learn from past mistakes or decisions that did not quite go the way you wanted them to, then you are ahead of the curve and are using the tools available to build a better life. I have found a happiness that I never would have imagined existed, and prior to meeting this woman I thought I was very happy. Anyway whatever your feelings are on the subject, the bottom line is you are the one that is responsible for your happiness. If you are not happy in your life figure out why and make the changes required and give yourself a new lease on life.

Last edited by Ilv4play on Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.