www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Guys, relax. I was just asking the question out of curiosity. Just a half-baked idea. However, I appreciate you guys putting on your Captain Sav-A-Monger caps and coming to what you perceived as a monger in need of guidance an assistance. :roll: :D

I know from past experience that a dude wanting to bring a chica to the US will spend lots of time and money exploring ALL avenues. I've seen me do it. :roll: I'm not sure why we dudes feel that bringing a chica to the US is something that will be beneficial to her. I suppose it's just our American Exceptionalism playing with our minds. :roll: :wink:

By asking the question, I thought it might result in an interesting discussion of the possibilities/pitfalls and I think that has been accomplished. It also disclosed that some of you have a greater respect for the intent of the laws as compared to just the language (letter) of the laws.

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

DGD wrote:
... Any tips re: the process and the interview?

The fiancee/marriage immigrant visa to the US is fairly straightforward. However, you need to pay attention to detail, make sure the forms are current, complete and accurate. The most difficult part is gathering all the supporting documentation and getting them notiarized and apostillarized. Immigration attorneys are not necessary, and if you do hire one, you will end up doing most of the legwork anyway. The interview panel consists of three consular officers, who will try to determine if the marriage/engagement is a sham, or if it is real. It is always good to have supporting evidence that they relationship is "for real"... pictures, plane tickets, etc that prove an on-going relationship. The applicant will know at the end of the interview whether they have the visa.

Non-immigrant tourist/student visas do not entail a lot of paperwork, but do require a letter of sponsorship affirming financial support while in the US. An interview is required. During the interview process, the consular officer will try to determine whether the visit is truly "temporary" or the applicant actually intends to stay in the US. The appplicant will know at the end of the interview whether they have the visa or not.

An adoption visa is more complicated, as the adoption process, in itself, entails a lot of time and money.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:29 pm 

Just curious if anyone out there has blown the process on purpose. In other words, have you ever had a chica that wants you to help her get a visa but you don't want her coming to the States? But you do want to keep the relationship you have in CR. Just curious like I said. I do know of one guy who did this but wouldn't mention any details. He was actually a nice guy, just got the shit scared out of him at the thought of taking their relationship north.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:42 pm 

Thirdworld wrote:
Just curious if anyone out there has blown the process on purpose. In other words, have you ever had a chica that wants you to help her get a visa but you don't want her coming to the States? But you do want to keep the relationship you have in CR. Just curious like I said. I do know of one guy who did this but wouldn't mention any details. He was actually a nice guy, just got the shit scared out of him at the thought of taking their relationship north.

Yes, I know one guy in CR who did that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:54 pm 

DGD wrote:
Orange: Was that out of CR? Any tips re: the process and the interview?

Yes, out of CR. This was in Jan 2008. By some freak occurance or just luck, the petition (fiancee visa application that the US citixen completes and sends to the appropriate Immigratio Service Center-CA or VT) was approved in something like 46 (I don't remember the exact number) days from the time I sent it. The average was 150 days (5 months). And while we were waiting for the petition to be approved, I had the embassy immigrant Visa department email us the requirements for the medical, so she knew exactly where to go for the physical, bloodwork, and vaccinations as soon as the petition was approved. (In CR, they require the vaccinations to be completed before coming to the US. Better (cheaper) to have them done by a private doctor in CR and get the paperwork so the embassy doctor can then noted it during the physical. If the embassy doctor has to administer any vaccines, it will cost 3-4X as much. My girl needed a chicken pox vaccine and was charged $25. It would cost $6 at her doctor's.) Most other countries don't require all vaccines to be completed before they give the visa. You have to have them completed when you apply for the greencard once you marry your fiancee in the US. This way, one less thing to worry about when applying for the GC.

Once the petition is approved, you do your medical stuff and gather the (police records, single certificate, birth certificate, etc) and then are ready to schedule the interview. Since we had the requirements ahead of time, she gathered everything she needed in the 46 days we waited for the apporval. Then she knocked out the medical stuff in one week and we were ready for the interview with 2 weeks of our petition being approved. I scheduled the interview for a month later (not a long wait, but we wanted her to come when it was a little warmer).

I flew down for the interview (the lady I spoke with on the phone told me they like to see the couple together at the interview in CR). They called us up first to drop off the paperwork, them we waited about 90 minutes to be called to the actual officer who interviewed us. (While we waited, I noticed they observed us, how we interacted, whether we touched or sat far apart, etc). We waiting we did get to enjoy another couple getting interviewed. The guy was 60+ and the girl looked early 20's or less. She didn't know his last name. OOPS! Funny thing is that she was there picking up the visa 3 days later when we went to get my girl's. :shock:

Other advice:
-Visit this site: http://www.visajourney.com It has a forum like this one where you can get help/advice/answers about any kind of visa question. They helped me a lot with things that weren't clear.
-Be detail oriented, especially when filling out the paperwork and gathering the required evidence. The instructions are very thorough. Make sure you follow them. Ask questions on VJ (site mentioned above) if you are not clear about something. I followed them to a T and I think that is why we had such a smooth sailing through the whole process.
-DON'T hire a lawyer. They are mostly fuck-ups. There are very few good immigration lawyers. Most try to practice several types of law (real estate, personal injury, estate, immigration, etc.) and they usually suck at all of them. 99% of them are not up to date on ever-changing immigration laws. And their paralegals do all the work anyway, they just collect the money.
-Be patient. The process can be long and stressful, although it's usually realtively quick and easy.
-In order for a cross-cultural relationship to work, you must be able to fully communicate with your partner. If you don't speak the same language very well, it's gonna fail quickly. Spanglish isn't gonna cut it.
-Respect each other's culture and not try to change each other. She will come with a set of beliefs and you need to respect them because she won't see things the same way you do. It doesn't mean that your way is better.
-Discuss issues such as family support beforehand. Many on here (with 0 experience in this matter :lol: ) like to say that you when you marry a Latina, you have to support her whole family. You don't. I certainly don't. We talked about it and I made it quite clear that we're not going to be sending money to her family on a regular basis. Once in a while, if there is a situation, we do help. I think we've sent money maybe 6 times in almost 4 years.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:28 am 

Scuba1 wrote:
Fair enough, Hank :lol: You are just a tad ( :lol: :P :lol: ) more diplomatic than I :)

(If we are telling truths, I didn't like your first paragraph in the original post [reread it - tad harsh, no - and you were directing it at either me or Orange ] - but we are fine - I like your posts and in fact, commented on one very favorably yesterday :) )

Yes, tad harsh- my apologies.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:19 am 

There was an article in today's Miami Herald about the adoption of a 42 year old girlfriend by a millionaire trying to protect a trust fund against a wrongful death action.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/08/2 ... nates.html

I believe this is the case Scuba1 refereed to in an earlier post.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:15 pm 

Hank Daman wrote:
Scuba1 wrote:
Fair enough, Hank :lol: You are just a tad ( :lol: :P :lol: ) more diplomatic than I :)

(If we are telling truths, I didn't like your first paragraph in the original post [reread it - tad harsh, no - and you were directing it at either me or Orange ] - but we are fine - I like your posts and in fact, commented on one very favorably yesterday :) )

Yes, tad harsh- my apologies.

Accepted :) - we are fine :)

Irish Drifter wrote:
There was an article in today's Miami Herald about the adoption of a 42 year old girlfriend by a millionaire trying to protect a trust fund against a wrongful death action.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/08/2 ... nates.html

I believe this is the case Scuba1 refereed to in an earlier post.

Yes, ID - correct :)

I think this might be the article where the point is made that adoption in the vast majority of cases (like everything else, there are some few and far between exceptions) is to create a legal relationship between a minor Ch*ld and parent(s). Article makes strong point how this whole thing is a sham (as if there was any doubt... :roll: )

Not for protecting your 100 million dollar trust after you negligently killed someone then fled the scene - nor, for that matter, to bring a girl over the age of majority to the USA to Phuck her.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:19 pm 

Quote:
Guys, relax. I was just asking the question out of curiosity. Just a half-baked idea. However, I appreciate you guys putting on your Captain Sav-A-Monger caps and coming to what you perceived as a monger in need of guidance an assistance.

Sometimes, you get what you ask for... :| :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:54 am 

If I had an extra $300K to $500K lying around .......................I'd keep it! :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:35 am 

Just read the Florida story for the first time. Pretty interesting stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:52 am 

The latest update from today's Miami Herald.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/09/2 ... riend.html

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:16 pm 

For immigration purpose, the adoption must occur before her 16th birthday. Google is your friend!
Lennydo wrote:
For several years, I dealt with the US immigration issues when I was playing Captain Sav-A-Ho and learned about the difficulties of getting a chica a VISA to come to the US to live. I found the best and cheapest way is to enroll them in Berlitz in San Jose and then bring them to the US on a student VISA. This is just a premise for my actual question. Perhaps it's just a mental masturbation session, but it may be stupid enough to work while protecting our dumb asses at the same time.

Some of us guys fall in love with the young girls in Costa Rica and want to save them by bringing them to the US. It happens. I've seen me do it. The Marital VISA and the Fiance VISA are expensive, time consuming and difficult. I wonder if we old guys could adopt the chica instead of marrying her - adopt her in CR. That certainly might overcome the issue of divorce and alimony. She's over 18, so US Ch*ld support/alimony would not be an issue except for any of her Ch*ldren that you adopt. It also might protect you from having to give her a split of your assets if a divorce happens.

The wealthy dude in Palm Beach who just adopted his 42 yr old gringa girlfriend rather than marry her may have opened a door that needs to be explored. It seems there is no incest issue since she is not a lineal descendant of the guy. I just wonder how US immigration would view this if you adopted a chica in CR and then applied to bring her to the US on a student VISA or as your daughter. You could also apply to change her last name to yours so to all in the US it appears that you are married. You may or may not have to also adopt her Ch*ldren.

I'm just asking the question, in case we have any bright minds here on CRT that might know how or if this might work as I have dreamed it could. :roll: You might think it's a stupid question, but it might be doable with the application of the CR laws and the US immigration laws so much based upon blind following of the laws without using any judgement. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:26 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

It is my understanding that in order for you to be able to adopt a person and bring them to the US they must be 15 or younger here is some info from the website.

In gaining permanent residence for an adopted foreign Ch*ld, the following requirements must be met:

The Ch*ld's home country must permit adoptions by foreigners, and the prospective US citizen parents must comply with all of that country's rules;
The Ch*ld to be adopted must be under 16 years old and must fit the US government's definition of orphan;
The adoptive parent must be a US citizen, or in the case of a married couple, only one needs to be a US citizen. Single adoptive parents must be at least 25 years of age;
The Ch*ld must have been formally adopted in its country of origin, or the adoptive parents must have custody of the Ch*ld for immigration and an adoption to be finalized in the US; and
An agency must determine if the home/family are suitable to adopt a Ch*ld.

So unless your chica is 15 or younger and an orphan I do not believe you can do it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:17 pm 

I'm wondering about adopting and keeping her here. (could be a day over 18 :D :D ). That way one avoids the issues of alimony, property division if the deal goes bad. (BTW, we know that eventually it's likely to go bad). The beauty of being young (from a chica's perspective) is that like the young K*ds sent into battle, it's not going to be bad for them. Food for thought!