www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Machu Pichu
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 2:57 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

This post is in response to a question by Gringotim that was discussed in another forum. Gringotim, Machu Pichu is Peruvian cuisine. I would absolutely suggest you go, it was the best restaurant I found in CR in the two years I lived there. The prices are reasonable as well, the chef is especially good with fish and shrimp dishes, they have a few chicken and beef dishes but clearly the emphasis is on seafood as would be the case in Peru. The Ceviche Pescado El Minuto is very good, Ceviche originated in Peru and the style is not similar to tico ceviche but I don't like tico style ceviche so it is all a matter of taste, I see many ticos order the ceviche in there and they all devour it with gusto. The seafood soups are excellent as well and especially if you have a hangover they have one (aguadita) I think that will knock your hangover right out. They have several fish dishes which I found all of them to be good, every fish dish will be made with corveina (sea bass) which I think is an excellent fish. I like snapper better but the chef clearly prefers corveina and he prepares it very well. The calamari is very good appetizer as is the Causa a la limena, this is a mashed potato with shrimp and some type of sauce and is real good. As for the fish entrees I always found the ones that were like 2500 or 3000 to be just as good as the ones that were more, I forget the names but they have one that is baked in some sauce and what not and it is like 2700 or 3200 and is just superb. Also they have a peruvian specialty drink called Pisco sour that is good, but the problem with that stuff is it tastes real good and you drink too many and it hits you out of the blue, take it easy on them but it is good and the soft drink that is real good is Inca cola, if they have it. One more thing, I would make sure to go to the machu pichu near the KFC off of Paseo Colon (near oasis) and not the one near mall san pedro. I tried that one once and the clientele seemed like they had a stick up their ass, the service was lackluster and the food was not on par with the original Machu Pichu. You will see mainly ticos but the place is definitely gringo friendly and the best waiters I have ever found in CR, the same 4 or 5 guys have been waiting tables there since I first tried it back in 1999. They are closed sundays and maybe mondays, I always forget. If you like spicy you will love the orange hot sauce, I eat it by the spoon but it is too hot for most and the ticos wont even touch it so you might have to ask for it. The chef has mellowed it out over the years, I liked it better in 1999 when one spoonful had me crying and sweating but not many others liked it so he chilled out. I asked them about it and they told me it is the same but I don't believe them. Anyway it is delicious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:18 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Wow...that was a fantastic review! Very informative. While I love most
seafood, I've never liked the ceviche in CR. After a couple of times, at
different restaurants, I vowed never to have ceviche again in CR. You
never know what is in it! I love the sea bass served in CR. I'll have to
try that Peruvian drink Pisco sour. Is it anything like the CR drink
Guaro sour. Many Ticos/Ticas love Guaro sour, but I don't care for it.
As I love hot/spicy foods and sauces, I'll definitely have to try the orange
hot sauce you mentioned. Too bad they 'lowered the heat' on it the past
couple of years.
Thanks again for the informative post.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:28 am 

Thanks for the report. Since I am allergic to fish I will have to stick with the chicken and Pisco Sours.
:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:40 pm 

I can't say if it is similar to a guaro sour, never tried one but I don't like guaro either. Once again pisco is one of those liqours that hits you out of nowhere, but I do like the drink. Just ask one of the waiters if it is similar to a guaro sour. Another drink that is good is non alcoholic and called chicha morado, it is sort of a grape juice fruit drink type thing. Also, like I said the ceviche in Machu Pichu is nothing like tico ceviche, yeah I do not like the tico style either. Ceviche is not supposed to have bell peppers in it or be eaten with mayonnaise but ticos do not like spicy food so that is the way they make it. Give the short order ceviche pescado a try "ceviche al minuto" I think it is called on the menu, the hot orange sauce goes perfect with the ceviche and after you eat the ceviche try the leche de tigre, that is the juice from the fish, lime, onions, salt and the hot sauce that will be left on your plate. I just drink all of it and will knock out any hangover you might have. And for William who can't eat fish I think you will like the Lomo Saltado, this is a peruvian beef dish that is really tasty. It is strips of beef, stir fried with potatoes and onions in a sauce and served with rice on the side. Arroz con pollo is delicious, not at all similar to tico arroz con pollo, and if you like chicken I am sure you will enjoy that. Damn I wish I was there to go right now, I am from North Va DC area and we have many peruvian restaurants but none are close to Machu Pichu, I will head down in february and that place will be my first stop.