www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue May 21, 2024 6:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: El Pueblo - uh, NOT
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:51 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

One of the tour guides on the day trips I took made much about the quality of Costa Rican beef. At the end of the day I asked him (I know, wrong person to ask) where he'd recommend I go to have a good steak. He told me I should go to "The Wooden Kitchen" (La Cocina Lena, en espanol, I think) in an area called "El Pueblo." Maybe I was just really tired, but it didn't occur to me that this very helpful and knowledgable Tico, even if he was a tour guide, would send me to a gringo tourist trap area, which is what El Pueblo turned out to be. Anyway, I jumped in a taxi and headed for the place.

Entering the dark restaurant, I was greeted by the maitre d, who was very old world and was also just very old. He reminded me of a Costa Rican Vincent Price. I considered asking for a table next to the dungeon.
Anyway, I sat down, noticing the place was full of just the kind of gringos I thought I'd left back in Norte America. The prices were gringo prices, too, although not bad by U.S. standards. I think I got out for less than $20 for a steak and a beer. The steak, in any event, was really excellent, as was the service.

The rest of El Pueblo consisted of shops selling tourist trinkets and a couple of really lame looking disco-type joints. There were a couple of cheap Tico fast food places, too, but they didn't look very good.
When I tried to get a taxi to leave, I had a hard time finding a driver to take me to Sportsmen's, because as Sportsmen's is new, they didn't know it, and would not accept "Calle 13 y Avenida 9." Basically, as soon as they realized I could speak a little Spanish and/or that I wanted to go to a place they didn't know, they became assholes. Very odd. I guess they prefer clueless tourists who pay big bucks for a ride to the Holliday Inn. Finally, I found one old codger who would take me - for 4K Colones. What a pisser.
I'll bet I would have had just as good a steak right there at Sportsmen's or at one of the other recommended places in this section - saved some hassle, too. Live and learn, no? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:17 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I also noticed this. When asking ticos where to go, and not just taxi drivers who might have alternate motives to send you there, they usually tell you so and so place is fantastic, but upon arrival it is just your usual weird tourist place trapped in some weird notion of what a north american establishment should be.

I want local places and local action. Doesn't bother me at all if the place is a "dive". I get enough strip mall after strip mall up here.

Post subject: World
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:57 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

It isn't just in CR, I had people take me to a McDonald's in Sweden thinking it would be a treat. We aren't ALL that shallow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:56 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Thanks for the heads-up Traveler. El Pueblo was described to me as "party central".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:49 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up Traveler. El Pueblo was described to me as "party central".

Wow, wow, wow, what the hell are you talking about? El Pueblo is a "party central".

Have you ever been there before??? Have you ever seen the pictures posted on their website??? Please don't judge a place before you visit it!

Dildo Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:24 am 

Quote:
The rest of El Pueblo consisted of shops selling tourist trinkets and a couple of really lame looking disco-type joints. There were a couple of cheap Tico fast food places, too, but they didn't look very good.

Quote:
Wow, wow, wow, what the hell are you talking about? El Pueblo is a "party central".

While those statement might seem diametrically opposed to each other they both are really right on the mark.

Just to clear up any confusion for those not familiar with El Pueblo,

The first describes the day time/early evening scene, the second the late late might scene.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:02 pm 

Good perspective Ding Dong.

Dildo Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:20 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

right on DING. Went over one night and had a hell of a time. started in one place they wanted 2000 colones said no thanks and moved on. On the way back the same doorman greeted us as long lose brothers and invited us in for free. A great time was had by all and the place rocks with young locals. Better then watching TV or sitting in the DR saying NO CIEN.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:02 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

"...and a couple of really lame looking disco-type joints..."

that's right guys! el pueblo is lame. it sucks. don't go there. especially when it's ladys night at friends. crappy. shitty. stay away. please avoid this place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:26 pm 

Quote:
that's right guys! el pueblo is lame. it sucks. don't go there. especially when it's ladys night at friends. crappy. shitty. stay away. please avoid this place.

Exactly, also please don't go to El Pueblo during noches de Mardi Gras at Tarrico. Moreover, don't go there during "cabros night" when they show girls with skimpy clothing. It is too loud and you can't hear each other talk! It sucks!

Dildo Man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:53 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Correctimundo hombres!
I was there in the early evening between about 630 and 8pm, and was only there for a steak. I just described what happened in my case and what I observed while I was there.
Thanks for correcting my limited impression and for the info about the late night scene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:17 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Dildo Man and Bombero right on. I'll be sure to stay away from now on too. :D Yeah right and let you have all the fun. I have never eaten there. But what energy. The place rocks.

Post subject: Txiss from El Puebloa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2005 6:32 pm 

The taxistas do not know street coordinates for the most part, even though they are required to take a street geography test to get their cab license. They do however, know landmarks, so if you can direct them to a nearby landmark, even the hard-to-locate Sportsmen's will be a breeze. Four thousand colones from El Pueblo to Sportsmen's!? Un-freaking-believable :evil: . Our cab from El Publo to Hotel Don Carlos last September was around c. 1100. i think we argued the guy down to a red bill and then tipped him the c. 100, much to his amusement. You were taken for a ride, sir.

We ate at Luka's (spelling?), which looked like a tourist trap on a Sunday evening at 8:00 p.m. Wonderful steak for me, sea bass for her, booze, tip at under U.S. $18.00. Great service too.

All my tico friends and lots of guys on this board recommend El Pueblo for its late-nightlife. Lots of local girls hang there, some sweet semi-pros, lots of dancing and fun. Go back on a Saturday night around midnight, for sure. Want to check it out for myself when i return.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:06 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Also posted on another thread ...

El Pueblo is mostly for locals. It is a big complex of night clubs.

Although the characterization of El Pueblo as being for 19 year olds who like ear-popping music and strobe lights is partly correct, it's not just for the K*ds. There is hidden gold in some of the smaller clubs. Take some time to explore, because it is a genuine Costa Rica nightspot, not a tourist trap.

You might hear live Andean music, Argentine Tango by sultry originals from the 60s, salsa, mambo, every style native to Central and South America, depending on what club and what night.

It is about a mile north of central San Jose, probably a bit less as the crow flies. It is just north of the arroyo that passes through the center of San Jose, and is near the an 18th century church, la Iglesia de San Francisco, which would be worth seeing in the daytime.

You can see the Holiday Inn and other downtown landmarks easily from El Pueblo, so you should know exactly where you are, even at night. Ask your cab driver to quote you a fixed fare before you get in the cab. It will depend a lot on what side of downtown you are starting from, and what time of day, since the traffic would be murder if you are on the wrong side of Avenida Central at midday.

Nevada_Doc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:14 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Only good steak in Costa Rica is Donde Carlos it is couple blocks over from El Pueblo Mall. Dino, Showerhead and I went three nights in a row.