www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:03 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I love the Quiznos just down the hill to the left about a block on the walking street.
Quick, cheap and easy.

Unlike USA Quiznos they have a much better menu, their sandwiches and their pizzas are not typical fast food crap but are actually delicious and at a great price too. Small individual pizza is about $7 if I remember right. Sandwich around $6. I liked both but the sandwich was exceptional.

I actually like the Taco Bell for fast food in the USA but the Taco Bells in Costa Rica are absolutely HORRIBLE! It's nothing even approaching Mexican food (not even fast food Mexican food!) and they have a completely different menu than in the states. For me it's inedible. I had to throw mine out.

Pizza Hut is pretty good but EXPENSIVE, much more so than in the U.S. Pizza generally sucks in Costa Rica and is expensive. Quiznos is an exception.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:00 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I'd say the best budget place to eat is the soda around the corner.

Or La Criollita on Ave. 7 (short walk).

If you eat tico you pay tico prices.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:34 pm 

MM3..........

The soda around the corner from WHAT :?:

Or do you mean ANY soda? Certainly some sodas (like Soda Peru on Avenida 3A) are much better than others.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm 

Rac wrote:
MM3..........

The soda around the corner from WHAT :?:

Or do you mean ANY soda? Certainly some sodas (like Soda Peru on Avenida 3A) are much better than others.

You're right - some are better than others.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:11 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Chubbs best burger in CR!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:26 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Asco1410 wrote:
Chubbs best burger in CR!

Just returned and I had the burger at Chubb's and it was indeed good.

And Soda Peru just up the hill from Zona II was indeed good AND a great bargain. HUGE amounts of food for bargain prices.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:29 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

+1 on Soda Peru.
It's a tradition now- every trip I drop by for lunch - usually after the MP walk or a MP session.

Not sure about prices, but food is great and a little people watching. Every now and than you see a regular Tica walking down the hill and into Zona I. :mrgreen:

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:16 pm 

I go in that building across the street on the right corner by HDR on your way to the Av 1, it has 3 floors and empties out on the main drag and you can enter it from the right as you are headed there. They have several cafeterias, soda and Tico style food. Big amounts, great healthy great tasting similar but different food...low prices, friendly staff, no tipping. Don't speak Spanish? Be bold, do something exciting and challenging you can brag about when you get home...point to what you want... :)

You can get a Chubbs American hamburger and Quiznos back home, expand your horizons, enjoy some local fare. Don't be scared, it's mostly just chicken and rice...You won't get Montezuma's Revenge.... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:19 pm 

Californiamann wrote:
+1 on Soda Peru.
It's a tradition now- every trip I drop by for lunch - usually after the MP walk or a MP session.

Not sure about prices, but food is great and a little people watching. Every now and than you see a regular Tica walking down the hill and into Zona I. :mrgreen:

Mad about that place. Been eating there and love it, never disappointed for about 10 years. They up to more than 5 tables now? That small size is one aspect that makes it fun. a bunch of us could take the place over at a non busy time... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:54 am 

Soda peru +1 as well
Tres Banderas around the corner next to Bar Poas. If you are there on Saturday early enough order the Tamale wrapped in Banana leaf...... Its a meal
Argentinian place next to Subway it is across the street from Teatro National on Avenida 2
Wong's Chinese food 1 block down the hill from Del Rey then hang a left on avenida central and up 2 blocks. There Dim Sum is the bomb.
All inclusive at La Amistad can't be beat but I like to explore the culinary options in San Jose.
The food court in Mall San Pedro is a little ways away but for 2500 - 3000 taxi ride it is worth it with 3 levels of food. Unfortuantely my favorite place has closed up but there are still plenty of good options and at lunch time tons of ladies but they are usually accompained by coworkers or in groups of friends. I have successfully approached a few but you need to speak spanish and not be staying at a monger location to get them to go out with you.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:47 am 

I'll second the recommendations for Quiznos and Soda Peru. I'd also recommend the 'Don Gordo Special' at Costa Del Sol :)

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:28 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

GT don't forget they throw in the roaches for free at Costa Del Sol. Remember to use the 5 star bathroom. I love Soda Peru but don't think the prices are a bargain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:35 pm 

JO JO
Just discovered this place today after walking by it and not noticing it. They offer casados in the 2 to 3,500 colone range, have plenty of seating, are relatively quiet, peaceful, and they worked hard to please me. Food was very good for price, as were the salsas that came with it.

They are directly across the street from Holiday Inn on the west side in the same block as the used book store.

------
Then there is always the Horseshoe's 1500 colone take out special if you dont mind waiting. Or the French Alliance a7c5 for their plato del dia lunch special. Or the place diagonally across a7 from French Alliance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:23 pm 

If you think the burgers are good at Chubbs, try a Chubbmelt. They are unreal, I have at least one every time I'm in town.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:19 pm 

What is considered budget?

The food at Soda Peru is good, but not sure that I would call it budget, relative to CR prices. Typical meal there costs 5000-6000, more than $10. I would say that it was budget when it was 2800. Not too long ago either.

The pulled pork sandwich at Chubbs is awesome.