www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stiefl'S Pub
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:25 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

On google map of San Jose they show an Irish Pub called Stiefl's Pub on Ave7/Calle 11.
Anything special about the food and drink and general atmosphere ?
Seems it is there for about 2 years now but I have never heard it mentioned here.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

Post subject: Re: Stiefl'S Pub
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:08 am 
This place is an example of the revolution in the gastric brewpub scene that is becoming very popular in CR. Bario escalante seems to be ground central. Its not an irish pub more of a hipters pub. Craics pub nearby is an irish pub.
I have gone a few times to this pub. Funcky decor, hard seats, with a huge selection of CR craft brews. Not a huge menu but different, trendy. Opens at 6pm. Great place for a creative meal and craft beer.
Seems like all of the craft brews are ales. Lots have fruit added. They will give you free tasters. I found a great porter with coffee added which was great. I like lagers, which take much longer to make and must be cold aged a few months. Did not see any.
Many cool new places to go now, the takeout food place across from the train station, ventaninita. Craics pub, the guy who makes alcoholic ice cream. All really close to the gulch. Get out and discover.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:34 am 

Zman wrote:
This place is an example of the revolution in the gastric brewpub scene that is becoming very popular in CR. Bario escalante seems to be ground central. Its not an irish pub more of a hipters pub. Craics pub nearby is an irish pub.
I have gone a few times to this pub. Funcky decor, hard seats, with a huge selection of CR craft brews. Not a huge menu but different, trendy. Opens at 6pm. Great place for a creative meal and craft beer.
Seems like all of the craft brews are ales. Lots have fruit added. They will give you free tasters. I found a great porter with coffee added which was great. I like lagers, which take much longer to make and must be cold aged a few months. Did not see any.
Many cool new places to go now, the takeout food place across from the train station, ventaninita. Craics pub, the guy who makes alcoholic ice cream. All really close to the gulch. Get out and discover.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to visiting the area in May.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:38 am 

Zman - great review thanks. And you appear to know your beer.

Smaller scale brewers tend to lean on ales because the higher hop content ups the astringent properties. If your process/equipment isn't quite perfect or clean you can still get a safe, and maybe drinkable product.

India Pale Ale came about when traders wanted beer that would keep on a ship over long voyages. They hopped the heck out of it.

Your Cliff Clavin useless fact of the day. Salud!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

Last edited by hotdogg on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:50 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Barrio Escalante is a nice area to go. Here are some of my favourite places.

Costa Rica Beer Factory Inc
https://www.facebook.com/CostaRicaBeerFactory/

Restaurante KalĂș
https://www.facebook.com/RestauranteKalu/

Cafeoteca
https://www.facebook.com/Cafeoteca/