www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:33 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Looks like they had an inagural party on Saturday night. Lots of folks. They changed the sign outside but I don't know when. I had the Peruvian lunch special there and was not impressed at all. Left most of it. The menu has a Caribe - Latin flavor but more expensive. A couple of dishes for two were priced at c 28,000 and c 19,000. Did not check the price of drinks. Looks like prices have gone up and there seems to be no one in the bar except a couple of cool looking bartenders. Tatiana is gone and there is a definite change. SL or Soda Peru has a much better lunch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:04 am 

$56 for a hotel restaurant dish? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a shock that they are always dead.

(Or is that the all-inclusive?)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:49 pm 

They say the Argentine steak dish is for 2-4 people but I wonder about the quality. The place is empty every day so I'm curious how fresh it is. After being in Argentina a few times, it would be the last dish I would try here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:19 pm 

I did not check out any of the pricey dishes but a couple of evenings the place was quite full.
It is closed on Sunday. They have red or white wine for 3K a glass. They use a big wine glass and the wine fills only a quarter of it ! I think the menu said the wine was from Argentina.
They have a dish of 3 tiny empanada , your choice of meat, chicken or vegi or a combination of all three. Cost less then 3K and was tasty as hell especially with the sauces supplied.
At night the lights are so dim that you can only read the bold print on the menu, the finer print description of each dish is impossible to read. Your check for the evening is printed with vanishing ink and can only be read in strong day light. So pray they have not over charged you and that they bring you the right change.
I only go to have the empanadas and usually during the day when the little sweety Xaviar is there. She serves the breakfats at the Dunn Inn till 10 am.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:09 pm 

Ate there on Sunday and yeah it is vastly over priced in this mans opinión
We had 6 in our party and ate maybe 8 of their street food dishes and each of us had at the most 2 drinks
The bill was close to $200 and I while its a nice place and all...wont be going back until i hear something changed
Either the food would have to be remarkably better (it was decent) or fairly priced

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:58 pm 

How is the Taormorina across the street in terms of dinner compared to the Dunn?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:08 pm 

I haven't been to the restaurant at Mona Lisa yet but it looks fancy. The waiters have tux tops and it's a little expensive after looking at the menu. There is an American breakfast "special" there for $10.00. Read bacon and eggs. I walked by there at least 10 different nights and never saw a soul there. I did see 1 or 2 there in the morning drinking coffee.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:02 pm 

Tuxs eh? If I walk in there, their monocles and cumberbunds will flip off!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:28 pm 

Heading there tonight will report back
Looks pretty fancy when I drove by but still has the big ML sign...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:36 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Zunbake3 wrote:
How is the Taormorina across the street in terms of dinner compared to the Dunn?

We had dinner there over labor day week and it was reasonably priced, similar to SL and LA prices. Food and service were good. I do wonder where the previous owners had their other restaurant. They treated me very well and I would like to stop by their other location.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:42 am 

went to walk in to old ML on Thursday at 10 and was told everything was closed...bunch of drywall

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:05 pm 

You're lucky in one way... I had the chifrio and it was terrible. I ate less than half, but the dessert was good. Better off at Soda Peru down the street or SL for the American thing......also, SL has a good Casado cheap and good.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:53 pm 

They must be doing something right because last Wednesday night I walked in and all the tables were reserved for a party and there was a guy playing jazz music on his trumpet.
I had to sit at the bar and there were quite a few people there who were having a good time too. The bartender and waitress seemed pretty friendly.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:59 pm 

The guy who owns the place is an american or canadian who owns another rooftop bar/restaurant on some fancy hotel in San Jose. I talked to him once before the place opened and asked him if he was going to raise the prices on beer. He just smiled. He has a certain crowd he attracts which is great, but I think it's lost it's appeal for the average monger for a regular stop.Used to be a great lunch place. I am, however, determined to try the empanadas there. I've moved over to Bar Malibu and love it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 9:32 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

LAdiablo wrote:
Ate there on Sunday and yeah it is vastly over priced in this mans opinión
We had 6 in our party and ate maybe 8 of their street food dishes and each of us had at the most 2 drinks
The bill was close to $200 and I while its a nice place and all...wont be going back until i hear something changed
Either the food would have to be remarkably better (it was decent) or fairly priced

I tend to agree. I liked the atmosphere at El Alma, but the food seemed better at SL. If I want to take a date to a restaurant so dark you practically need a flashlight to read the menu, and don't care about the price of quality of the food, I'd easily choose Alma. Otherwise, I'd go to SL or LA or ML.