www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Pizza in SJ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:29 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I like pizza and its even better after too many beers. Once I had a pizza delivered while staying at La Amistad, it was from a brick oven joint but I never go the name.

Anyways, I am going to San Jose in Oct and looking for some pizza recommendations in Central/Gulch walking area

Post subject: Re: Best Pizza in SJ
PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:51 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

http://elalpino.com

Close to the gulch...excellent Italian food.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:31 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

My favorite pizza place in sj
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Corn ... 8312961168

and #2 is pizza express just north of auto mercado in san jose, an italian couple run it they use good quality ingredients, mozzarella di bufala, real mushrooms as opposed to canned in most pizza places here, good prosciutto. Prices are very reasonable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:31 pm 

Costa del Sol. >>>>>>>>> http://www.1costaricalink.com/eng/resta ... delsol.htm

One block down the hill from the Rey, on Avenida Central, near the Hamburger Factory.

It's one of three "hole-in-the-wall" pizza restaurants on the same block of Avenida Central. It's the middle one. It's also a CRT sponsor that gives a discount with your VIP card.

The "supreme" pizza is really supreme...... loaded with veggies and meat sauce. Ask for more salsa if you like. The Hawaiian is good, too....... lots of piña. The supreme "personal pizza" is almost more than I can eat... for 2,500 with a fruit drink or iced tea.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:16 pm 

Rac wrote:

One block down the hill from the Rey, on Avenida Central, near the Hamburger Factory.

It's one of three "hole-in-the-wall" pizza restaurants on the same block of Avenida Central. It's the middle one. It's also a CRT sponsor that gives a discount with your VIP card.

The "supreme" pizza is really supreme...... loaded with veggies and meat sauce. Ask for more salsa if you like. The Hawaiian is good, too....... lots of piña. The supreme "personal pizza" is almost more than I can eat... for 2,500 with a fruit drink or iced tea.

And probably the best Chicken Parmesan in all of San Jose! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:20 pm 

Rasclat wrote:
My favorite pizza place in sj
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Corn ... 8312961168

and #2 is pizza express just north of auto mercado in san jose, an italian couple run it they use good quality ingredients, mozzarella di bufala, real mushrooms as opposed to canned in most pizza places here, good prosciutto. Prices are very reasonable.

I have to agree with Rasclat on these two places, especially Pizza Express! This place has the best Italian food for the price I have found ANYWHERE!! If you want truly authentic Italian pizza as opposed to "Americanized" pizza, this is the place.

As for Costa del Sol's pizza, I use to agree it was great, but two things have occurred recently- 1: their quality has (IMHO) one down and 2: the place closest to Calle 11 (to the east) has greatly improved. I like thin crust but Costa del Sol has gotten too thin and dry and often burned; and it seems they have reduced the amount of toppings on all their pizzas. The supreme at the other place (sorry cannot remember the name) has a thicker (but not too thick) crust and is loaded. And it is moist and has great flavor. c1200 for a huge slice and a fruit drink!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:32 pm 

BangBang57 wrote:
As for Costa del Sol's pizza, I use to agree it was great, but two things have occurred recently- 1: their quality has (IMHO) one down and 2: the place closest to Calle 11 (to the east) has greatly improved. I like thin crust but Costa del Sol has gotten too thin and dry and often burned; and it seems they have reduced the amount of toppings on all their pizzas. The supreme at the other place (sorry cannot remember the name) has a thicker (but not too thick) crust and is loaded. And it is moist and has great flavor. c1200 for a huge slice and a fruit drink!!

Have to agree about the pizza. The place closer to Calle 11 has become my preferred pizza place. Though I still prefer the full menu from CdS. The last time I had the pizza at CdS, it was very undercooked, mostly dough, and as BB says, deviod of anything pizzaish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:32 am 

Mucho Gusto wrote:
Rac wrote:

And probably the best Chicken Parmesan in all of San Jose! :wink:

Indeed, the Chicken Parmesan at the Costa del Sol is excellent! Try the Don Gordo Special...it's like a double serving :) Just don't be too surprised by the overall lack of cleanliness, especially the bathroom on the second floor :shock: :lol:

BB57...I'm sorry to hear that the quality has gone downhill recently. I always enjoyed my meals there.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:01 am 

Gringotim,

My bus stop for my house is right across the street and for 10 years I have averaged about once a week eating their "slice of pizza and a fruit drink" special for c1200 (I remember when it was c800). But for the last 2-3 months the pizza just has not been like it use to be. And as I said, the place on down towards c11 is now much better.

Also, not pizza but probably much healthier, I actually eat at the ABC soda next to the Hamburger Factory (same street and block) more - probably twice a week on average. A casado with fruit drink is c2900. It comes with your choice of about 8 different meats and is more food than most can eat. Maybe not the very best casado I ever had, but for the price and convenience it is very good - the best I have had cost a lot more and is not convenient.

The other thing I like about almost all the places (6-7) to eat on this block is in most you can "chica watch" while eating!! Seems a LOT of sexi chicas walk past there!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:49 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

One of the places next to CDS is called something like Mannos or something similar. The girls from the New York Bar use to get it all the time.