www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SEA FOOD IN SAN JOSE
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:52 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I eat fish nearly every day, so here is my take on seafood in San Jose. The great thing about the fish is that, for the most part, it's local, reasonable, and usually a great value. I recommend you leave your american food habits behind for a day or two and try local ceviche, pescado entero, al ajillo, etc. enjoy the taste of this country.

In Sabana, Curridabat, Moravia and Alajuela you can find Princesa Marina. This is a famous local place which specializes in whole fish, with or without the bones, with or without relleno (seafood filling). They have everything from the sea! Also beer and booze.

http://www.princesamarina.com/rests.html

Peruvian style ceviche, corvina, tiradito, pescado a lo macho at:
Soda Perú by Zona 2 (closed weekends I believe)
Machu Picchu of Paseo Colon (across from Oasis) and in San Pedro. The former is best.
Segundo Muelle in Sabana. Very pricey and trendy. Dress up for this one.

Surprisingly good ceviche at:
Sportsmans
Central Pub on Paseo Colon

Nice informal sit down place in La Uruca is La Fuente de Mariscos. You need to take a cab there and a good place to take a Chica unless she's from La Uruca (then they might see some one they know. Not always cool).

And my favorite.....
Soda La Conquista in Mercado Central. They have very fresh fish and lots of variety. A fun and healthy lunch option. They take credit cards, offer fresh juices, and entertainment in terms of people watching. Try their chuchecas, a freshwater clam ceviche served in their black ink. Also the whole fish (pescado entero). Comes with head, eyes, fins, everything crunchy and edible. Their sopa de mariscos is terrific.

I've also had numerous casados con pescado at sodas around town and in the food courts at the San Pedro and Plaza Mayor malls. All usually very good. Served with black beans, white rice, salad, and maduros.

If you're a fish lover like I am, San José, Costa Rica is tuanis.

Post subject: Re: SEA FOOD IN SAN JOSE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:53 pm 

also

The Tuna Tartar around 10$ is a fan favorite at Amistad. Makes for a great light lunch or Big appetizer.
Their Sea Bass and Seafood soup are also excellent.
For those not stayin at Amistad All Inclusive fish plates are often on the Daily special for around 13$ including soup or salad and dessert...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:59 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

If you want to get really local, try El Balcon del Marisco in Curridabat.

mh

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:10 pm 

Always enjoyed the sodas mariscos in Mercado Central. I hope the seafood at princesa marina has improved since I last ate there. Although expensive, Machu Picchu has been a favorite. Soda Peru on Calle 3A has always been an inexpensive alternative for great seafood as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:15 pm 

Must add that the ceviche de corvina (sea bass) and the corvina a la plancha (grilled sea bass) at HDR's Del Mar Restaurant is fresh and well prepared…for those who want to eat close to the action! :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:29 pm 

Now this is a good thread. We can easily weave in a few seafood dining experiences with our visits. Although not a prime dining place, I have found Soda Peru to be very consistent with good seafood plates at a competitive price.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:53 pm 

BTW, Sportsmens Lodge's kitchen always did a great job with fish that we caught on our fishing trips. They prepared the fresh catch 3 or 4 different ways and served it family style.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59 pm 

Jackietrehorn wrote:
Nice informal sit down place in La Uruca is La Fuente de Mariscos. You need to take a cab there and a good place to take a Chica unless she's from La Uruca (then they might see some one they know. Not always cool).

I'll second that restaurant. When I used to stay at the hotel Best Western Irazu, way back when they allowed chicas, I ate there quite often. It's located at the front of the small mall next to the hotel. Very good food :)

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:04 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Lima claims to have the best seafood in the world. In Lima, the Cevicherias like La Mar & Pescados Capitales (Miraflores) are only open until about 2pm because the believe that by dinner time the seafood is no longer fresh. Really incredibly fresh seafood.

Just had some ceviche & a parihuela at Soda Peru which closes at 4pm. Still great after lots of years. Quality seafood and gracious service at a bargain price. In SJO!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:28 pm 

EO wrote:
Lima claims to have the best seafood in the world. In Lima, the Cevicherias like La Mar & Pescados Capitales (Miraflores) are only open until about 2pm because the believe that by dinner time the seafood is no longer fresh. Really incredibly fresh seafood.

Just had some ceviche & a parihuela at Soda Peru which closes at 4pm. Still great after lots of years. Quality seafood and gracious service at a bargain price. In SJO!

The seafood in Lima is off-the charts. No matter weather you eat in a budget place or 5-star restaurant, you can almost be certain the seafood will be great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:07 pm 

I ate at Princesa Marina twice in my 3 days in town last week.

First time, we weren't too hungry but we wanted ceviche (best ceviche in SJ IMO). I had 3.
Next day, I was hungry so I had the fried fish filet with mashed and steamed veggies. And only 2 ceviches. :lol: My woman had the whole red snapper, she loved it.

I also had the ceviche at the restaurant Del Mar (next to Key Largo, part of Del Rey Hotel). It's pricey ¢5300 but it's a pretty big portion and very good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:08 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Which Princesa Marina is closest to the gulch? Sabana?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:43 am 

EO wrote:

One in Sabana... and one in Curridabat... the gulch is about equidistant... so take your pick.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:50 pm 

BlueDevil wrote:
EO wrote:

One in Sabana... and one in Curridabat... the gulch is about equidistant... so take your pick.

Sabana might be quicker. Take the Pavas bus to Lomas, or zona 2 and get off by the Starbucks. You'll be 100m from the place.