www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Soda Tapia
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:47 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

First of all, I apologize for posting about Don Fernando in the Hotels section. That was my fault. I just wasn't paying attention.

Secondly, I am sorry for gushing, but now that I am here with my good friends, I am just Enamored of Costa Rica, and I can't help posting about it.

2 days ago, my friend took me to Soda Tapia. He told me, "It's not Really a Soda anymore. It's too big for that. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a damn fine place to eat."

He was on the money about that one. Apparently, Soda Tapia got its start about 50 years ago, and it looks like it is frozen in time, about 50 years ago. Everything on the menu is good, and cheap. The sandwiches are outstanding. When the prices start to look a little too high, don't worry... The sandwich that sells for 7000 Colones is Gigantor! Seriously... It will feed you for 3 days.

Soda Tapia is cool, and it sits right on Pista 1, so it's a great place to "Fuel Up" prior to leaving San José for Arenal, Jaco, or whatever.

I learned a couple of things that day:

1) The stuff that I heard about Ticos never being on time and constantly making excuses with "Pura Vida" is a bunch of hooey. My friend explained this to me... "Most of the guys that come to Costa Rica are sold that line, and they buy it... Hook, line, and sinker. It's a consequence of starting out in downtown, in the 'Gringo Gulch,' and never breaking away from that culture." His drivers always show up 5 minutes early, and say, "Whenever you are ready, sir."

2) Even though Tapia is too big to really be considered a soda... It still is, in fact, pretty much like a soda. It's a sort of community cafeteria. Even if you don't want to, you will still be dragged into the "family." My friend, Jerry, knows a lot of the workers at Tapia on a first-name basis, so I was talking with all of them within 5 minutes of sitting down. What I didn't expect was all of the other customers coming up to me and trying to start a conversation...

"Where are you from? Oh! You're Jerry's friend? We Love Jerry! You don't have a girlfriend? This is my niece. She's 19 years old, and she's a good girl. Pretty, clean, religious. She'll make a Fine Wife!"

I just looked at Jerry and said, "Jeez! We've only been here for 10 minutes, and Mama is already planning the wedding!"

Post subject: Re: Soda Tapia
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:55 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

outtatime21 wrote:
First of all, I apologize for posting about Don Fernando in the Hotels section. That was my fault. I just wasn't paying attention.

Secondly, I am sorry for gushing, but now that I am here with my good friends, I am just Enamored of Costa Rica, and I can't help posting about it.

2 days ago, my friend took me to Soda Tapia. He told me, "It's not Really a Soda anymore. It's too big for that. But that doesn't change the fact that it's a damn fine place to eat."

He was on the money about that one. Apparently, Soda Tapia got its start about 50 years ago, and it looks like it is frozen in time, about 50 years ago. Everything on the menu is good, and cheap. The sandwiches are outstanding. When the prices start to look a little too high, don't worry... The sandwich that sells for 7000 Colones is Gigantor! Seriously... It will feed you for 3 days.

Soda Tapia is cool, and it sits right on Pista 1, so it's a great place to "Fuel Up" prior to leaving San José for Arenal, Jaco, or whatever.

I learned a couple of things that day:

1) The stuff that I heard about Ticos never being on time and constantly making excuses with "Pura Vida" is a bunch of hooey. My friend explained this to me... "Most of the guys that come to Costa Rica are sold that line, and they buy it... Hook, line, and sinker. It's a consequence of starting out in downtown, in the 'Gringo Gulch,' and never breaking away from that culture." His drivers always show up 5 minutes early, and say, "Whenever you are ready, sir."

2) Even though Tapia is too big to really be considered a soda... It still is, in fact, pretty much like a soda. It's a sort of community cafeteria. Even if you don't want to, you will still be dragged into the "family." My friend, Jerry, knows a lot of the workers at Tapia on a first-name basis, so I was talking with all of them within 5 minutes of sitting down. What I didn't expect was all of the other customers coming up to me and trying to start a conversation...

"Where are you from? Oh! You're Jerry's friend? We Love Jerry! You don't have a girlfriend? This is my niece. She's 19 years old, and she's a good girl. Pretty, clean, religious. She'll make a Fine Wife!"

I just looked at Jerry and said, "Jeez! We've only been here for 10 minutes, and Mama is already planning the wedding!"

Careful outtatime...don't get married before spending a three day weekend @Cocal!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:05 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

bandon843 wrote:

Careful outtatime...don't get married before spending a three day weekend @Cocal!

I know what you mean. We flew to Jaco a couple of days ago. Cocal was hopping. I'm going to detach myself from my host for a week in June, and spend 3 days in Jaco, and 4 days at his house in Manuel Antonio. I'll try to pick up the "Future Ex-Mrs. Lyle" at Cocal, while I'm there!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:40 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Soda Tapia has great arreglados, nuggets, and people watching!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:32 am 

My one time in there about 9 years ago was not overly impressive, the food was eh... We went at like 3am after strip club, if I remember correctly, because it was the only place open at that hour.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 am 

outtatime21 wrote:
... The stuff that I heard about Ticos never being on time and constantly making excuses with "Pura Vida" is a bunch of hooey.

:roll:

I've made 26 trips so far, which is barely any time at all to experience a culture. However, I have experienced the Latin American concept of time on many, many occasions. Simply because a taxi guy shows up on time, don't judge the entire society as being 'time-conscious'.

Typically, the people supporting the 'gringo' tourist market tend to be more sensitive to our expectations. However, life is not ruled solely by a clock for them. So always compensate in your instructions, plans, and expectations when dealing with a scheduled local.

They're good people. They're just not all punctual.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:56 pm 

The locals seem to love this place.

To me it was nothing special. Like a greasy dinner in the states.

In 2008, me and an girl had breakfast there at 8am. They served the fried cheese burnt. It was all black and crusty. My girl told the waiter that she did not want it burnt but only lightly fried. He refused and said, "Thats how they do it."

So we left and went to Mas x Menus and ate at the in store cafeteria there. They actually have a good breakfast selection and serve breakfast cheese that is lightly fried not black. Have eaten there many times since.

* RENT but, "Don't Buy a Home in Costa Rica" until you have lived here for THREE years.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:13 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Mine is a recent review, not from 2009 or whatever. I am a weekly visitor to Soda Tapia in Sabana. Not everything is good on the menu, and I stick to the eggs and bacon with a natural de mango. That is one of my favorite breakfasts in town and served all day. I have had the arreglado and it was good.

There are some local TV celebs that go there, don't know them. But I have heard that former Miss CR, Maribel de la Guardia always goes when she is in town. I think she lives in Mexico.

I heard the Soda Tapia in Sabana is 50 years old but I saw a sign on the one in the market that said 120 years. Maybe the market is that old, and not the soda. Don't know.

And yes the people watching and traffic watching are great!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:55 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

The tamales at Soda Tapia are pretty good. There is also one located in the Mercado central.