www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:20 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

One of my all time favorite dishes is the classic Beef Wellington. While browsing around hotel/restaurants, low and behold, La Amistad has it on their menu for $17 (usually over $35+ in the states). O.M.G (valley girl voice). Has anyone tried it? How is it? How would you rate it against a highly rated stateside restaurant's Wellington? Post-sex munchies followed by cigar and drink anyone?

Also, hoping drinkers can chime in on this - what are general prices for drinks? I know Imperial is dirt cheap. But what if you wanted something like a Whiskey Sour, Gin & Tonic, Johnny Black on the Rocks, Hennessy, other common drinks? What would they cost in general (places like HDR, SL, etc.)?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:28 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Stay at La Amistad all inclusive and the food and drinks are free (well... included) Best deal in the gulch IMO... The beef wellington was pretty good for costa rica. Just remember that the beef in costa rica is not angus or wagyu beef. If you are used to really good beef, you may be disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:49 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Haven't tried the Beef Wellington, but did an all-inclusive at La Amistad not too long ago, and the meals were very good. IMHO, one of the best restaurants in the gulch. I'm sure the Beef Wellington is as good as the other meals I enjoyed at La Amistad restaurant. The all-inclusive is the best deal for a hungry, thirsty monger.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:17 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

ffuller74 wrote:
Stay at La Amistad all inclusive and the food and drinks are free (well... included) Best deal in the gulch IMO... The beef wellington was pretty good for costa rica. Just remember that the beef in costa rica is not angus or wagyu beef. If you are used to really good beef, you may be disappointed.

I'm not too much of a beef snob. I enjoy a superb steak, but I also love a cheap skirt steak (if done right). I'm going to try it anyway, just because of my love for the dish.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:20 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

BlueDevil wrote:
Haven't tried the Beef Wellington, but did an all-inclusive at La Amistad not too long ago, and the meals were very good. IMHO, one of the best restaurants in the gulch. I'm sure the Beef Wellington is as good as the other meals I enjoyed at La Amistad restaurant. The all-inclusive is the best deal for a hungry, thirsty monger.

I'm definitely considering it, because of the money savings. Still on the ball though, because I sort of wanted to eat a lot of local food for the experience. Do you know how much drinks cost at HDR, Zona, etc. American type places? I'm more of a hard liquor or cocktails kind of guy.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:35 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

At ZONA-2 during happy hour 5 to 7 and on Fridays starting at 2 all domestic beers are 2 for 2000 colonies or 2 for $4 well drinks are 2 for 3000 colonies or 2 for $6 during non happy hour domestic beer is 1500 colonies or $3 and well drinks run from 2600 colonies to 3000 colonies 5 to 6 dollars
Jim

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "tourist or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 12:02 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Lucky13 wrote:
At ZONA-2 during happy hour 5 to 7 and on Fridays starting at 2 all domestic beers are 2 for 2000 colonies or 2 for $4 well drinks are 2 for 3000 colonies or 2 for $6 during non happy hour domestic beer is 1500 colonies or $3 and well drinks run from 2600 colonies to 3000 colonies 5 to 6 dollars
Jim

That's a good value!!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:14 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
JimGIN wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:
Jim

That's a good value!!!

Not so sound like a broken record but want to make a good thing even better? Pop for membership and save even more/ read about good things in the VIP section. Ongoing debate about this but I believe you'll find you save the membership cost on that 1st trip--after that it's all gravy. You owe us nothing--you owe it to yourself. End of nag...and have a great trip.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:25 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

JazzboCR wrote:
JimGIN wrote:
Lucky13 wrote:
Jim

That's a good value!!!

Not so sound like a broken record but want to make a good thing even better? Pop for membership and save even more/ read about good things in the VIP section. Ongoing debate about this but I believe you'll find you save the membership cost on that 1st trip--after that it's all gravy. You owe us nothing--you owe it to yourself. End of nag...and have a great trip.

Haha no worries. I see it all the time on the forums. I am going to pick one up at the SL after I arrive.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:48 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I can attest to the quality of the beef Wellington. And the chicken Cordon Bleu, and the huge thick cut pork chops. But last week when I was there, they didn't have the brownies and ice cream anymore. They have ice cream but no brownies anymore. I filed my protest with the cute little hard working girl behind the bar named Karol. I have never had anything at La Amistad that was not good,

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:01 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Karol is great ! The most attentive behind the bar. Very pleasant and organized. I can deal without the brownie btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:06 am 

Quote:
They have ice cream but no brownies anymore. I filed my protest with the cute little hard working girl behind the bar named Karol. I have never had anything at La Amistad that was not good,

yeah, the dessert offerings were different in late May, a choice of mango cake, almond cake & another kind, w/ice cream still!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:18 pm 

Greengo wrote:
gone from good for cr to fair and expensive for the usual suspects.. which is abysmal by ordinary standards..youre better off with a freezer burned 70 year old Chinese tv dinner.. :shock: :lol:

You mean like this one https://youtu.be/C-6mI708yWc

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:32 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Lucky13 wrote:
Jim

I am a vodka drinker what is your well brand is it Smirnoff, if not how much is Smirnoff and absolute?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:59 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

It's Smirnoff