www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:43 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I believe I wrote a review on Esquina de Buenos Aires several years ago but thought I would follow-up with another brief review. I took my date Karina (whom I reviewed in Trip Reports) there for dinner on a Saturday night. We had a reservation, arrived there on time and were still looking an an hour + wait. The host was really gracious and suggested that if we didn't mind we could sit at the bar in which case we were seated immediately. I had the garlic shrimp appetizer (one of my favorites) and a steak...big one with fantastic crispy fries. Bartender even bought both of us a round of drinks. What made my evening was that they had my all-time favorite rum, Ron Zacapa so I had 4 or 5 Cuba Libres. Everything about the place was great: food...drinks...ambiance...service. I believe my bill was around $85 or something like that. In any event, I HIGHLY recommend the place.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:22 pm 

Esquina de Buenos Aires has always been one of my favorite restaurants in San Jose...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 9:28 am 

BondTrader wrote:
What made my evening was that they had my all-time favorite rum, Ron Zacapa so I had 4 or 5 Cuba Libres.

I concur...excellent restaurant. How much did they charge you for the Zacapa? The Dunn Inn used to have Zacapa as well.
Have you tried Zafra rum (21-year old) from Panama? It's hard to find, but well worth it. It's in the same 'league' as Zacapa.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:50 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Best Argentinian Restaurant in Costa Rica!! This restaurant never disappoints!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:08 pm 

I think I've seen it, is it on the same street as Idem?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 10:30 am 

CaptainCohiba wrote:
I think I've seen it, is it on the same street as Idem?

Yes, it's just down the street from Idem and Relax.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:15 pm 

It is so good that I am taking a Taxi there tonight from Escazu. I am not a meat eater, but I love their empanadas!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:15 pm 

I remember when I first started going there, it was almost dead. On a few occasions, my girl and I were the only patrons. I used to think that I would get food poisoning there since they had few customers, so the food wouldn't be fresh, but luckily, never had any issues.

Now, the place is packed every night, they suggest reservations on most nights. And by CR standards, it's not cheap. I think it's about $60-70/person for appetizer, entrée, and a drink. You don't see too many working girls, and gringos, for that matter. :lol:

As for the quality, I agree it's top notch (in CR). I have had 2 rough steaks out of 20-25. That's a good batting average by any standard.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:01 pm 

I was there last night with my favorita (Sunday) at about 730. I made reservations earlier in the day so I was able to get a great table. Wine (promotional Malbec was excellent and only 15.5 mil) 2 empanadas, 1 cannolini carne and 1 shrimp dinner was 42 mil. Everything including the service was excellent!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

We ate there last Thursday. Great meal and service. Make sure you make reservations . They told us we didn't any reservations but the favorite that made them keep it on her phone and they honored it.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:40 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Greengo wrote:
har har..a friend of a friends ..friend.. worked there for years...chemical marinade ..mounds of tenderizer..msg..lard...a nightmare for anyone "sober" and with standards higher than sniffing the drain in front of Manolos ...duh :lol:

Amazing. He had a whole post without once using his word "cumdrunk". Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:45 am 

GREENGO, Still amasses me how anyone could be so DUMB as to live in a place where they hate everything about it for as long as you claim to have lived in Costa Rica. If you ever said anything good about anything concerning CR I would faint!!! Why don't you just crawl back under your rock and leave us poor clueless soles to our misery :?: :idea: :roll: :twisted: