www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chubbs vs SL bar food
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:30 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Ok, I confess, I'm a bit biased. I like SL's bar food. :) it's just bar food but it's always done right by my experiences, hot crisp fries, excellent seasoned chicken fingers, great sauces for dipping, Heinz American ketchup. :D A friend of mine who is unbelievably picky ate their Spaghetti, since they are not Italian I was waiting for his complaints :evil: and even he liked it. This is the guy who complains about food everywhere, expensive, cheap, fast food, you name it. :?

Ok, 2 of us went to Chubbs, I heard good things about it and figured bar food is hard to screw up. I ordered the fish fingers, with their so called superb tartar sauce. Can't say the fish was bad, it's Costa Rica sea bass and it's always good. my complaint was the breading was heavy and over done :x , not light and just right like SL. A couple times I choked on it, the excess dry powder needed a drink follow up almost every bite. The fries were wilted, cold and soggy and yes they had that gawd awful sugary watery Costa Rica ketchup. :!: :?: :evil: :x

Turns out there was a silver lining to the sweet ketchup :) , the tartar sauce they bragged about was as boring as mayonnaise and pickle chunks, I mixed a little of the ketchup in the tartar sauce to sweeten it up and made it tolerable, nothing could be done about the fries, just woof them down because you're hungry and it's something.

My wingman (Grandpa) ordered the barbequed chicken sandwich, it oddly came on two buns, two separate sandwiches, about a couple tablespoons of meat on each sandwich and drenched with some pretty bland cheese which wasn't stated on the menu. Once my buddy got the cheese off, the sandwich tasted ok, not great, maybe not even good, just ok, but for $10 you would think he would get more meat, it's chicken, not filet Mignon... :evil: :!:

One late night I ate a chicken sandwich at this greasy spoon fast food place across from the HDR, it was much better AND much bigger ! I think the sandwich, fries and drink came to around $5. :o

Perhaps we hit a bad day, perhaps we ordered the wrong choices, I'm willing to give them another try, but only if I'm starving and don't want to take the 15 minutes to get from HDR to SL, also I heard Score's is good, anyone have any experience there ??? :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:42 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Don't remember ever eating at Chubbs but I like the bar itself. SL has above average bar food. Lots of people I talk to at the bar bitch about it being "bar food", but come on...it's better than that. Not gourmet, but I'm not there for the food. Then again, I like getting the Tico Plates. Just meat, rice and beans.

I've eaten at La Amistad two or three times and really enjoyed their food. Great breakfast and very good dinner.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:59 pm 

I enjoy both places, sportmens spaghetti is maybe one of the best items, comes out very hot every time :D I turned one of my wings on totoit a few years ago ( orders every time now )

Chubbs , get the chili , best I ever had , not cheap but worth it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:12 am 

SL has the best sopa de pollo of any place in SJ that I have tried. Their bolognese sauce is excellent, and their chicken cordon bleu is exceptional.

None of the above is 'bar food'. But I would be interested in knowing of Chubbs has 'non bar food' that compares.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:45 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Greengo wrote:
projection is some weird shit

One of the most cogent things he's written. "Projection" is that psychological flaw wherein you think,"This is the way I think so it's the way you do think or ought to think". Way too many folks are guilty of this.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:54 pm 

Chubbs: Try the Cobb salad, still the best in town IMHO. Best beer deal, for 6 beers, but you gotta drink them all while you are there. More and more becoming a tico bar, but still worth going. Jessica, still the best bartender in San Jose. Owned by a gringo, nice guy. Gringos still hang out there, but they are dwindling in numbers. Crowded with ticos after 5-6 PM. Some working girls go in, but discreet. Location, location location, 1 block from HDR.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 12:36 am 

Try the Chubbs in Escazu but after 6pm is best. Had decent chicken wings and 2 for 1 happy hour

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:08 am 

SL has an excellent BLT. Chubbs in Escazu has an excellent Reuben, best around.

Add a little spice to you life.This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No "Sex tourism or travel" promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided any compensation for this hopefully entertaining contribution. Any posts regarding any event or hotel item are just my humble opinions only.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:38 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I like the food at both places. The sea bass at Chubb's is usually excellent. One of my wings swears by it. SL has a good steak at a decent price, for when you need some beef. Both places have a decent casados, the Costa Rican meal consisting of rice, beans, salad, and chicken, pork, or beef. It is a good meal at a decent price at both places.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:14 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

chubbs in escazu is newer and has better food. chubbs in the gulch is still ok though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:31 am 

Went to Chubbs SJ when it first opened. We tried their nachos. They were horrible. Have been back to the bar since but have NOT ordered any food. Don't want to ralph in the bathroom.

Pura Vida

EdB

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:23 am 

Had the Chubbs chicken fingers on the Fri p.m. of my Oct. visit. They were awesome. Liked them so much I went back on the Sat pm & had them again. I believe there were 6. Battered perfect, nice size, an adequate meal for me with 1 1/2 left over for breakfast the next morning. No complaints on the service even tho they were packed both nights. The fries were just as good. No complaints on chicken, fries or service.
2 thumbs for Chubbs chicken fingers. :P