www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:47 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Guys - due to her "hard work" and dedication, I believe my favorite has earned dinner at a nice place. I know about Café Mundo and Equinas de Buenos Aires. But any other recommendations....something quiet and romantic either in town or in the hills overlooking the city? I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

CL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:09 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... _Jose.html

always a good choice..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:15 pm 

Mirador Ram Luna in Aserri would be my choice.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... _Jose.html

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:22 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The Kalu Cafe, 1 block east of the Dunn Inn, is pretty good. The rooftop patio is nice for an evening dinner.

http://kalu.co.cr/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:22 pm 

Thanks for the prompt and helpful replies! Have lots to consider now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:32 pm 

BlueDevil wrote:
Mirador Ram Luna in Aserri would be my choice.... http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_R ... _Jose.html

I second that. Go at night but bring alight jacket or sweater, it gets pretty cold up there.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:43 pm 

Limoncello fits the bill. Quiet, gourmet Italian, intimate, good service when you want it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:58 pm 

La Monastere and Ram Luna...both excellent choices.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:25 pm 

never been there, but heard good reviews of La Chandelier, a little on the pricey side.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:06 pm 

Has anyone been to Jurgens in Barrio Dent? I believe it's in the Hotel Jade. It's near the Subaru dealership and the Mall de San Pedro. I've never been there, but I had a Tica amiga years ago tell me that it was excellent.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:32 pm 

Le Chandlier is indeed very very expensive. Everything is great there but still!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:46 pm 

Restaurant at Hotel Gran de Oro off Paseo Colon near Sabana

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:01 pm 

Seabreeze is right on, Grano del Oro is a good one to impress, but maybe you should sit in the middle section which has more romantic lighting. Limoncello is a good cheap alternative.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:47 pm 

Thank you all for some great options!

Now let me ask you all a very frank question. I am planning to take my favorite. She is a respectable girl. She has a full-time job, but works on the side. She's not a HDR hard core, but she does work. She dresses nicely and behaves properly. But she is definitely from a lower middle class barrio (heck, I grew up in a lower middle class barrio myself here in the U.S., but came out OK). Do the kind of people who might frequent some of the nice restaurants you've recommended make people like my favorite feel uncomfortable (or me feel uncomfortable for taking her)? I ask because I've run into that in the past in Medellin.....when I've taken a barrio girl (also nicely dressed and well mannered) to a nice place in Poblado. I wasn't sure if Costa Ricans are like Paisas. I personally don't care what people think, but I don't want to put my favorite in a position to feel uncomfortable. Of course, I'll eventually ask my favorite which place she prefers, but I wanted to get your opinion first before I get to that step. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm 

ColombiaLover wrote:
Thank you all for some great options!

Now let me ask you all a very frank question. I am planning to take my favorite. She is a respectable girl. She has a full-time job, but works on the side. She's not a HDR hard core, but she does work. She dresses nicely and behaves properly. But she is definitely from a lower middle class barrio (heck, I grew up in a lower middle class barrio myself here in the U.S., but came out OK). Do the kind of people who might frequent some of the nice restaurants you've recommended make people like my favorite feel uncomfortable (or me feel uncomfortable for taking her)? I ask because I've run into that in the past in Medellin.....when I've taken a barrio girl (also nicely dressed and well mannered) to a nice place in Poblado. I wasn't sure if Costa Ricans are like Paisas. I personally don't care what people think, but I don't want to put my favorite in a position to feel uncomfortable. Of course, I'll eventually ask my favorite which place she prefers, but I wanted to get your opinion first before I get to that step. Any thoughts?

It depends. Latinos have a sixth sense on these kind of things, and the odds are they will know... especially if amiguita comes across as being out of your class. If you believe your favorita is going to feel self-conscious about being seen in public with you, and this truly matters to you... maybe a quiet domicilio dinner in your room will take the pressure off both of you. At any rate... you are the boss... you are paying her... and you call the shots. Do whatever makes you happy. Just my two cents.