www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:27 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Ate at La Esquina de Buenos Aires last night and was very impressed. I had the lasagna which was EXCELLENT. Two friends that went with me also really enjoyed their meals with one having the tenderloin in some kind of red sauce while the other had some type of grilled chicken breast. The place had a HUGE wine list, great ambiance and excellent service. Prices were on the high side but commiserate with what you get. The (sorta free) bread and butter were also very good. The appetizers we had (calamari and thinly sliced beef) were also excellent.

The place is located a block and a half north of Relax and they do have a website at http://www.laesquinadebuenosaires.com/ . Reservations are recommended but not compulsory.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:30 pm 

La Esquina de Buenos Aires is a must whenever in Buenos Aires.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:37 am 

I found this place maybe 5 years ago, on every trip I make it there at least once, we always get the strip steak, as for me not much ( never) drink any wine but a wing always grabs a glass or 2

Great place for a date as well, service is always very fast and not pushy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:28 pm 

Haha, my fave restaurant in SJ. Always get the portobello tenderloin. I think only once I had something different. The house wine is pretty good along with the steak.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:58 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Excellent lunch crowd. Good food, good service but not on the cheap side. Saw many business types in there.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm 

Good place but not as good as being in BA. Many good times there but a little expensive. I will say that they import a couple of cuts from BA that will not be found outside of Argentina. I suggest all give it a try after a blow job from one of the preferred places a couple of blocks down. Close to the Chinese joint which is not too bad either. I think Tin-Jo.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:47 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Gents,
IMO, this is the best restaurant in San Jose. I highly recommend that you ask for Walter as your server and go with his recommendation on what to order. I also recommend that you save some room for their chocolate lava cake. Not as heavy as you might think, and it tops off what is usually an excellent dinner.

Can't wait to get back in September!

Pura Vida

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:09 pm 

Looking at my notes I see that the Bife de Chorizo is the cut to get. Equivalent to a sirloin or NY strip. Check the menu and see if it has the little star next to it which shows it is imported from BA. You do want to try an import cut.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:28 pm 

I would also try the sweetbreads.
They're called mollejas.
They are excellent!
Make sure you END your day this way because sex later could cause heart stoppage (ymmv)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:45 pm 

Jackietrehorn wrote:
I would also try the sweetbreads.
They're called mollejas.
They are excellent!
Make sure you END your day this way because sex later could cause heart stoppage (ymmv)

My advice, order them medium and not overcooked. They are great and the sauces on the side excellent.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:07 pm 

Excellent advice wise ash
They can still get a little crispy around the edges too.
Not easy to find well prepared sweetbreads in the states

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:50 pm 

Took my girl there last week for our 6-year anniversary and 'The Corner' didn't disappoint. Excellent steak for her while I had the Chicken Parmesan. Service was extraordinary prompting me to leave an extra tip above the 10% already charged, something I NEVER do here because I never get service better than 10%... I highly recommend this place (again).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:46 pm 

La senora and I ate there 2 1/2 weeks ago. I ordered the prime rib steak (medium), and it was like delicious. It was so tender, I was able to cut it like butter. The tenderloin my wife ordered was pretty damned good as well. The service was exceptional, and I left a couple thousand colones extra as well.

Last edited by BlueDevil on Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 4:53 pm 

Allister1369 wrote:
Gents,
IMO, this is the best restaurant in San Jose. I highly recommend that you ask for Walter as your server and go with his recommendation on what to order. I also recommend that you save some room for their chocolate lava cake. Not as heavy as you might think, and it tops off what is usually an excellent dinner.

Can't wait to get back in September!

Pura Vida

I'm glad you enjoyed the place, but by no means is it the best in SJ - its not even the best steak res't in San Jose (that would be Donde Carlos) - however, it does have the distinction of being close to the gulch - when you are there next time, see if a bar called "Puchos" is open - you might enjoy going in for a drink :wink: :lol:

Candidly, no steak place in CR is "all that" if they use domestic beef, which is raised on grass without grain.

Overall, Costa Rica is far from a foodies paradise - you can find Ok food, or even pretty good food, but San Jose is never going to be counted among the great cities for good food. Unlike places like France or Italy, great food is not part of Costa Rican culuture, although there are plenty of other things to like and recommend :wink: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:27 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

SC1- why do you always jump down someone's throat if their opinion is different from yours? This is your tendency all over the site if someone disagrees with you. If he thinks it is the best steak house than it is. His opinion when dining out is the only one that matters.