It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:15 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Donde Carlos Parillada (A STEAK HOUSE)
(506) 225-0819
100 M Norte de la iglesia de Fátima
Las Yoses, San José

Did you ever go to a place and immediately know the minute you walk in that this place would be good? I had that feeling the other night after being recommended to go to Donde Carlos Argentinean steak house by G-Man and the boys. First off I was also asked to provide gringo directions. Sorry but the answer to that is its in Las Yoses not far from San Pedro Mall, and any cab driver who knows his ass from his elbow can find this place with the listed directions above taken directly off the business card. About 5 minutes more or less from the gulch.

Now this place can’t be more than 6 months old as it’s a two level inside outside restaurant with tables outside on an upstairs balcony and everything is brand new. Fine linens I mean this place could have been in South Beach or any big city a really great atmosphere. I expected to open the menu and see Big City prices. WRONG AGAIN, god I love living here. A diverse menu with a focal point on of course beef, beef & more beef. There are some chicken dishes and fish & pork but it’s about the beef guys. Pricing ranged about 4500 colones for all the steak dishes with the baby beef slightly higher and the fish on the expensive side about 7500 to 8k colones. Appetizers list was small, and they had some interesting little soups and salads on the menu. Wine list was fair in price and a good sampling of South American wines.

Now to the food which was quite honestly as good as the place suggested it should be. Just me and my wife GOD I HATE THAT BITCH… I had the mixed salad and she had a Caesar, and we also shared a mozzarella caprese with tomatoes and fresh Italian mozzarella. All were excellent, and some wonderfully complementary bread (PAN) with some dipping sauces. One was spicy oil that was like fire oh baby, and the standard butter, basil and olive oil and various other Central America choices.

On to the Steak and fish. I had the Baby beef recommended by the waiter. Well it looked a lot like a rib eye and size and texture but with much less marble. A solid charcoal outside with a delicious moist medium inside that by far was the finest piece of meat I have ever had in Costa Rica. My wife had the sea bass that just simply blew me away. It was a grill sauté combination with vegetables and light cream sauce and baked potatoes with dill and sour cream melted in. I had the fried potatoes and the mashed potatoes combo and when I was done I could not move I was so stuffed. The deserts looked great but neither of us could eat another bite. Enjoyed some coffee and Sambucca that along with 2 glasses of wine for my wife and two vodkas for me came to a very acceptable $50.00 for two of us including taxes and an extra $5.00 tip for out waiter Walter.

To sum it up, it’s upscale but reasonably priced. The food is excellent and I would assume that you will have a wait there during high season or on a weekend. The debate in my opinion of where to find the best beef in Costa Rica has now ended. They have a nice bar on the 1st floor with outside seating so waiting and having a cocktail will be an enjoyable way to spend some time before dinner. A first class place with a two thumbs up don’t miss recommendation from me. HEY CRT Admin’s, how about a discount?