Post subject: Restaurant Churasco
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:10 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Restaurant Review Churasco Steak House!
De La Iglesia Santa Teresita
500 Metros al este Y 100 al Norte
Barrio Escalante
(506) 225-0778

After reading many reviews of good times and good meals from Gamlingman, Tman and others, I took the plunge and headed out with my wife, yes, I live in CR and I am married to Churasco for some dinner. I also was with some family members from the states so our table was eight in total. I reserved the private room, in the library as directed and off we went.

Nice upscale section of San Jose called barrio Escalante, I would say 5-7 minutes from the Gulch to Churasco less the 3-5 minutes the other way, go figure. On the corner with another place, I will review Al Ancora across the street. Have to be buzzed in, security, I do know why, and the owner’s wife, who sits us in the library, greets us. Our waiter is Jose, as recommended by the GMAN. All male staff, with waiters in white shirts with vests and the place is quite quaint. No air condition, but breeze was adequate and overhead fans made the place quite comfortable to cool.

Staff is attentive, but nothing is in a rush here. Expect your dinner to be leisurely and if our first attempt is any indication of consistency, than this is a great spot. Pre dinner drink orders taken and menus and wine list produced. Receipt of cocktails, and we order two bottles of red, and one white for the table. Wine list is adequate, but not of any great value, in fact slightly high considering the food is very inexpensive. White could definitely be chilled longer and the reds needed to be cooled slightly to get them to proper drinking temperatures.

We had several appetizers, around the table, but I can say the sausage was spicy and quite good and the tomato soup, though it needed some salt was top of the line. A Caesar salad was fare. Good selection of breads, which are complimentary and a nice olive oil & pesto dipping sauce, will definitely keep the vampires away, and watch out for the garlic.

Seems two couples had the same idea here as they ordered the Filet mignon, split for two. It is served on a portable crock-pot, with flames underneath, covered with sautéed peppers and onions. It gets better as it cooks on your table, I had some, and it was excellent.

My wife had the filet mignon skewers over rice with vegetables which was just enough for a light appetite. I and another both had the NY Strip steak, which rivaled that of the colonial or the horseshoe, but at $8 cheaper than there coming in at about $12.00
Entres are served with a small salad with dinner along with choice of French fries, baked potato and rice. Coffee and espressos were good, though this group had no desert.

Prices on the entrees ranged from 9-12 dollars and the filet mignon dinner split for two at 22 bucks is a steal. Appetizers and soups were $2 to $2.50 range and more of those were not necessary, as the meals were quite large.

All and all one of the best values for steak I have had since I moved to Costa Rica. Service attentive, very good, but slow. Prices excellent, for a higher end place in a nice neighborhood. .
Reservations suggested.
All Major Credit Cards Accepted!