www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:54 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Yes I'll be in Barrio Amon, San Jose and want to dine on some fresh oysters there or nearby. Hope that Orange, Lucky Dogg or one of you other knowledgeable food vets can point out places - either budget oyster bars or higher end seafood restaurant would do it. If any exist. Actually I heard of Catch 15 in Santa Ana but likely a high priced spot. I'll be with a group of guys and they are all asking the same question. Perhaps we take a boat ride and catch our own, ha,ha. :lol:
Please advise, guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:52 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Fresh oysters. In San Jose. Because Costa Rica is known for its oyster beds.

Any oysters in San Jose are going to be imported and marginally "fresh" as in flown in on ice / frozen or come from a can.

The majority of actual freshly caught Costa Rican seafood is exported. Imported sea food is expensive or Chinese.

Na Praia says they have a raw bar. Their website has no menu. http://www.napraia.cr. They are not near Barrio Amon. Google map search them.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:31 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Thanks MM3 for your info. I may have hit a seafood bonanza although just outside San Jose: C Market by Product C is a fresh seafood restaurant that most all are raving about -looks like they have 2 locations, one in Escazu, one in Lindora. Fresh oysters too. If interested , see tripadvisor reviews. Anyone been there? I'm still looking for a spot closer to San Jose, if anyone knows.
MM3 - I should add: Na Praia just told me they do serve a variety of oysters and they are located close to the San Pedro Mall, a close cab ride from Amon. Good suggestion, MM3.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:35 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Dasher wrote:
Thanks MM3 for your info. I may have hit a seafood bonanza although just outside San Jose: C Market by Product C is a fresh seafood restaurant that most all are raving about -looks like they have 2 locations, one in Escazu, one in Lindora. Fresh oysters too. If interested , see tripadvisor reviews. Anyone been there? I'm still looking for a spot closer to San Jose, if anyone knows.
MM3 - I should add: Na Praia just told me they do serve a variety of oysters and they are located close to the San Pedro Mall, a close cab ride from Amon. Good suggestion, MM3.

I think i would stay away from Oysters in CR. CR is not known for the cleanest beaches, Rivers or bays.

JMO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:10 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Mkink wrote:
Dasher wrote:

I think i would stay away from Oysters in CR. CR is not known for the cleanest beaches, Rivers or bays.

JMO

Product C supposedly raises their own oysters (there was a Tico Times article in 2009).

Not sure if what they said in 2009 translates to "we still do it that way" in 2017 (its Costa Rica). The article says they are basically farming oysters in Punta Cuchillo on the Gulf of Nicoya.

As Matt said, the coastal waters are none too clean. All the Pacific side rivers are choked with trash even though the scuba operators, etc. tout the Gulf of Nicoya as "pristine". Also there was concern (around 2004) that the Canadian gold-mining operation in Miramar would result in cyanide run-off.

And where do we think the toilets in Punta Cuchillo flush to? An ultramodern sewage treatment plant that produces crystal-clear water? Or straight to the ocean to make what the Tico Times calls "nutrient-rich waters"?

And oysters as a way to "last longer"? It's supposed to be the zinc. Take a zinc supplement instead of running all over San Jose blowing your colones on pricey 'artisan' oysters that were raised next to some Tico's sewage pipe.

Or get the basic Durex condoms in the farmacia.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison