www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:24 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hello all,

Great info here. I love it. I’ve been to Panama before many times, so I don’t feel like a total fish out of water, but wanted to check in before I go. I’m arriving to SJO this month at 1am. I have one full day before my boss arrives and we start working.

What’s my best bet to have some fun before work starts? I was thinking of grabbing a room at the sportsman Or somewhere close by. I’m hoping to clear customs, grab a uber, and get the party started.

What’s the best plan of action to ensure I go to bed that fist late night with a smile?

I fly in on a Wednesday so I’m worried by that time either all the hot girls are gone or te party is over.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:41 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Last edited by Boynton on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:06 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Got it. Thanks for the info. I’ll switch it over to the Rey. I’ll make sure to get a nicer room given the info here with the cheaper rooms. Uber still good that time of night? Do I need CRC or USD works fine in the hotel?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:34 pm 

Your best bet is to stay at Del Rey as advised.
Regarding Uber, I understand that they are not allowed to come to the arrivals pickup area so you will have to check with them if you have to walk out some where to meet the car.
At 1 A.M. and as a first timer I would use caution. My suggestion is you take the airport official orange taxi, they have a booth in the arrivals area after you go through baggage claims and customs , They take credit cards/dollars/colones. Will cost about $30. Very safe.
To me it is not worth the risk trying to save a few bucks at that time of night with all your baggage, cash,phone, computer etc.
Have a SAFE trip.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:36 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Isra123 wrote:
Your best bet is to stay at Del Rey as advised.
Regarding Uber, I understand that they are not allowed to come to the arrivals pickup area so you will have to check with them if you have to walk out some where to meet the car.
At 1 A.M. and as a first timer I would use caution. My suggestion is you take the airport official orange taxi, they have a booth in the arrivals area after you go through baggage claims and customs , They take credit cards/dollars/colones. Will cost about $30. Very safe.
To me it is not worth the risk trying to save a few bucks at that time of night with all your baggage, cash,phone, computer etc.
Have a SAFE trip.

Great call! Official taxi it is. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:05 pm 

Last edited by Boynton on Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Boynton wrote:
... , a first time quick trip to CR is a bit like trying to take a sip from a firehose. ...

This was true for my first trip, which was only a 3-night, 4 day trip. Mistake. Next time, it will be 7-day minimum, even if one night is in Jaco.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thank you all for the info. Lol I know what drinking from a fire hose is all about lol. I’ll keep it cool this first trip.

I got a deluxe room booked Del Rey. $140 or something. I was little shocked at the price at first. I saw $99 all over but I figured the deluxe room is quieter and better, but no breakfast included. I guess its the price for the experience.

Maybe I’ll get that vip membership for a few more discounts.

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:50 pm 

Firefighter954 wrote:
Thank you all for the info. Lol I know what drinking from a fire hose is all about lol. I’ll keep it cool this first trip.

I got a deluxe room booked Del Rey. $140 or something. I was little shocked at the price at first. I saw $99 all over but I figured the deluxe room is quieter and better, but no breakfast included. I guess its the price for the experience.

Thanks again

What???? $140 for a DR room? And no breakfast? And they wonder why so many guys are no longer going to DR. Then you start adding the elevator fee, each time you bring a girl to your room you pay another $11-15, (who knows what it is now?).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:35 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Orange wrote:
Firefighter954 wrote:

Thanks again

What???? $140 for a DR room? And no breakfast? And they wonder why so many guys are no longer going to DR. Then you start adding the elevator fee, each time you bring a girl to your room you pay another $11-15, (who knows what it is now?).[/quote

Del Rey basic rooms are $65 with tax. The elevator fee used to be $8, this year Feb 2020 the fee went up to about $11 or $15. Lot of new rules for the girls. Have to dress up now, bartenders cannot drink on duty and there is a manager at each bar. You get a bill after every drink order so there is no longer padding your bill. If you do not get a bill the drink is free. Word is the website is down and the Del Rey is being renovated, but will try to turn into family hotel....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:36 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Orange wrote:
Firefighter954 wrote:

Thanks again

What???? $140 for a DR room? And no breakfast? And they wonder why so many guys are no longer going to DR. Then you start adding the elevator fee, each time you bring a girl to your room you pay another $11-15, (who knows what it is now?).