www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Useful Spanish Phrases
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 12:22 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I compiled a list of Spanish phrases, relevant to the hobby.

First, let me say that I always use the informal (tu) form, instead of the formal (Usted), when talking with chicas. I only use Usted when talking to their mothers. :lol:

Hola Hi

Como estás? How are you?

Me llamo Mike My name is Mike (literal translation: I call myself Mike)

Como te llamas? What is your name? (What do you call yourself?)

Me quedo en Hotel (Del Rey) I'm staying at Hotel (insert your hotel name here)

De donde eres? Where are you from?

Te gustarí­a una bebida? Would you like a drink? (una bebida or un trago, same thing)
OR
Quieres una bebida? Do you want a drink?

Me gustarí­a una cerveza I would like a beer.

Donde está el baño? Where is the bathroom?

Eres muy linda You are very cute

Eres bonita You are beautiful

Tienes ojos lindos You have nice eyes

Quieres venir a mi cuarto? Do you want to come to my room?

Chupas sin condón? Do you suck without a condom (BBBJ)?

Tu besas? Do you kiss?

Puedo culearte en el culo? Can I Phuck you in the ass? :shock:

Puedo regarme en tu boca? Can I C*m in your mouth (CIM)?

Dolares Dollars

Cuanto por una hora? How mucho for one hour?

Cuanto por dos horas? How much for two hours?

Cuanto por toda la noche? How much for the whole night (TLN)?

Nunca pago cien por una hora I never pay $100 for 1 hour

Que hora tienes que irte en la mañana? What time do you have to leave in the morning?

Cuanto tiempo vas a estar conmigo? How long are you going to be with me?

Vamos! Let's go

Tienes una amiga linda para un trio? Do you have a cute friend for a threesome?

Cuanto para las dos? How much for both?

Mamaras a tu amiga? Will you lick your friend?

Besaras a tu amiga? Will you kiss your friend?

Quieres ir conmígo en un viaje a la playa? – Do you want to go with me on a trip to the beach?

Other words:
Pene penis
Picha C*ck
Huevos balls (eggs)
Leche C*m/semen (milk)
Pechos breasts
Tetas tits
Panocha pu*sy
Culo ass

Here's the link to Dave's interview sex questionnaire for more monger-related phrases:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7397

Numbers:
Uno 1
Dos 2
Tres 3
Cuatro 4
Cinco 5
Seis 6
Siete 7
Ocho 8
Nueve 9
Diez 10
Veinte 20
Treinta 30
Cuarenta 40
Cincuenta 50
Sesenta 60
Setenta 70
Ochenta 80
Noventa 90
Cien 100
Ciento veinte 120
Ciento cincuenta 150
Dos cientos 200
Quinientos 500
Mil 1000

BTW-You don't need to know any numbers higher than 100, unless you're talking about Colones (¢) :lol: :shock: :lol:

Days of the week:
Lunes Monday
Martes Tuesday
Miercoles Wednesday
Jueves Thursday
Viernes Friday
Sabado Saturday
Domingo Sunday

I'm sorry but I'm really bad at trying to come up with the correct pronunciations for the Spanish words. I've seen other threads where you guys posted the pronunciations, maybe somebody else can do that. If anybody has any other phrases they would like translated, please post and I will keep adding to the list. I am not fluent in Spanish yet, but I'm getting better and this is good practice. I'm learning as well.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Orange on Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:52 pm 

If you type in your English word or phrase this site will translate it with the proper punctuation.

http://imtranslator.com/

http://translation.paralink.com/

Last edited by Witling on Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Spanish
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:24 pm 

Well done Orange!

Regardless of whatever view others may have, your contribution is very much appreciated and I'm sure most newbies will be able to use this list.

And I'm sure you know you can count on me for any assistance...

Respectfully

Muff

Image___________________________________

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:45 pm 

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
The most useful word is an easy one, but one that some find very difficult to use: 'No.' Or, as I prefer, 'No, gracias.'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:55 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Orange,

Someone correct me if I am wrong.
In Costa Rica the familiar tense is not generally used as it is in other Spanish speaking countries. The formal tense is used.

Thus it would be:
Como esta?
Como se llama?
De donde esta (usted)?

and so on.

Post subject: Formal Tense
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:26 am 

Ace

You are correct. In Costa Rica they do indeed use the formal tense as a show of respect. However, please note that Orange's effort was pointed at the commonly used words found throughtout the Spanish speaking countries.

Respectfully

Muff

Post subject: Re: Formal Tense
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:45 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Muffdiver wrote:
Ace

You are correct. In Costa Rica they do indeed use the formal tense as a show of respect. However, please note that Orange's effort was pointed at the commonly used words found throughtout the Spanish speaking countries.

Respectfully

In that case, could someone perhaps update the list for the formal tense for use in CR?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:53 am 

Below you will find the formal form.

Personally, I have never used the formal when talking to chicas, but to each his own. I have never had anybody mention anything about it to me. I have used the formal when talking with people in stores, restaurants, etc. but not with chicas. When using the formal, it is optional to insert the word Usted after the verb. But it can become repetitive, so after you use it once, you can leave it out and they wil understand what you mean.

Como está (Usted)? – How are you?

Me llamo Mike – My name is Mike (literal translation: I call myself Mike)

Como se llama? – What is your name? (What do you call yourself?)

De donde es? – Where are you from?

Le gustaría una bebida? – Would you like a drink? (una bebida or un trago, same thing)
OR
Quiere una bebida? – Do you want a drink?

Me gustaría una cerveza – I would like a beer.

Donde está el baño? – Where is the bathroom?

Es muy linda – You are very cute

Es bonita – You are beautiful

Tiene ojos lindos – You have nice eyes

Quiere venir a mi cuarto? – Do you want to come to my room?

Chupa sin condón? – Do you suck without a condom (BBBJ)?

Besa? – Do you kiss?

Puedo culearle en el culo? – Can I Phuck you in the ass?

Puedo regarme en su boca? – Can I C*m in your mouth (CIM)?

Dolares – Dollars

Cuánto por una hora? – How mucho for one hour?

Cuánto por dos horas? – How much for two hours?

Cuánto por toda la noche? – How much for the whole night (TLN)?

Nunca pago cien por una hora – I never pay $100 for 1 hour

Qué hora tiene que irse en la mañana? – What time do you have to leave in the morning?

Cuánto tiempo estará conmigo? – How long will you be with me?

Vamos! – Let’s go

Tiene amigas lindas para un trio? – Do you have cute friends for a threesome?

Cuánto para las dos? – How much for both?

Mamará a su amiga? – Will you lick your friend?

Besará a su amiga? – Will you kiss your friend?

Quiere ir conmígo en un viaje a la playa? – Do you want to go with me on a trip to the beach?

Last edited by Orange on Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Spanish
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:41 pm 

Orange

You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT... The formality is used mostly when you are addressing someone you have never met before and will probably not deal with in the near future again. As you say, anyone else other than the chicas.

It is a form of respect and demonstrates a high degree of education on the user's part. But once you have established a rapport/conversation with a chica, the formality is not needed anymore.

However, the chica may still use it in deferrence to the man's age and/or status.

Very well done Orange. Your Spanish is really coming along in excellent fashion.

Respectfully

Muff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:02 pm 

Orange wrote:
Below you will find the formal form.

Thanks!

Post subject: Great Help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:36 pm 

Thanks Orange! As a no-Spanish newbie soon to be making his first mongering trip to CS, I'm sure your "Dick Dictionary" will come in
quite handy. I'm not sure how the Tica's will react to a guy having to
use a cheat sheet to reference the phrase, "Can I c*m in your mouth."
Sounds like a scene from a Latin sitcom to me... funny stuff. I only hope I don't need to learn how to say, "Why the phuck did you slap me." :D

Post subject: Re: Great Help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:13 am 

Noah wrote:
....I only hope I don't need to learn how to say, "Why the phuck did you slap me."....

Noah,
You may laugh, but Orange has printed an excellent list of spanish translations here. I know it sounds kinda wierd, but you'll be surprised with some of the things you'll be saying to the chica's. And, believe me....there's nothing on this list that they haven't heard before.

Have a great 1st trip, and be sure to write a trip report when you return!

Mucho Gusto :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:04 am 

Orange, Spanish pronunciation isn't all that tough if you follow some very simple rules:

1. Each Spanish vowel has only one pronunciation. Only one:

Ah
eh
ee
oh
oo (as in "blue"

2. Combinations of vowels do not make new sounds. Each vowel is voiced as a separate syllable, although with softer deliniation than in English. Thus, I pronounce my given name "PAH-ool."

3. Unless you see an accent mark (and they're always placed over vowels), the second to the last syllable is the one stressed. "pah - NOH-chah" "sehr-VEH-zah"

4. Please use the formal tense while in C.R. until you have been invited to be informal by the other person. You'll know when it's appropriate to get less formal, but start out with the "usted" form. I was told by the director of ALISA, a Spanish language school that Costa Ricans even use the usted form when addressing Ch*ldren and pets. There are no exceptions to this.
It's confusing, because it's perfectly appropriate to use the "tu" form with people from other Spanish-speaking countries, except when addressing a total stranger, cop, judge or anyone of higher social status, wealth or authority. Thus, girls from Nicaragua, Panama, Dominican Republic and Colombia will not blink if you use the "tu" form. But, as Muffdiver said above, using the "usted" form makes you sound more educated. We are after all, gentlemen.

5. Beware of learning phrases alone. A problem I've frequently encountered is what I call the machine gun effect: It's like I'm shooting a single-shot .22 rifle, and after I send out my pathetic little bit of Spanish, the other person responds with a rapid-fire barrage of words. :shock: One useful phrase that Orange failed to list:
"No hablo mucho espan~ol." "I don't speak much Spanish."

6. The word "hablo" reminded me of this: "H" in Spanish is not pronounced. "J" of course is pronounced as "H."

I am fortunate, because my Spanish is good enough to hold intelligent conversations as well as do the survival and mongering stuff. I encourage anyone reading this to grab a set of Pimsleur CDs, Rosetta Stone tapes or other self-teaching aids and learn some Spanish. The rewards are many.

Bueana suerte a todos. Es con mucho gusto que los ayudo, y estoy al tu servicio. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:58 am 

Orange - great list buddy, but one minor corrrection: "Donde es el bano" should actually be "Donde ESTA el bano" as the "estar" form of "to be" applies when referring to a location of something.

Also, as EC correctly points out, the "usted" form should generally be used in most instances, not only because of the social conventions, but also because the informal "tu" form really isn't used in CR that much. Instead Costaricense use what is called the informal "vos" form - difficult to learn because it's not really taught anywhere.

Below is the text of a document I've put together from several sources that outlines other conventions particular to Costa Rican Spanish:

Quote:
Because of Costa Rica's early isolation, the country developed some unique linguistic differences from other Spanish-speaking countries. Furthermore, within Costa Rica itself, local accents developed in isolated parts of the country back when communication was extremely difficult. For example: An oxcart journey from San Jose to Limon used to take nearly two weeks.

These accents vary from being so slight that it takes an expert to distinguish them to being all but unintelligible to those not fluent in Spanish. The differences are similar to the way words are pronounced in Minneapolis, Minnesota, and the way they're pronounced in Montgomery, Alabama. This is most noticeable in Guanacaste (northwestern Costa Rica). Like English in Montgomery, dropping some consonants and slurring vowels together produce the Guanacaste accent. This lingo is similar to that spoken in Nicaragua (not surprising since Guanacaste originally was part of Nicaragua). Once you get used to this blending of sounds, it becomes clear.

Don't worry too much if you are just learning Spanish. Almost all people can, and will, speak proper Spanish when they see that you don't understand. They simply repeat their words with a more careful pronunciation and avoid using local slang - just as they learned to do in school.

There is one outstanding difference between Tico Spanish and standard Spanish grammar that could puzzle those who have studied the language in high school or college. Instead of using the polite ‘usted’ and informal ‘tu’ forms of Spanish that are normally taught in our high schools and universities, Costa Ricans use the archaic Spanish ‘vos’ instead of tu for the familiar first person singular.

Originally, vos was the polite form of Spanish first person singular, and tu was familiar. Then somewhere in the late sixteenth century, the use of ‘vuestra merced’ (your grace) became the polite form, later shortened to ‘usted’. This downgraded the formal pronoun vos from formal to informal use and the pronoun tu was used only when speaking to inferiors or animals.

Later, the use of vos was totally dropped and tu once again became standard for informal speech in Spain. However, the first Costa Rican immigrants from Spain came before that switch in grammar occurred and therefore retained the old customs. To make things more confusing, the tu form is sometimes used as a form of intimacy between lovers.

Verbs have a different declension or word ending when using vos. Unfortunately this construction isn't usually taught in U.S. schools, even though several million people in the Western Hemisphere use this mode. The ‘vosotros’ form is taught, but that is the plural form and is used today almost solely by Spanish priests when addressing a congregation.

It takes some time to become comfortable with the vos form; in the meantime play it safe by using usted. Look at the chart and note the differences:

Do you want? Quiere Ud? Quieres tu? Queres vos?
You speak… Usted habla Tu hablas Vos hablas
You are… Usted es Tu eres Vos sos

You'll encounter some other interesting differences between Costa Rican expressions and the way they are said in other countries. Some are quite charming. For example: in most Spanish- speaking countries, the term for ‘you're welcome’ is ‘por nada’, (it's nothing) or ‘no hay de que’, (don't mention it).

Costa Ricans feel those expressions somewhat impolite. To say “you're welcome” they say “con mucho gusto”, (with much pleasure). Rather than greeting acquaintances with “Como esta usted?” (How are you?) they prefer to ask, “Como amanecio?” (How did you wake up this morning?).

They also feel that asking for something using the verb ‘dar’ (to give) is impolite. Instead of "Dame una coca, por favor" (Give me a Coca-Cola, please), they consider it more polite to use the verb ‘regalar’ (which actually means, ‘make me a gift of’). So properly, it would be “Regalame una coca, por fa” (note dropping the syllable “vor” from favor). Of course, they're used to hearing gringos use the other expressions, so they won't be surprised when you say "de nada”.

The reference to Costa Ricans as “Ticos” or “Ticas” itself came about from the use of the diminutive “tico” or “tica” at the end of an adjective to express "small" or "tiny".

One uniquely Costa Rican term solidly ingrained into the language, is ‘pura vida’. Literally, this translates as ‘it's a great life’, but can be used in several contexts to express enthusiasm, agreement, or as a salutation (‘okay’, ‘cool’, ‘all right’). Instead of asking "Would you like anything else?” a clerk in a store might say, “Pura vida?” A gas station attendant may ask, “Is your oil ‘pura vida’, or should I check it for you?”

‘Mae’ is another uniquely Costa Rican expression roughly akin to the English word ‘dude’ - although literally it means something more like ‘idiot’. It is generally spoken among friends.

A couple of strictly Costa Rican could be puzzling to those just learning the language. There is a tendency to begin sentences with the words ‘Vieras que…’ or simply ‘Vieras…’. Informally, this means ‘You see…’ or ‘You know…’. Also used in the same way is ‘Digamos que…’ or ‘Digamos…’ (Let's say…).

You should be careful not to use sayings with obscene implications, and also realize that slang changes over time. About thirty years ago I ran across a series of tapes with Tico slang expressions. I bought them and put them away, vowing some day I would listen to them and master Tico slang.

Twenty-five years later I actually began to study those tapes. Armed with this knowledge I ventured forth to display my proficiency with slang and was shocked to see smiles and laughter. Then I realized that over the years this slang had fallen from favor. I was saying things like ‘twenty-three skidoo!’ or ‘groovy!’ and ‘oh, you K*D!’

A prevalent version of slang in Costa Rica and other regions of Latin America is called ‘pachuco’ or ‘pachuquismo’. It’s used across social classes and understood as a friendly way of speaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:27 pm 

El Ciego wrote:
Orange, Spanish pronunciation isn't all that tough if you follow some very simple rules

EC, I can pronounce well myself, I just meant that I can't write out the way to pronounce the words for others. (i.e cincuenta = seen-quen-tah, but this is an easy one)

GetRhythm wrote:
Orange - great list buddy, but one minor corrrection: "Donde es el bano" should actually be "Donde ESTA el bano" as the "estar" form of "to be" applies when referring to a location of something.

Thanks, good catch GR. I made the correction in the lists. If you catch any other mistakes, let me know. I wrote this on Sunday morning, so there could be some other errors.