www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:18 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Hi all, being doing some reading would appreciate input on the following:

1) length: is 11 days far too much? Thinking Thursday to Monday for 2 full weekends, mostly or all in Jaco.
2) Dates: I could push for early April (end 11th) or starting in May. Is early April too close to Easter? Is May too 'low season' for quality and quantity of women?
3) Can I pick up a CRT card in Jaco? I only see mailing options and Sportsmans. How long does it take to arrive via mail to US? Canada?
4) Cocal: I've read it's far too expensive and there are better options. Agree/disagree? It seems pricey; I'd appreciate any other good close options. Or, is it worth it to be in the middle of the action? Ocean view still the right choice of room?
5) TLN: any tips/costs/advice? Ideally, I'd grab someone I like between 7-10 PM and have fun most of the night. Unlikely, or likely?

Appreciate any input.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:05 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

whiskey77 wrote:

1) length: is 11 days far too much? Thinking Thursday to Monday for 2 full weekends, mostly or all in Jaco.
2) Dates: I could push for early April (end 11th) or starting in May. Is early April too close to Easter? Is May too 'low season' for quality and quantity of women?
3) Can I pick up a CRT card in Jaco? I only see mailing options and Sportsmans. How long does it take to arrive via mail to US? Canada?
4) Cocal: I've read it's far too expensive and there are better options. Agree/disagree? It seems pricey; I'd appreciate any other good close options. Or, is it worth it to be in the middle of the action? Ocean view still the right choice of room?
5) TLN: any tips/costs/advice? Ideally, I'd grab someone I like between 7-10 PM and have fun most of the night. Unlikely, or likely?

Appreciate any input.

Since nobody has jumped in I'll offer what I can. I've never went out to Jaco because what I've heard and read suggests it isn't for me. From your post is sounds like you plan on spending all your time in Jaco?

1) Only you can truly answer how long is too long. I've taken a couple 2 week vacations to Europe and in both instances I was ready to return on about day 9. That's me though. With 11 days you are going to want some side trips I think.

2) The week leading up to Easter is holy week. Business in general tends to slow down as the week goes on but this really only impacts the tail end of your April window and not significantly. I'd go with your May dates though. My .02... single moms don't care if it is high or low season. Their babis need food and clothing year round.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=48357&p=569463#p552726

3) No clue on CRT card pick up in Jaco. Back when I had my mailed it seemed to take about a week to get it in the midwest. If you sign up soon I would think you'd have it in time.

4) Sorry, hopefully someone else can help on cost, relative value, and options.

5) Yes, it's possible, and even likely with the right incentive plan offered on your part. I can't comment on TLN pricing out in Jaco.

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:46 pm 

whiskey77 wrote:

Jaco is hot. I'd get bored fast unless I was spending money like a drunken sailor. Limited daytime mongering. Why not some time in SJ?

Holy Week is family and holiday time. There will still be chicas, but...

Mail or SL. Picked mine up at the SL.

Never stayed there or in Jaco. Other options discussed can be found by searching.

If you are willing to pay. My saying is "In San Jose, you swim with the machaca (a lesser relative of the piranha and a play on mucahaca - a girl). In Jaco, you swim with the sharks."

A Cocal chica is there to make mas plata. So, if she isn't doing volume (more guys)she needs volume (more money). The Cocal is the land of $150 per hour for many. Of course, negotiation can bring that down and many will take less.

Lots of girls will hang out for the right price. Just make sure all is worked out up front and that you like her enough.

Quote:
Appreciate any input.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:49 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I find the pricing in Jaco about the same as in San Jose. Most rooms start at about $100 per night. But you can find as cheap as $65 per night (Cadillac Rock).

The restaurants have a range from high to low. The fancier it looks on the outside, the more expensive it will be. Eat some street food or small local looking restaurant and the food will be for much less. Amigos is a good mid-range and you can get a good burger and fries for about $12.00.

For drinking, I like the Beatle Bar. Beers there are about $2.00. Beer is double that at the Cocal.

I find the girls usually start at $100. I've only had once where they asked for $200. But they went down to $100 within a couple minutes of talking.

There are so many girls at the Cocal that it is easy to negotiate.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:11 pm 

ositoDelNorte wrote:
I find the pricing in Jaco about the same as in San Jose. Most rooms start at about $100 per night. But you can find as cheap as $65 per night (Cadillac Rock).

If I was staying 11 days in San Jose I would stay at either La Amistad or Castillo and do the all inclusive.

$10 over the cost of the room. Lunch, dinner and all the Flora del Cana I can guzzle, plus laundry (and a free transfer to the airport after 4 days) for an extra $10 a day.

Any opinion or observation in the post above is purely presented for entertainment purposes and does not promote "sexual tourism" or "human trafficking". The laws of Costa Rica apply to all activities in Costa Rica. No warranty is expressed or implied. Void where prohibited by law. Your experience, observations or perspective may be different.

In exile in pu*sy prison

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:52 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I did a similar length trip before, I started in SJO for a few days, then a few days in Quepos, a few days back in SJO, a few days in la Fortuna and fiinshed back in SJO. I had a few beach days a few days near the volcano and a few city days with the chicas.
I would have been bored to death with all 11 in one spot. I did not rent a vehicle and used the bus system and local cabs when needed. Good mix of mongering and tourist activities.
Jaco is much more expensive and the beach really isn't that great.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:26 am 

My first trip was 8 days and I could have used a few more. That was the shortest trip I have done and now I am in the 4-5 week range. When I was doing the gulch I hopped around to the different venues to see what I liked best and for me the Penthouse at Zona 2 was my favorite. I have done as much as 5 days in a row at the beach, and during April make sure you pick up some bacon fat for your skin, as you are going to fry. Seriouly bring plenty of sunscreen as it is very expensive in CR. My friends stay at La Amistad and always do the All Inclusive deal with them, their food is top notch and the place has a great atmosphere. After 40 plus trips, and learning by trial and error, 3 days at the beach is max for me. On a 4 week trip I might do it twice, but I break it up. I also rent a vehicle so I do not worry about needing rides, and I can do what I want. Driving in CR is not for the faint of heart though, and most of the drivers drive like shit. Think New York on Valium, crowded and slow. If you do spend your time in Jaco make sure you take a trip to Manuel Antonio or spend a few days down there in combination with Jaco. Not much P4P but the area is beautiful.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:39 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

When I first started going 2000 I did 10 days in San Jose and around. I'm not going to bring up the old days but as you probably read it was a lot different back then. I would get tried of eating 7 days or more at the Amistad you can get 25% off for a week and free transport to the airport without the all-incluvise. There are many good places to eat around SJ. Now that I'm older 5 days about kills me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:25 am 

My advice.

I usually do trips of two to three weeks but I like to move around. I would go stir crazy in Jaco for 11 days. Incredibly hot and humid so during the day really the only thing to do is hang by the pool. Just as hot and a limited number of venues in the evening. I have to admit though, the concentration of quality food selection is probably the best in all of Costa Rica.

If I was going to do 11 days in CR I would:

* Stay at La Amistad for 6 nights, all inclusive, All of the excellent food you can eat, free non top shelf liquor, wine and beer, free laundry and phone calls (even to the US). If you stay at La Amistad for 6 nights with the all inclusive it also includes round trip transportation to Jaco (verify if still valid with the hotel when making reservation).

* Stay two or three nights in Jaco. Time your trip so that you are in Jaco Thursday, Friday and Saturday. See below for hotel info.

* After returning from Jaco, you could go back to La Amistad, but I would opt for the remaining nights at the Sportsmens Lodge just for a change of pace. I like the rooms in the modern wing as they are a bit quieter than those surrounding the bar. If you want to splurge, the Mansion wing rooms are awesome.

Either is fine just avoid the week leading up to Easter. The later you go, the more chance of rain.

If you stay at La Amistad to start off the trip, you don't need the CRT card to check in as the AI deal is not CRT limited. You could then just take a 2 minute walk down to the SL to pick it up.

You can stay at the Cocal but it is pretty expensive. For just two or three nights it might not be too expensive though. Check their website for prices and also call them to see if any deals are available. I would book quickly as this is a relatively busy time.

IMO the Ocean view rooms are the nicest (and the most expensive). I made the mistake of a poolside room and while it is great during the daytime, the bar music will drive you crazy in the evening. If you want to sleep or relax before 1 am, definitely avoid. Next time I am going to look at the Parking lot rooms. Just sit out front, drink some beers and watch the chicas parade into the bar.

The last time I was in Jaco, I stayed at the Hotel Mango Mar. Right next to the Cocal and half the price though definitely not as nice. I was able to negotiate a rate of $60 per night including all taxes and breakfast. Right on the beach, small room, AC, room safe and suicide shower. Small, guitar-shaped pool.

TLN will be quite costly at the Cocal. The girls there are looking / hoping for multiple encounters during the evening. Most of them don't live in Jaco so they try to make as much money as they can while they are there. Also the selection will be somewhat limited early as the bar really doesn't get going until 8 or 9 or so. Anything can be likely depending on how much loot you are willing to part with.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:30 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Appreciate the info, all.

Any thoughts on a pool side room on the second floor vs a room facing the parking lot? Noted from harddrive:
"Next time I am going to look at the Parking lot rooms. Just sit out front, drink some beers and watch the chicas parade into the bar."

Taking any other ideas for hotels as well. I'll probably spend a bit of time in the Cocal, but if there's much cheaper and/or better, I'm very interested in learning.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:24 am 

Quote:
Any thoughts on a pool side room on the second floor vs a room facing the parking lot?

I stayed in 1 of the 2nd-floor poolside rooms on my 1st trip to the Cocal. You're a little removed from the noise & the craziness of the bar below but it is by no means quiet. You can look down on all the action below without 100's of people shuffling by your door & you can sit in the chairs outside your door without being bothered. I stayed in # 4, the last room on the end, no one else walking by your room. My main complaint was the room had 2 beds, which took up too much space for a solo traveler. I much prefer a room with 1 king or queen.