www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: stomach issues
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:12 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I was in San Jose back in May/June 2023. I picked up an intestinal parasite while there. I did not realize it until a couple of months later. As far as I know, I have never had any of those issues the 6-7 times I have visited except this last time. I was given some medication and I think it cleared up. I plan to return to San Jose soonish. I understand not to drink the water, although I did drink coffee the last time. I have also heard not to eat salad or fruit if there is a concern for those type of issues. Does anyone have any experience with intestinal parasites or stomach issues that cares to share, or any way to avoid those in the future.

Also, it looks like the water is tainted with some petroleum derivative or some pollutant. Is that effecting the gulch hotels or is the water good to go there.

Post subject: Re: stomach issues
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:46 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

You may have just got some really bad spoiled food.

However I do practice some of those same precautions, No water unless bottled from the store, no lettuce on sandwiches and absolutely no salads. I have also learned to say when ordering a coke "Sin Hielo" No Ice.

While at Target getting my box of Condoms I will usually just grab for some anti-diarrhea pills and Pepto-Bismol fruit chews this along with watching what I eat works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:31 pm 

Thank you for the reply. I like to order casado. I will have to eat around the salad part. Unfortunately, I believe I had an intestinal parasite as a passed a worm in my stool. That sort of thing makes me a bit squeamish so I think I will try to skip salads. Honestly, I thought it may have come from a steak I had that was barely cooked. A part of it was basically raw and I could not finish that portion. But I cannot know where it came from. I will try some of those methods and hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:53 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

just121 wrote:
Thank you for the reply. I like to order casado. I will have to eat around the salad part. Unfortunately, I believe I had an intestinal parasite as a passed a worm in my stool. That sort of thing makes me a bit squeamish so I think I will try to skip salads. Honestly, I thought it may have come from a steak I had that was barely cooked. A part of it was basically raw and I could not finish that portion. But I cannot know where it came from. I will try some of those methods and hope for the best.

Drink more water, perhaps the hydrocarbons will kill them.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:47 pm 

HaHa, the hydrocarbons are probably the bigger issue. I would like to know about that. All I saw online is that the water was shut off in some areas. The promised turning on and off of the water supply as well as distributing water in trucks has not happened as advertised. As long as I can shower and flush that is all I need. As far as the other issue, I do plan to take an antiparasitic when I return home as a prophylactic measure.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:31 pm 

just121 wrote:
HaHa, the hydrocarbons are probably the bigger issue. I would like to know about that. All I saw online is that the water was shut off in some areas. The promised turning on and off of the water supply as well as distributing water in trucks has not happened as advertised. As long as I can shower and flush that is all I need. As far as the other issue, I do plan to take an antiparasitic when I return home as a prophylactic measure.

Water Issue
Here is a good summary if the xylene contamination issue which was resolved in December.
https://ticotimes.net/2024/02/07/costa- ... c-distrust

However, as usual there are ongoing issues related to outdated infrastructure and the dry season. These are real issues for the local population but not for those staying in gulch hotels. If you are in an AirBNB or local apartments then YMMV. Many places have reserve tanks, but if yours doesn't, there will be rotating water outages or low pressure until May. These events will rotate around the central valley.

When I lived in Amon, I had a 3 story apartment. Washing machine on floor one, kitchen and half bath on floor two, full bath on floor three. During a slight low pressure event, I would lose water on the third floor from 7am to 9pm, so no showers and I would have to go to floor two to take a shit. Later, during more severe low pressure, I would have to go to the basement and shit in a bucket. If I wanted to shower I would attach a hose to the washing machine. Be aware that in much of the GAM there are no backflow restrictors and if you lose water pressure altogether you will need to flush your lines and boil water. If you fail to do this, the chances of shitting everywhere increases. In most tourist areas the infrastructure is good, but the girls are often living in the worst affected areas. They could easily contract sanitation related diseases and pass them to you by sexual OR casual contact. COVID infections are also on the rise (less hand washing, etc).

As far as parasites, I have had two incidences since 2017. Both times, it was cleared up with OTC medication (probably prescription in the US). Dr Lee can set you up for your return trip along with a ZPack.

Last edited by Boynton on Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:22 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion to visit Dr. Lee. I think I will stop in and see him for some medicine when I am there next. It will be easier to ask him questions than the tico pharmacies.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:18 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Got real sick about 15 years ago at the Princess Marina on the other side of Sabana Park. Shell fish poisonings, sick about a good month , many trips to the doctor here in the US.
and got food poisonings at Bar Poas, not as bad.
I try and drink only bottled water when I'm down there, but have occasionally ran out at night and drank the water with no ill effects. Better safe then having diarrhea and and throwing up.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 5:56 pm 

Diacort not only does that shit work, it tastes a bit like Pernod.