www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Caribbean Coast
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:33 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I am Headed to the south Caribbean side for 3 days & 2 nights for the 1st time, more specifically the area of Puerto Viejo and the Playa Cocles which is known for their good surf.

I do plan to also visit Punta Uva which I have read is good for snorkeling and it appears all these beaches in the PV area are not too far apart.

A visit to the Jaguar rescue and the Manzanillo wildlife refuge area are also on my list.

I do also understand from research this is very chill and laid back part of the country any suggestions for some good live music (Reggae) would be much appreciated. 8)

Post subject: Re: Caribbean Coast
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:55 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I can recommend Pura Bali Villas (book direct or AirBNB). Close to the Jaguar Rescue Center as well as several beaches. The bedrooms have A/C and each unit has a jacuzzi.
https://instagram.com/purabalivillas

If you want more rustic, try 'Almonds and Corals' or 'El Colibrí Lodge'. Neither have A/C but both are raised structures with mosquito netting over the bed.
https://instagram.com/almondsandcorals

I highly recommend either A/C or mosquito netting at night to lessen dengue risk.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:42 am 

TF74 wrote:
I am Headed to the south Caribbean side for 3 days & 2 nights for the 1st time, more specifically the area of Puerto Viejo and the Playa Cocles which is known for their good surf.

I do plan to also visit Punta Uva which I have read is good for snorkeling and it appears all these beaches in the PV area are not too far apart.

A visit to the Jaguar rescue and the Manzanillo wildlife refuge area are also on my list.

I do also understand from research this is very chill and laid back part of the country any suggestions for some good live music (Reggae) would be much appreciated. 8)

Salsa Brava for drinks, live music, food, and pot. Right on the beach in town.

Tasty Waves for a great burger and a beer is a must. Look them up on Facebook. Close to Jaguar Rescue.

The absolute highlight of this area is the Gandoca Manzanillo Wildlife Refuge. Once you walk to the lookout area, work your way down to the beach below. Pristine, one of the most beautiful I have ever seen.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:36 pm 

TF74 wrote:

The Jaguar Rescue Center is a complete waste of time. No Jaguars there, maybe 1 Ocelot, some birds, a sloth and some Toucans but I was not in the least bit impressed. Better off spending your time hiking in Gandoca Manzanillo. If you need a referral for a guide in Gandoca Manzanillo let me know. I have 1 guide whom I've been out with on 3 different occasions. Cost you around $60 for the day for a private tour.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 1:46 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

If the Hosts name is Bianca I actually reserved a villa from her few weeks ago on Airbnb App … Casa Blanca :lol:

Yeah the Mirador Gandoca Manzanillo lookout and the beach below is more what I am looking to visit for a few hours in the morning, not necessarily an all day hike.

Salsa Brava sounds like a place worth checking out 8)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:21 pm 

TF74 wrote:
If the Hosts name is Bianca I actually reserved a villa from her few weeks ago on Airbnb App … Casa Blanca :lol:

Same place. I have taken chicas to both Casa Blanca and Casa Azul. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 4:07 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

There's a bar called Green Jaguar in PV one block off the main drag that has live bands/ calypso on weekends. Great food, tempura shrimp!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

MinnesotaFats wrote:
There's a bar called Green Jaguar in PV one block off the main drag that has live bands/ calypso on weekends. Great food, tempura shrimp!

Thanks for the recommendations I pulled them up on TripAdvisor’s and they’re getting good reviews.