www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:24 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Zeos wrote:
catbert55 wrote:
IMO, residency won't be the limiting factor for travel from the US. I don't think there's any place in the US where you can rely on getting the results of a PCR test within 48 hours.

Can get it here and get results back (Ontario) in time, but for me the insurance cost is the deal breaker. The estimate for 2 weeks insurance for someone younger than me was over $900 US. I'm probably looking at closer to $1,200. Either way, doesn't work for me. If I go down I want to stay for at least a month, maybe two. Thousands of dollars for insurance just won't happen.

Sagicor offers CR certified insurance much cheaper than the initial INS rates. For a single traveler aged 70+ staying 46 - 60 days the daily rate is $23.40 ($1,344 for 60 days). If the traveler is under 70yrs, the daily rate is $11.20 ($672 for 60 days).

http://www.sagicor.cr
Rates:
https://www.sagicor.cr/wp-content/uploa ... arifas.png

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:48 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

What do you need to show the results of your test? All of the ones I've had were just a phone call saying I'm negative. I can't imagine they'd use the honor system for this.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:13 pm 

snowmatt3 wrote:
What do you need to show the results of your test? All of the ones I've had were just a phone call saying I'm negative. I can't imagine they'd use the honor system for this.

Typically, you will need a doctor or healthcare provider to order the test and take the sample. The lab processing the sample will send them the results. They will give you a copy.

Here is how it works with Labcorp
https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-dis ... st-results

Or you could just show them your CRT VIP card.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 6:28 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I had a test administered by county government. They sent the result by US Mail. Don’t think that will work with the 48 hour rule!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:20 am 

Perhaps if you explain that you need it for sexual romp in the tropics they will expedite your test ahead of medical workers and hotzones.

If that fails, just flash your CRT VIP card. That baby works wonders.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:22 pm 

Warning :!: :!: :!:
If you flash your VIP Card, you need to pay $4.00 for a STDs check. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:25 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Boynton wrote:
Zeos wrote:
catbert55 wrote:
IMO, residency won't be the limiting factor for travel from the US. I don't think there's any place in the US where you can rely on getting the results of a PCR test within 48 hours.

Can get it here and get results back (Ontario) in time, but for me the insurance cost is the deal breaker. The estimate for 2 weeks insurance for someone younger than me was over $900 US. I'm probably looking at closer to $1,200. Either way, doesn't work for me. If I go down I want to stay for at least a month, maybe two. Thousands of dollars for insurance just won't happen.

Sagicor offers CR certified insurance much cheaper than the initial INS rates. For a single traveler aged 70+ staying 46 - 60 days the daily rate is $23.40 ($1,344 for 60 days). If the traveler is under 70yrs, the daily rate is $11.20 ($672 for 60 days).

http://www.sagicor.cr
Rates:
https://www.sagicor.cr/wp-content/uploa ... arifas.png

Thanks for that, I can use that too :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:00 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

CaliforniaSunshine wrote:
An explanation as to how US tourism decision was reached.

https://ticotimes.net/2020/08/26/visit- ... s-tourists

Thanks for the reference. Finally at least a semblance of an explanation! And it turns out to be the one that Zeos surmised in another thread on "coronavirus concern" - namely that they were considering cases per million people (or cases per 100K people, depending on how you want to count). I'll repeat below what I said in that thread, but updated with today's numbers:

If you're going to use new cases per million people as the primary criteria for entry, then compare Costa Rica's numbers to the US numbers. As of the time of this posting, the latest reported daily new cases in Costa Rica were 1002 (and rising). Costa Rica has a population of about 5.1 million people. So that works out to about 196 cases per million people. (Or 19.6 per 100K, if you're counting that way.)

By that yardstick, 44 states plus the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico are now in better shape than Costa Rica. Only 6 states have higher incidence: Mississippi (288), North Dakota (271), Georgia (231), Tennessee (203), Alabama (200), and Iowa (199).

With a positivity rate exceeding 40% at present, Costa Rica's real numbers are likely much worse (i.e., much higher than 200 per million), and it's probable that the entirety of the US is now in better shape than Costa Rica when it comes to coronavirus - at least by this yardstick.

References for this data: https://delfino.cr/2020/03/covid-19-en-costa-rica and https://covidactnow.org

Even though Costa Rica may reopen, the real limiting factor in tourists coming back may not be the restrictions on states, the insurance costs, or the ability to get PCR test results within 48 hours of take-off. The real limiting factor may be that Costa Rica's infection rate may be so high as to keep folks from going there (and possibly encountering quarantine on return). Costa Rica's numbers are presently on the rise and not looking good at all. And this cannot be logically blamed on tourists as tourists have been locked out while these cases have risen internally.

I wish the news was better - and it will be someday. But at present it looks, unfortunately, like Costa Rica is now going to take its turn at being a "coronavirus hot spot".

P.S.: If you view the Costa Rica data at the website https://delfino.cr/2020/03/covid-19-en-costa-rica, I recommend that you not use the Firefox web browser. I don't know why, but for some reason the graphs do not display. I have found that for me the site works fine and the graphs are visible using Edge or Chrome.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 1:30 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The situation in CR is a lot better. As of yesterday the President has taken some control of the restriction here. He was basically silent before and left the restrictions to Daniel Salas , the health minister.
Now there are protest at the Casa Presidente and the President announced the relaxing of the rules.
I think they will soon open CR to all Gringos and relax the rules for entry to CR.
Things are changing now and CR NEEDS GRINGOS. Make no mistake, when you can return, you will receive a very warm welcome and excellent prices. CR just got a huge lesson on how important gringos are to the whole economy.
When you return, stop into The Havana Humidor room for a large selection of cigars at your prices.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 2:42 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I think WishAsh has it right. The President has been in the background letting the Health Minister take the heat. The anger is now moving to him. He will start paying a major political price if things don’t change.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 3:50 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Just announced, Beginning September 15: Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Colorado.
Covid test changed from 48 hours to 72 hours.
More changes coming soon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:07 pm 

According to Tico Times: (https://ticotimes.net/2020/08/27/costa- ... equirement)

"Starting September 1, Costa Rica will allow tourists from Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. These two states and the capital are added to the following, previously announced states: New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Connecticut. As of September 15, the list will be further expanded with Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Colorado."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:18 pm 

Does anyone know if any of our favorite mongering places will reopen when these additional states are allowed entry? Yes I know I can call or email but I imagine they get lots of calls and emails.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:35 pm 

Today's announcements seem to confirm that Costa Rica's decisions on which states to allow seems to be heavily influenced, but not perfectly aligned with the number of cases per 100K population in each state.

If Costa Rica were a state, it would rank as the 7th worst state in the US today with 19.3 cases per 100K (based on today's value of 985 new cases in Costa Rica). 44 other states, DC, and Puerto Rico have better numbers than Costa Rica. Yet Costa Rica is still limiting many states that are in much better shape than Costa Rica itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:50 pm 

WiseAsh wrote:
The situation in CR is a lot better. As of yesterday the President has taken some control of the restriction here. He was basically silent before and left the restrictions to Daniel Salas , the health minister.
Now there are protest at the Casa Presidente and the President announced the relaxing of the rules.
I think they will soon open CR to all Gringos and relax the rules for entry to CR.
Things are changing now and CR NEEDS GRINGOS. Make no mistake, when you can return, you will receive a very warm welcome and excellent prices. CR just got a huge lesson on how important gringos are to the whole economy.
When you return, stop into The Havana Humidor room for a large selection of cigars at your prices.

Thanks for the encouraging info, WiseAsh.
Now if you only served beer at your shop...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next