www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:20 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

More states are being allowed in September:

Quote:
Starting September 1, Costa Rica will allow tourists from Maryland, Virginia and the District of Columbia. These two states and the capital are added to the following, previously announced states: New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Connecticut.

As of September 15, the list will be further expanded with Pennsylvania, Massachusetts and Colorado.

https://ticotimes.net/2020/08/27/costa- ... equirement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vJ05bY0wd0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:11 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

When they had 70-80 cases a day they closed everything down. Now they have 1000 cases a day and they are opening everything up. I don’t get it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:52 am 

Whitecat wrote:
When they had 70-80 cases a day they closed everything down. Now they have 1000 cases a day and they are opening everything up. I don’t get it.

Allowing tourists in that come from areas they consider low risk is about business. They don't want to be importing cases of Covid - most countries don't. But if you allow visitors from places that have low current new cases it helps their tourism industry.

The situation in the receiving country is a different issue. I guess it's "visitor beware". If you're virus free and willing to come to their country as a tourist, pay the bucks for insurance - you're welcome. But as a potential visitor - I'm not ready to take the chance at the moment. The chicas I have been in contact with have Covid cases in their families, it's all around in the San Jose area. If I did my normal 2 week tour there, there would be a high chance I would encounter someone with Covid, or carrying it. And where I live there is virtually none.

And.. they are not really opening everything up if you're there. There are lots of restrictions and rules...and they may have to have more to get this under a semblance of control.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:11 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Zeos wrote:
Allowing tourists in that come from areas they consider low risk is about business. They don't want to be importing cases of Covid - most countries don't. But if you allow visitors from places that have low current new cases it helps their tourism industry.

The situation in the receiving country is a different issue. I guess it's "visitor beware". If you're virus free and willing to come to their country as a tourist, pay the bucks for insurance - you're welcome. But as a potential visitor - I'm not ready to take the chance at the moment. The chicas I have been in contact with have Covid cases in their families, it's all around in the San Jose area. If I did my normal 2 week tour there, there would be a high chance I would encounter someone with Covid, or carrying it. And where I live there is virtually none.

And.. they are not really opening everything up if you're there. There are lots of restrictions and rules...and they may have to have more to get this under a semblance of control.

Spot-on assessment, Zeos. Caveat Emptor. I'm just as anxious as the next guy for things to get back to the way they were before covid, but I'm not going to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Costa Rica needs to get this under better control before I'm willing to return.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The Tico government knows it needs an infusion of cash and quickly. All these people with cases is costing them big money, the local business people can only be shutdown for so long before they revolt in public and they don't have an army to quell the revolt.
There is a minimal government safety net for the general population. The local economy was already shakey before the virus.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:33 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

article in todays qcosta rica
https://qcostarica.com/its-not-about-th ... e-dollars/

if you got the money you can get in from any state

Also, Costa Rica will now allow the arrival on private flights of citizens originating from “unauthorized places”.

As of September 1, private flights from the United States will also be allowed to enter the country, “given that due to their size and nature they have a much lower epidemiological risk” under the same requirements (passport, PCR test, travel insurance, completed health form) with the prior approval from the Ministry of Health and the General Directorate of Immigration.

Among the reasons for admissibility are investment analysis, property in Costa Rica; humanitarian reasons; etc.

Another is the allowing of the entry of private yachts in the marinas of Golfito, Los Sueños, Pez Vela, Banana Bay, and Papagayo.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:55 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Flabuck wrote:

Note that the case counts in this article are total case counts, but the author refers to them as number of cases per 100K. He better re-read his statistics and sharpen his math, because as if it isn't bad enough, these make the problem look way worse than it really is. He needs to divide the total case count by the population (in 100K's) if he wants to get to the right conclusion accurately. For example, he states that Ohio's case count is 1017 per 100K. Whoa!!! Check out the real rate at https://covidactnow.org/. It's 8.2 per 100K. Not 1017!!! No wonder people are confused!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:21 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
Flabuck wrote:

Note that the case counts in this article are total case counts, but the author refers to them as number of cases per 100K. He better re-read his statistics and sharpen his math, because as if it isn't bad enough, these make the problem look way worse than it really is. He needs to divide the total case count by the population (in 100K's) if he wants to get to the right conclusion accurately. For example, he states that Ohio's case count is 1017 per 100K. Whoa!!! Check out the real rate at https://covidactnow.org/. It's 8.2 per 100K. Not 985!!! No wonder people are confused!

Ohio new cases/day is 8.2 per 100K, so per day versus total cases. So depends what number he is referring to. Worldometers has total cases at just over 10,200 per million population for Ohio, which is a bit higher (1020 per 100 K) but close to 1017 per 100 K. So probably the number he is using. But your point is valid. The numbers can be confusing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:27 pm 

Today Costa Rica had the biggest daily count ever.....1115. And they are opening up more.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:36 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
Flabuck wrote:

Note that the case counts in this article are total case counts, but the author refers to them as number of cases per 100K. He better re-read his statistics and sharpen his math, because as if it isn't bad enough, these make the problem look way worse than it really is. He needs to divide the total case count by the population (in 100K's) if he wants to get to the right conclusion accurately. For example, he states that Ohio's case count is 1017 per 100K. Whoa!!! Check out the real rate at https://covidactnow.org/. It's 8.2 per 100K. Not 1017!!! No wonder people are confused!

And that link above shows states in order of new cases per 100 K population. The best states (at the bottom of the list) are almost exactly the ones that were approved for travel first - so it does look like that is the main number they (CR officials) used to determine which states would be first. Those numbers would change a little bit possibly since they made that decision, but it could suggest which ones might be next.

And I don't think that really has anything to do with new cases in Costa Rica. The article probably is right, that it is about tourism and getting money flowing in again. Those that choose to come may be concerned about Costa Rica's numbers of new cases, as I would be - but they don't mind letting in tourists from low risk areas especially since they have to be insured and they get a nice premium from that if you buy from INS.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:20 pm 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Spot-on assessment, Zeos. Caveat Emptor. I'm just as anxious as the next guy for things to get back to the way they were before covid, but I'm not going to jump out of the frying pan into the fire. Costa Rica needs to get this under better control before I'm willing to return.[/quote]

+ that!

I've had longer runs than the hopefully 9-12 months since inception of COVID that I haven't been to CR or CO. 2017 was a horrible year of monger for me, couldn't get away due to demanding work + grad. school + sold two properties. I think it was about an 18 month gap for me. I got in a couple TJ runs but that was it.

I can wait CR out some more. I did book a flight in April in case things were decent next week but I knew it was a gamble. Will get the points & $ back from AA. May go TJ in October but just for short afternoon runs and not in the make shift clubs.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:11 pm 

The QCostaRica article is an OPINION article. Y'all know about opinions, they are like assholes. Everybody has one.

There are 23,444 active cases in a country of 5 million, less than 1/2 of one percent. That is only slightly higher than your chance of being gang raped by a sloth in the airport bathroom.

What is the COVID risk in your current location?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 9:19 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Just open LAX and SAN up.. Ill roll the damn dice.. Im already on life #2. It's worth it at this point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:52 pm 

Boynton wrote:
The QCostaRica article is an OPINION article. Y'all know about opinions, they are like assholes. Everybody has one.

There are 23,444 active cases in a country of 5 million, less than 1/2 of one percent. That is only slightly higher than your chance of being gang raped by a sloth in the airport bathroom.

What is the COVID risk in your current location?

Not sure who this is directed to...but in my location it is very close to 0. We have no active cases at the moment, and have only had 2 new cases in a couple of months.

1/2 of 1 percent active cases seems pretty low, but when/if the numbers are increasing - it only gets worse. And at the moment, with limited testing, and obvious community spread, the cases in Costa Rica may well be understated. There is a reasonable chance I could encounter someone with it. In fact, one of the 2 chicas I am in contact with (email/Whatsapp) has it in her house (her mother was in hospital with it).

Anyway...I agree with you that the chances are not really high. But if there are 200 of "us" in the gulch at any given time I would say it is almost certain that one or more would end up with Covid. And then the girls that that person has seen, etc. etc.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:24 pm 

Each person can and should evaluate their own risk and make their own decision. I was pointing out that if you are waiting for 0 risk of infection you will never leave your front porch. Hey, personally, I'm OK with that. More poon for me.

There are many other reasons to delay a return to CR. Travel is a hassle. Most San Jose venues are still closed with no announced opening date. Recent on the ground reports from Jaco report are no better. Rules and restrictions change with little notice or predictability. If you are without local contacts you are pretty well limited to massage parlors which are running at half capacity. Or you adapt, you hunt, you explore.

But things are starting to open back up. It will start slow and the scene will be different. The weedlines are setting and the schoolies are gathering. Soon the feeding frenzy will begin. Those who wait until everything is back to normal are likely to miss out on the best pu*sy run of the decade. When they do finally arrive there will still be plenty of poon, but they are likely to hear "You should have been here yesterday, they were jumping in the boat."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next