www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:37 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

This is being coordinated with Manfred and Yendry (Reception) to collect money to help the Sportsman Staff (Receptionists, cooks, housekeeping, bar tenders, security)  pay for food and rent for them and their direct dependents. As we know many have Ch*ldren and family that they support.

Bill is aware of this.

Bill and Manfred have been paying the staff half their base salary, but as in any service industry they rely on tips which are not being paid. The CR government offers aid, however not all of the affected population have access to the aid and many still waiting.

With this being the case, several of us have been in communications trying to figure out best way to help and a gofundme page has been set up. https://www.gofundme.com/f/sportsman039s-staff

Manfred and Yendry have direct access to this for tracking of funds, and the site publicly shows who has donated what. (you can show up as Anonymous)

gofundme requires a US bank, so I will personally be handling the transactions and will moneygram the money to Yendry and Manfred so all the funds will be accounted for (they will handle the disbursement from there).  I will personally cover the fees from GoFundme, so the staff will get every penny donated (the fees will be my personal donation).

Please donate what you can, don't feel you need to donate anything you don't either feel comfortable donating or that puts yourself in a financial bind.

John

!!!!!!! it was brought to my attention that some folks are complaining that they "have to donate" to gofundeme itself on TOP of the donation....THIS IS NOT THE CASE....you can select the drop down box which shows "10%" and changed it to "Other" and then put in $0

Last edited by NYr on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:07 am 

Done

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:40 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

'RW' should never have to wait for a towel. Just saying :lol: Props man.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:03 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Done

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:50 am 

WOW....we met their original goal in the first few hours and then we increased it and met first day...increased again....hey goals are goals....just like real life you meet them you set new ones.

I know the staff appreciates it as I woke up this morning to whatsapp texts from several of them.

It looks like gofundme doesn't allow you to withdrawal when you want, so I have the withdrawal set up to weekly which happens on Mondays; according to gofundme, it takes a couple of days for the money to show up in my account (not sure if that is just for the first withdrawal or for subsequent ones as well...I am learning about gofundme as I go).

I will post things here to keep everyone updated such as when the money was sent to Yendry and Mansfred.

I know they will appreciate it....especially the K*ds who don't have an idea what is going on.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:55 am 

NYr wrote:
WOW....we met their original goal in the first few hours and then we increased it and met first day...increased again....hey goals are goals....just like real life you meet them you set new ones.

I know the staff appreciates it as I woke up this morning to whatsapp texts from several of them.

It looks like gofundme doesn't allow you to withdrawal when you want, so I have the withdrawal set up to weekly which happens on Mondays; according to gofundme, it takes a couple of days for the money to show up in my account (not sure if that is just for the first withdrawal or for subsequent ones as well...I am learning about gofundme as I go).

I will post things here to keep everyone updated such as when the money was sent to Yendry and Mansfred.

I know they will appreciate it....especially the K*ds who don't have an idea what is going on.

Done.....and well done by the community!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:19 pm 

All smiles John! If we meet at the lodge the drinks are on me!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:33 pm 

!!!!!!! it was brought to my attention that some folks are complaining that they "have to donate" to gofundeme itself on TOP of the donation....THIS IS NOT THE CASE....you can select the drop down box which shows "10%" and changed it to "Other" and then put in $0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:17 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

NYr wrote:

Hello,

This is a very nice gesture you’re doing. If you have a moment, could you please walk me through how this works? Is this a weekly stream of money of a one time deluge? I have never done a GoFundMe program so I don’t know how money goes from my pocket to the recipient. Will each employee get an equal portion regardless of their station or position? If you could kindly explain this, I would be most appreciative.

Actually, if GoFundMe makes the money transfer so complicated, couldn’t we ask SL to charge our credit card our donation to the fund? Then it goes from our credit card to SL for disbursement - a more direct route. Just a thought.

Thanks so much.

Have a great day ahead.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:42 pm 

Rolleratnight wrote:
Hello,

This is a very nice gesture you’re doing. If you have a moment, could you please walk me through how this works? Is this a weekly stream of money of a one time deluge? I have never done a GoFundMe program so I don’t know how money goes from my pocket to the recipient. Will each employee get an equal portion regardless of their station or position? If you could kindly explain this, I would be most appreciative.

No problem answering questions...I am learning how this works as well....and I will post next after I respond to you some additional info I got back from gofundme which will explain some as well....as I stated I am being as transparent as possible.

Process (at a highlevel):
1) you donate via the link provided and the donate button (be sure to select other amount for gofundme direct donation and put in $0.....they are charging in the backend just over 3% of the donations as a fee already....which I stated I will cover as my donation so every penny everyone donates gets to the staff).
2) the funds then take a few days depending on how they were donated (will describe in next post) and then they are available for withdrawal.
3) Withdrawal is set up to be done weekly, monthly or end of campaign (if not withdrawn in 90 days, they refund the money to everyone).....as I stated above, I set up for weekly to get the funds out as quick as possible at this point in time and would change later accordingly.

....and this is where we stand now...
4) withdrawal (less the fees gofundme takes) will be deposited into my personal bank account in the US based on what was available for withdrawal at that time (again takes various amounts of days to be fully available from the time the donation is made).
5) I will send the money to Yendry/Manfred including my coverage of the gofundme fees....how this is going to be done is still not determined, but likely via wire transfer.
6) yendry and Manfred will decide how to distribute and how much each person gets. I suggested walmart gift cards or gift cards to local grocery chain. As to how much each person gets, I don't know...either an even amount to everyone or some kind of ratio based on need, number of Ch*ldren etc....I am leaving that up to Yendry and Manfred....I trust them enough to make the right decision....I don't envy them as what ever they decide, not everyone will be happy (both staff and those who donated).

Steps 4- 6 will be repeated until we shut it down.

I think that covers it all...if I missed something I will add it.

Rolleratnight wrote:

Actually, if GoFundMe makes the money transfer so complicated, couldn’t we ask SL to charge our credit card our donation to the fund? Then it goes from our credit card to SL for disbursement - a more direct route. Just a thought.

If done that way, I think it would have to be looked at as a salary and all the taxes and paperwork associated with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm 

So here is the direct response on the funds availability I got this morning from Gofundme suport:

I can see that your withdrawals are completely set up, so you will start receiving funds soon. Our payment partner sends funds to your bank account as they are being processed. You might be seeing different withdrawals going out because it can depend on when the donations were made and how they were made. For example, donations from Visa or MasterCard can take 1-2 business days (3-5 days) to process and donations from AMEX can take 5-14 business days (7-18 days) to process.

I am seeing a withdrawal for $10,130.13 scheduled to go out on June 15th to the bank account ending in xxxx. Your first withdrawal isn't scheduled until June 15th, because it looks like a weekly frequency was selected when withdrawals were set up.

...info on account settings removed....

Weekly withdrawals will initiate on Mondays, and monthly withdrawals will initiate on the 1st of each month.

Also, your recent donations ($7,354.12) are just going through our verification process, which is completely normal. The funds will move from "pending" to "available" within 1-14 business days from the donation date, which can depend on the card provider. Once the funds become available, we'll automatically schedule a transfer, and you'll receive the money in 2-5 business days.

I hope this helps, but if you have any other questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out. We'll be right here for you

so that is what they said...which clears some things up but leaves others not clear.

Right now they are showing:
$18,625 raised by 62 donors
$18,066.25 raised after fees (as I stated I will contribute the difference to offset the fees....but being fully transparent).
Next withdrawal: Estimated June 22, $10,130.13 (this number has been increasing daily, which is based on the availability as mentioned above.

I am still confused on the June 22nd date when they support emailed me June 15th.....not sure if they are taking into account time until the money arrives in my account or not....but 7 days seems a long time for the money to arrive to me. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens. As I stated I will post when I see the money and when I send it to Yendry and Manfred.

Last edited by NYr on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:16 pm 

ok quick update...poking around the site, I changed the withdrawal setting to daily to get the first chunk of money out. I did that and now the website is showing the withdrawal date of June 19th vs June 22nd....better but still not making sense.

I will post when funds show up and when sent...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:19 pm 

NYr wrote:
ok quick update...poking around the site, I changed the withdrawal setting to daily to get the first chunk of money out. I did that and now the website is showing the withdrawal date of June 19th vs June 22nd....better but still not making sense.

I will post when funds show up and when sent...

Thanks so much for answering my questions and doing all the behind the scenes efforts; they are most appreciated.

I saw this on the website and guess this is GoFundMe puffing that you can withdraw the money anytime (effortlessly they make it appear).

https://www.gofundme.com/c/questions

How do I withdraw funds from my campaign?

Once your GoFundMe starts receiving online donations, you can easily request a withdrawal at any time. Withdrawing money does not affect the progress meter displayed on your campaign. Simply click ‘Withdraw’ while logged into your account and follow the instructions. You can withdraw your balance directly to your bank account. Bank transfers take 2-5 business days to arrive.

https://support.gofundme.com/hc/en-us/a ... ed-Country

Raising Funds for a Beneficiary in an Unsupported Country

You are welcome to raise funds for almost anyone in any country. However, if that person is in a country where we don’t operate yet, you will be personally responsible for delivering the funds outside of GoFundMe and outlining a transparent withdrawal plan on your fundraiser story.

Click here for a list of our supported countries.

Along with that, GoFundMe complies with all U.S. laws, including those set forth by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, US Department of the Treasury (OFAC). This means that in some rare cases, US sanctions will prohibit us from supporting a fundraiser for specific countries.

If this affects your fundraiser, you can apply for a license from OFAC here. Once that is done, our team will assist with the review of your account.
—————

I see what you mean about GoFundME makes it look so easy, yet you have to weave the distribution process all together and read through all this.

This is my personal opinion, but the less complicated and more equal this is, the better. If you go counting Babi*s and boyfriends of the recipients and giving disproportionately the greater the chance of resentment. If everyone gets the same amount all will feel fairly treated.

Thanks again for helping those less fortunate and may all make a contribution fitting to their means.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:27 pm 

I have just had another thought: it says that the donors will be revealed to the creators of the GoFundME page. Will the list of donors be transmitted to SL so that the recipients are made aware of those who thought of them in their time of need and made special allowances to alleviate their suffering?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:59 am 

Rolleratnight wrote:

This is my personal opinion, but the less complicated and more equal this is, the better. If you go counting Babi*s and boyfriends of the recipients and giving disproportionately the greater the chance of resentment. If everyone gets the same amount all will feel fairly treated.

As stated, leaving it up to Yendry and Manfred to decide.