www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Virus charity fund
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:46 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

2 things to add:

1. If you plan to send this money to CR via Moneygram, you will want to re-think that. First, there is a monthly limit (I don't remember what it is but it's less than your total) so you will go over with this amount. Second, CR really overreaches their authority when the receiver picks up the money. They will give the receiver a hard time when trying to pick up the money. Let me give you 2 examples. (1) My wife sent her sister (my sister in law) $1500 from the US to CR. When she went to pick up the money, they asked her a million questions about what the money is for, from who, where do they live, same questions 5 different ways trying to catch her in a discrepancy to deny the transaction. (2) We needed to send a friend of our in CR 5 payments of $1200 each. It was every 2 weeks i think. The first 2 went through no problem, but when she went to pick up the 3rd, they wouldn't give her the money saying that she needed a notarized affidavit from us describing what the money was for, or they gave her the option of bringing a lawyer to their office to pick up the money. Absolutely ridiculous how moneygram employees are playing customs officers.

2. If your motive is purely to help the less fortunate, the difference you make in people's lives is incredible. I hope this isn't some kind of buying somebody's affection or getting on somebody's good side. Nothing would surprise me anymore. We have never sought publicity or praise for what we did, but a few years back, we did something similar for Scores employees who weren't being paid by the scumbag American owner and then lost their jobs when he got closed down. I think we collected a couple of thousand. I took the money to CR and met up with a few guys and we invited the 12 employees and handed each of them an envelope. They didn't expect anything like that, and the look in their faces was very touching. It was a total shock that strangers would help them like this. You won't have that in-person experience due to the virus, but know that you are making a difference. And to the guy who made 3 donations totaling $8500 (more than half the total raised), props to you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 5:16 pm 

Thanks for the update Inspector. I know you are doing your best and making every effort to help our friends at the Sportsman.
I know how it is because in 2013 or 2014 a group of brothers were involved in raising money for the staff of HLH who were left without being paid before Christmas when the owner vanished without paying any wages or bills.
Senior member Orange took over the job of using a paypal account to collect the funds and they were distributed at a special ceremony held at Zona Blue.
Keep up the good work.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:22 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I Will answer some questions here: (We have the other thread I started too on the actual fund as an FYI which has info posted which answers some of the questions posed in this thread…. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52386)
Isra123 wrote:
Certainly it is a good idea and a good cause but it is also necessary to inform all how the funds are being distributed and to whom.
Like everything else transparence is the best policy.

Refer to above link. i plan to be as transparent as I would want someone else to be to me.

FartBlossom wrote:

So, is the goal still to feed the employees in need or just to raise as much money as possible? If it is food, why are the employees now 4X hungrier? Will they magically become 8X hungrier? Has anyone developed a budget of the ACTUAL need? :roll:

How about some detail on how this has been or will be distributed? (Yes, I am one who has given)

First, we were not expecting so much in donations (which is a good thing), we just thought some money for a week of food would be great. I will also admit I didn’t realize how many folks work there….they have about 45 employees….so with original thought of a week of food wasn’t accurate.

Orange wrote:
2 things to add:

1. If you plan to send this money to CR via Moneygram, you will want to re-think that. First, there is a monthly limit (I don't remember what it is but it's less than your total) so you will go over with this amount. Second, CR really overreaches their authority when the receiver picks up the money. They will give the receiver a hard time when trying to pick up the money. Let me give you 2 examples. (1) My wife sent her sister (my sister in law) $1500 from the US to CR. When she went to pick up the money, they asked her a million questions about what the money is for, from who, where do they live, same questions 5 different ways trying to catch her in a discrepancy to deny the transaction. (2) We needed to send a friend of our in CR 5 payments of $1200 each. It was every 2 weeks i think. The first 2 went through no problem, but when she went to pick up the 3rd, they wouldn't give her the money saying that she needed a notarized affidavit from us describing what the money was for, or they gave her the option of bringing a lawyer to their office to pick up the money. Absolutely ridiculous how moneygram employees are playing customs officers.

Moneygram was original plan…with the amount we are talking about now, we are working things out on how to do an alternative way. Likely I will send via a Wire Transfer to Yendry/Manfred….again not decided yet. Looking into different options and fees associated with them and ability to do such an amount as well as the safety of people.
And in defense of Moneygram in your scenario…..they don’t know if it is money laundering and they need to comply with international laws.
Orange wrote:

2. If your motive is purely to help the less fortunate, the difference you make in people's lives is incredible. I hope this isn't some kind of buying somebody's affection or getting on somebody's good side.

Not at all. I have received a few thank you messages and I have told them I am just the organizer, everyone else should be thanked. Hell I won’t likely be there until at the earliest October…they won’t even remember me by then. LOL
Orange wrote:
And to the guy who made 3 donations totaling $8500 (more than half the total raised), props to you.

I have not even noticed that….though I really haven’t been paying attention to the individual donations; Yendy is keeping track of that (she and Manfred have full visibility)…..but if true WOW…big time Kudos.

Inspector71 wrote:
The idea was to have the front desk staff purchase food for the rest of the staff.

That was original idea and still a possibility, but may not be as feasible with the amount we are talking about now. Ultimately Yendry and Manfred’s decision. I suggested gift cards to a local food chain or to Walmart….but again their decision.

Inspector71 wrote:
So far, to the best of my knowledge, no funds have been sent from the GoFundMe account to Costa Rica. I am hoping that can be accomplished in the next day or so to start helping the staff.

Nothing has been distributed yet, I will post these updates in other thread. I am learning gofundme and I have an email into support about the transferring of funds to me (I did set up my account info already.)

Right now, a few things I did learn:
1) They don’t transfer funds until they have been verified. So not sure how folks paid or how long before they are actually available…how is this determined I don’t know and is one of my questions to support
2) I did set up transfers to be weekly (you have only weekly, monthly or at the close of the fund raiser as options). Weekly are done Mondays. I thought that would transmit the $15k+ to my account sometime this week (they do say it can take 3-5 days to show up in my account). I logged in this morning to see if I can see the actual amount sent to start planning, but system doesn’t show anything and only shows in “history” a transfer scheduled for June 22nd of just over $5k……so it all doesn’t make sense to me which is why I sent questions off (they said currently it can take them 48 hours to answer questions due to Covid 19….not sure why that has anything to do with it, but that is what their site states).
As a note: I planned to set the transfer to weekly for this week to get the big chunk of money to the SL staff ASAP and then reset it to monthly for subsequent donations.

I will update the other thread with funding disbursement news including any updates pertaining to my questions and the initial transfer time frame. I am really hoping we get them the money this week and not the June 22nd date listed for the $5k and hoping the $5k was money not verified yet. (there is no breakdown that I have been able to find)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:05 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Hush, no more of these virus things I lost a shitload of work :(

Last edited by Inspector71 on Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:16 pm 

Bravo NYr!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:34 pm 

!!!!!!! it was brought to my attention that some folks are complaining that they "have to donate" to gofundeme itself on TOP of the donation....THIS IS NOT THE CASE....you can select the drop down box which shows "10%" and changed it to "Other" and then put in $0

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:03 pm 

That's what I did, I'm not donating money to gofundme, skunks are already taking a % off the top!

We are at 17950 guys!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:38 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I'm a bit skeptical of the 45 employees number. However, $20K divided among 45 employees (already on half pay) is a tad over $440 per employee. Given that nothing has been distributed and the SL reopens on July 1, that will be quite a windfall. The Walmart gift cards are a no-brainer. They sell Imperial, Cacique and Derby. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 6:47 pm 

Listen, you can only control so much. These are adults, let them figure out how to spend it. They won't be getting any more, so if they Phuck it up, oh well....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:01 pm 

FartBlossom wrote:
I'm a bit skeptical of the 45 employees number.

I was too....then I started a list of folks I know who work there (not necessarily know them by name) and I came up with 36...so doesn't seem too off.

FartBlossom wrote:
Given that nothing has been distributed and the SL reopens on July 1, that will be quite a windfall.

1) opening at half capacity...and I doubt they will even meet that.
2) I don't see them being back to normal until the fall. Hell just look at posts about traveling there on this board, a lot of folks are just going to avoid booking anything until things are known to be open. Several US airlines aren't even scheduling flights at this point until they know for sure the borders are opened; then when they do know it will likely be a week or two before they start up operations again (they would need to prepare). We also don't know if when borders open up, are they going to require a mandatory two week quarantine...try to explain a quick weekend get away where you are staying at SL.

FartBlossom wrote:
The Walmart gift cards are a no-brainer. They sell Imperial, Cacique and Derby. :roll:

have a better idea which is perfect?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:03 am 

NYr, what you are doing is a very good thing. You should be proud. I wouldn't waste my time responding to some of the loathsome creatures who infest this board. Hell, none of them are contributing anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:16 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Do they have anything there like the reloadable green dot cards that you can get @ Walmart. It would be a lot of work, but you might be able to have them all get one, and load them with money from a US account. Then they could spend them wherever they need, and don't have to worry about collecting cash from a money gram or anything.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:42 pm 

Jay2ee wrote:
NYr, what you are doing is a very good thing. You should be proud. I wouldn't waste my time responding to some of the loathsome creatures who infest this board. Hell, none of them are contributing anyway.

thanks, but the donations are what matters. I am just a facilitator.

As far as responding to "loathsome creatures"; when there are legit skepticism or questions I will answer. Also if someone has an idea to do something better, I am open to listening too. There was discussions around how to best do this for a couple of weeks and this is what we came up with....but there may still be better ideas.

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
Do they have anything there like the reloadable green dot cards that you can get @ Walmart. It would be a lot of work, but you might be able to have them all get one, and load them with money from a US account. Then they could spend them wherever they need, and don't have to worry about collecting cash from a money gram or anything.

We don't want them to spend the money wherever they need. We wanted to focus this towards food as best as we can.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:25 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

You seem to be doing the best job possible under difficult circumstances.

I will now shut my trap and crawl back into my loathsome lair. It might smell sulfurous, but it has bourbon and chicas. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:56 am 

FartBlossom wrote:
but it has bourbon and chicas. :mrgreen:

Blantons I hope.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next