www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 11:53 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Guess one would never of thought seeing a new post from the shadows of a distant corner shaded by cobwebs of CRT past …

Well – “Here’s Johnnie” … No, I am not the one with an ax to smash in anyone’s door or party playhouse just to get a quick lookie see who’s that … and No, I’m not behind any curtains that may have been pulled or speckled on at the Presidente Hotel …

Both by the way are distant memories for me … It’s been a long while since I’ve been on the forum site and I’m so glad to see and read that there are still some old party goats still chewing the fat … also seeing many new tag names that have been earning their stripes playing with tasty candy bites while stroking their imaginary pipes …

For health reasons my days of thunder have been nothing much more than a sprinkling stream … The fire in the belly has gone cold (not of my choosing) … My last trip to CR was in 2017 and that was when I discovered that the old oak tree was diminishing … the ticker of life was winded and the house of cards came tumbling down when I returned back to home base South Florida …

It has been a long journey coming up on three years (June 2020) … (medically) I am ticking on borrowed time but blessed still to be here witnessing the art of mongering at its pure fineness in many different shapes, colors and rock of ages.

One does not realize how much you miss the game until you are sidelined and put on waivers. Looking back, we all once were that young buck rookie who marched onto the Del Ray playing field for the very first time …. Back in time, how can a person forget the crowds the coaches and the Players! … Experience was earned with the guidance of CRT coaches that were always there for support and needs.

Your day of reckoning was the arena where you played the field and the players were golden to the tee. Always nice to go up against another fellow rookie opponent who may have just started her strut up on the top rail.

But then satisfaction was always best when you tangled with a Hall of Famer that knew the playbook inside and out and when the game was over there was no attitude, or injustice, just awesome memories and excitement to tell stories about.

Golden Days memories from the past … Old stadiums crumble, coaches get moved, players get old … Yes, the game continues but there are new rules, ticket prices have increased, there are now traveling teams that like the surf, or have coded addresses and phones to crack.

Many of young rookies are now seniors, some still able to play with a grin of satisfaction as their stats are on display. While others have relocated to new leagues overseas … or … have jerseys that are dated pressed and folded because their days have long passed, or worst yet we may have grieved.

I cheer from the bleachers – to all that can hear, It’s me Johnnie Black the old timer/ rookie who seemed to be always in the sack. Thanks to all my coaches, and to all that played the game – If god willing I may one day come back just for old timers’ sake just to see if I can still block and tackle and maybe get a bedtime snack ….

In my own little way I dedicate this dribble of a text to one of our Long Time CRT members and a great mentor “Witling”…

Our buddy is suffering right now and needs many of prayer … I’ve not asked or really been given any permission to say anything here officially … and knowing him he may be a bit pissed that I even mention anything.

Witling is one of the 1st CRT guys that I met (@Presidente open air restaurant - at a table next to their famous walking street rail) during my maiden trip to CRT back in early 2000’s… We became good friends with many of trips together as we notched on our individual vanity belts …

The most memorable was our traveling team of CRT members (old Admin1 included) that went to explore the beaches (and other sites, and dirty deeds) in Rio de Janeiro. Many of great tall tales that will always be remembered (and were all so true) to say the least …

Witling – You Best Hang Tough Brother … Life is eternal in more ways than one … Your documented roadmaps and tutoring guidance have been legendary and always be a wingman’s manual for dreams that do come true … This is not the time to be flying solo – Fight the fight, be your own advocate, and try your best to stay as Positive as you can possible be …..

Godspeed … JB

Last edited by Johnnie Black on Sat May 30, 2020 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 12:15 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Johnny Black! I saw Uncle Whit in Patts a year ago and he told me that you were going through a bad patch at the time. Good to see you doing well, albeit not quite up to a Get Rhythm style 5 - some at the Sportsman’s. :D

Witling told me last year he was considering pulling up stakes in Thailand and possibly relocating to Medellin. I reached out a few times over the year and he hadn’t responded. Give him my regards.

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 4:52 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Brother Phoenix … appreciate the kind words and thoughts and can anyone live up to the standards of Get Rhythm? With all due respect!!! :lol: ... There are certainly mountain tops that have been walked on and conquered but landmarks are to be cherished in their face of glory and attributes .. Get Rhythm is that landmark that many wishes to be … So, we sit back and just enjoy … what was and what is.

Sometimes we take good health for granted that is until you no longer have good health and then we gasp Why Me? ... I am extremely fortunate to be sitting on a Trifecta ticket of dark clouds, doom and gloom that has not yet been cashed in …

Blessed as I might be, our beloved friend Uncle Witling is now up against the rails and the finish line is fast approaching! This race is something that was not planned or even considered to be, Such is life, I guess …

Kind of sucks when your ticket comes up and you’re now on that home stretch fighting to finish with a perfecta of good news …. Prayers for our friend!

JB ….

“Sing like no one is listening, love like you never been hurt., dance like nobody is watching, and live like it’s heaven on earth.” ~ Mark Twain ~

“Never regret a day in your life. Good days give you happiness and bad days give you experience.” ~ Anonymous ~

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 9:42 am 

Is it witling johnnie,my thoughts and prayers for witling..remember. CRT parties in zone blue and presidente at the rail ..great times

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 11:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Hey Neighbor Osgood … It has been a while / hope you are doing well my friend! …
It’s nice to see that this village of ours still has elders that can remember back to the “golden years” of CRT. We shall soon be celebrating our 17-year anniversary of this forum created and embellished by some of the greatest orators, story writers, and field staff recognized in cyber world …

It all had its beginnings in late August 2003 by original Admin 1 and a few of his close associates T-man, Dallasman and SafaDino … That same month there would be other key players joining the group with the likes of – Jazz Musician, Polijo, LVSteve, Downanup, Zigmonger, Cygnus, SeaHawk, Might1, … Sept 2003 Easy, Nucknfuts and the honorable Circus joined in on the fun … October 2003 we had PacoLoco, Buzzfla, Express321 and Witling … November 2003 Koppite, Novice, SinCity, then there was You and myself joining in on the fun ….

The CRT site had its base now covered and from that point on (social dialog) history was made …. CRT was way before it’s time – 2 years before MySpace and YouTube were developed and 3 years before Facebook became what it is today…
Current CRT stats are 545,724 total post, with 45,665 total topics and a membership well over 41 thousand strong with new members joining still to this day ….

I must add that the CRT site is and always has been an adult online social community discussing relevant travel interest that highlights the absolute best of what is offered not only for the Costa Rica regions but for around the world … In No Way has the site represented anything more than a social community banter back and forth with sometimes relevant travel highlights that may highlight interest for likeminded people involved …

I am not an official of the site or never have been, but I do enjoy the relationships built over the many years that I’ve been a member of this social intercourse experiment …. / :wink:

Osgood … Oh yes, great memories from our Presidente - early morning gathers along the rail … Heck it took an early riser to get a good seat because early mornings would always seem to drift into afternoons then off to the Del Rey for our mid-afternoon cocktails … and who could forget our awesome host at the original Zona Blue.

Wanda was a charmer and a friendly host for many of the old crew… My fondest memory was our 2nd Year Anniversary shining the spotlight on Admin1 sitting in the center of the room in a chair being entertained by all the Zona Blue dancers. First time I ever seen him speechless – Awesome “wholesome” fun had by all.

With all the fond memories there still leaves a sad note for all that have moved on to another realm – something that is inevitable true but it doesn’t takeaway all the great memories we have enjoyed over the many years …. And it continues to this day with new feedback, backstories, token displays of encouragements and social networking at its finest …

A Sportsman Cheers to all that walk that way or maybe a La Amistad comfy meal or two and a wink and blessing for the Del Rey & Cocal friendlies that always seem to have their best of intentions for making a visit to Costa Rica most memorial of all – Prayers for Witling and others who may be suffering through some difficult times right now…

~Nothing Ventured Nothing Gained ~ …. Pura Vida - JB 8)

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:35 pm 

JB, thank you for the mini history of CRT.

As the great poet Tennyson said :

The old oder changes giving place to new
And God fulfill himself in many ways
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 12:46 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

JB,

Not sure if we met but we sure could of stared at each other’s smoking hot Chicas at one time or another!

I loved your post. I am still young, late 50s, and also stayed at the Presidente many back times back in 2003-2006. I remember the open air restaurant vividly, watching all the regular Ticas walking to and from the bus station while ignoring the beggars....good times and good memories! Sigh...

You have reinvigorated my dedication to enjoy my health and lust for life while I still have both!

God bless, be safe!

Caliman

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No advice, tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:07 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Isra123 wrote:
JB, thank you for the mini history of CRT.

As the great poet Tennyson said :

The old oder changes giving place to new
And God fulfill himself in many ways
Lest one good custom should corrupt the world.

Californiamann wrote:
JB,

Not sure if we met but we sure could of stared at each other’s smoking hot Chicas at one time or another!

I loved your post. I am still young, late 50s, and also stayed at the Presidente many back times back in 2003-2006. I remember the open air restaurant vividly, watching all the regular Ticas walking to and from the bus station while ignoring the beggars....good times and good memories! Sigh...

You have reinvigorated my dedication to enjoy my health and lust for life while I still have both!

God bless, be safe!

Caliman

Isra / Caliman …. As you both probably know the true history begins back in “30’s when CR first recognized there was money to be made in tourism. It was then the first private hotel was established in San Jose. The hotel was named Gran Hotel Costa Rica and this historic building still exist today… Located near the Gold Museum and the National Theatre … claim to fame guest include John Wayne, Harry Truman, and John F. Kennedy (1963) … [Presidential Suite named in his honor @ hotel] …

Costa Rica’s legal system is based off Roman Law rather Common Law and penal codes would have to indicate prostitution to be illegal which it does not (Those Romans sure knew how to have fun :lol: ) … As a result, the world’s greatest occupation remains solid to this day in the land we call paradise.

I have read somewhere that more than 10% of tourist $’s / revenue is generated in the fine sport of Bed Hopping … 80% - 90% $’s comes from general tourism … In fact, the government has a voluntary registration program for the gals to register with the Caja Costaricense de Seguro Social. They receive a carry ID and are intitled to free health checks every 15 days and several other perks…

Just because the red light’s shine in a district of love and favors does not mean all bets are off. If you partake in pimping, brothel ownership, or promoting then your cards get folded and you will be sleeping on the bathroom floor next to a urinal like what’s his name did …. (No need for added details or stirring any simmering pots) …

So it began and the mice found where the cheese was located and the rest is history ... Our Rat Pack of gents just became of age and with new social means of technology and have become friends and brothers over the years with friendly discussions (and sometimes discord) over the many interesting pleasures and experiences that can be had in the land we love to visit or some call home!

Side Note – Caliman: I’m sure we have walked similar paths in stride with spinners a spinning and cigars a smoke’n in the days of yesteryear … I used to bring sand to the beach only because Perdomo’s are based here in Miami so a case of sticks would do me and a few of my wingman justice that is until the No Smoke laws were passed … And then the spinners found McDonalds and life seem to change a notch or two … Heck, my pant size has also increased a notch or two over the years … so who am I to ever complain … :roll:

JB 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:44 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

JMS wrote:
I stayed at the PREZ for my first trip in December of 2004, and many trips after that. Loved hanging out on the rail for breakfast and afternoon beers and cigars. Maybe I did meet some of you there. Wishing everyone good health and happiness. :D

JMS … The Hotel Presidente holds a very nice place in most of our original crews hearts as we had a getaway place to stay that was very safe, clean, quiet and hospitable but still close to the bright lights and starlets that we so admired … (the only bitch for some was the walk of shame up and down that hill). :oops:

This was long before Bill and Matt came into the picture but when the format changed and strict guidelines were put in place at the Prez we all needed a new home base to call home and SL, LA, had their welcome mats ready … Sure the HDR had its patronage of convenience but for those looking for an off switch and great hospitable host both SL & LA were prime properties and still are to this day!

That be said, nothing compares to the many early morning breakfast outings while sitting along the rail at the Prez … Is was a final dagger thrust when they walled off the open-air restaurant for commercial business ….

~ For in life there will never be the same yesterday. Enjoy today in order to have some wonderful yesterdays to talk about tomorrow.”
~Mitta Xinindlu ~

JB 8)

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 7:08 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I do not post much enjoy the read when not traveling.I have crossed path with many a monger in my days around the world.The old crt parties at zona blue.The morning coffee on the rail with stories of the night before exploits.Time does march forward and like history tales need to be documented and good people thought of often.Enjoy every day and people you cross paths with.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 9:56 pm 

I shared some trips with Witling back in the day and wish him the best .He has my thoughts and prayers. Those were some good times back in the early days of CRT. I made a lot of friends during those travels several of whom have remained friends. good to see some of the old timers posting. Don't post much here any more as my travels have taken me mostly to SE Asia. Best wishes to all.
rbc100

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:33 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Hello Jim15687 & RBC100 …

It is nice to see the old guard still monitoring these forums (Congrats 16 years and counting) … Once filled with daily flow of information, backstories (literally LOL), and goodwill information about the sub -tropical arena and surrounding areas. This site has always had the sense of camaraderie and trust among its membership.

We all love the country, the culture, the standards for convenience, and the companionship that is most giving from the opposite sex. … Whether it be a weekender, a fortnight, or permanent residency the worst day you may have in country can be equaled to your best day in your homeland ….

Sure, many have come and gone, but the heartbeat of most travels began in Costa Rica … I am one to raise a hand been there done that, then moved on to other hobby areas but the memories of all that I have met while in CR will never be forgotten. I was fortunate that my small circle of friends where tolerant of my mischief’s ways, but everything was in good spirits and meanings.

We talk about mentorships and there were no better for me than the likes of Tomas, Dino, T-man, Witling, Mighty1, Vegas Bob, Dongordo, Dave, GringoTim, Downandup, Prolijo, Snooky … and several more … I have had the pleasure of traveling to Rio with several of these Rock Stars - another chapter or two of great memories there as well!

Jim/RBC … Great seeing you post up and taking time to reminisce about the past and hoping the future holds just as many great memories we all once had here on CRT and in country.

“The future influences the present just as much as the past.” ~Anonymous ~

All Be Safe … Cheers … JB 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:04 am 

All the best to Witling, one of the first CRT guys that I met.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 2:57 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I wish the best for Witling, he's a great guy and deserves our prays, we lost contact after some years and it's sad to hear that he's not doing so good.

I wonder who else in the old crowd is still around? I am although I moved home to the UK and don't expect to return to San Jose again.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:52 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Downandup wrote:
I wonder who else in the old crowd is still around? I am although I moved home to the UK and don't expect to return to San Jose again.

Downandup …
Great to see your posting here – Another 2003 Alum! … It has been what close to 15 years since we last seen each other – You were at the time very instrumental in my transitional research and preparations for travels to Rio. You returned back to South Florida from Leme Beach in Rio https://www.carnivalbookers.com/rio-de- ... aches/leme and we met up and had a bite to eat - you also burned a fresh copy of the infamous “Magic CD” for me.

I was very fond of having a comfortable setting in my rooms during all my trips so with all the added amenities that I would bring in tow I would also have a CD of sorts (Radio/Jukebox) player to listen to various mood music. Mind you this period was long before Giga/Terabyte Thumb drives, Bluetooth connections and SiriusXM, Spotify, Pandora, Dropbox, or Cloud base storage existed. Heck “Cloud Base Storage” was where all the good mongers would go after there glorious life here on land and sea. :twisted:

The Magic CD was a celebrated knockout punch when it came to bedroom hijinks. Like a heated scooper to a bucket of cold Ice cream, as soon as you turned on this magical cd of songs your chica was lifted to a new place and being … Foolish is foolish does but for many it did work “magic” for them including me!

D-man I hope you are practicing safe distancing over in the UK - it’s a cray, cray world we are now living and not the time to be taking any undo risk. I’ll let our boy Wit know you were asking about him and give him your sentiments of cheer!

Orange, same to you brother - I'll let Wit know you're thinking about him ... Be Safe!

“We travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us.” ~ Anonymous ~

JB … 8)