www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guys on the ground
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:37 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I was curious about what’s the forecast from the guys on the ground in CR. I know that the border closure has been extended until the end of the month but what about the social distancing measures which are causing wide spread closures. Any word on when they will start to be lifted there ? Are they likely to start loosening up before the border re-opens, the same time or afterwards ? I was just curious as to what’s the feel there or if it’s the same unknown we are experiencing here in the states.

Post subject: Re: Guys on the ground
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:32 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Read TicoTimes.net and QCostaRica.com
The Government is *supposed* to make an announcement at 12:30 local time today about next week's restrictions.
(Modified internal travel restrictions to the end of month, link below)
https://ticotimes.net/2020/04/11/costa- ... oronavirus

IMO, the people are still making light of it, the government is doing what it can. It looks to me like the government preparing for a post Easter flood on people back from Nicaragua. The police have bern doing what they can to prepare to block illicit crossings. They even set up an airbase at the Nicaraguan border.

It shouldn't be a problem, Nicaragua only reports 7 active cases and 1 death and Daniel Ortega hasn't been seen for a month, what me worry? :oops: :oops: :oops:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-nica ... SKCN21S010

PS: Happy Juan Santamaría Day!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:59 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Boynton wrote:
The Government is *supposed* to make an announcement at 12:30 local time today about next week's restrictions.

IMO, the people are still making light of it, the government is doing what it can. It looks to me like the government preparing for a post Easter flood on people back from Nicaragua. The police have bern doing what they can to prepare to block illicit crossings. They even set up an airbase at the Nicaraguan border.

It shouldn't be a problem, Nicaragua only reports 7 active cases and 1 death and Daniel Ortega hasn't been seen for a month, what me worry? :oops: :oops: :oops:

thanks for the update - im constantly looking for updates to decide between TJ or CR as my post-cuarentena celebration trip

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:27 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Boynton wrote:

Thanx for the update !!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 pm 

Two skateboarders arrested and their boards seized for violating vehicular restrictions.
https://qcostarica.com/in-these-times-o ... rding-not/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:12 pm 

At least this might have gotten rid of some of the friggin' noisy motociclistos in San Jose.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:25 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
At least this might have gotten rid of some of the friggin' noisy motociclistos in San Jose.

Yes, but they will be back before you are. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have never experienced this much quiet in San Jose. Better quiet than gunfire. :shock:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:18 pm 

Ah, breaker one-nine, this here's the Rubber Duck .....

Truckers In Transit Will Move In Police Convoys
https://qcostarica.com/truckers-in-tran ... e-convoys/

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:24 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

an 8 mile line of trucks to get into Costa Rica, that is nuts. Not sure how any trucking company or trucker can work under those conditions.

Last edited by Flabuck on Fri May 22, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 pm 

And only one pit stop. Pity the poor guy that has to clean the bathroom when they depart. :oops:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 6:58 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

They will be dying like flies here soon if you believe the US media hype. Downtown was close to business as usual yesterday afternoon with thousands of people interacting without masks or social distancing. If they only have slight fluctuations in the virus count here in San Jose over the next two weeks something tells me we've been had. Anything less than 20 new cases a day in San Jose with the number of people out that I observed will be a strong indicator that keeping people from interacting on the beaches and visiting the parks and museums was a bad joke. Dozens of people shoulder to shoulder in bus lines. Crowds at every corner waiting for light changes. Taxis operating with no attempt to sanitize between customers. Buses wiped down in thirty seconds at bus stops. Homeless people lying side by side out of the rain on sidewalks. Strange but the homeless are not dying left and right. Sharing bottles and crack pipes must give immunity. The restrictions are saving lives. Fewer people dying in traffic accidents. This loosening of restrictions did not start yesterday. People have been crowding the streets downtown since Easter weekend. The pensions are open. They are just restricted on how many rooms they can use and how many girls can be on the property. The beauty shops and barber shops are operating normally. Some bars are open but are made to enforce social distancing. Most restaurants are closed. The healthcare system has not been overburdened. People have been discouraged from using the system for normal needs so they are actually on vacation. No lines outside of the hospitals waiting to get into emergency. When things do open back up it will not be business as usual. The whole scene will change. Prepare to adjust.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 7:35 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Pops wrote:
They will be dying like flies here soon if you believe the US media hype. Downtown was close to business as usual yesterday afternoon with thousands of people interacting without masks or social distancing. If they only have slight fluctuations in the virus count here in San Jose over the next two weeks something tells me we've been had. Anything less than 20 new cases a day in San Jose with the number of people out that I observed will be a strong indicator that keeping people from interacting on the beaches and visiting the parks and museums was a bad joke

It is damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I don’t know the situation in CR, but in the US they opened things up and the cases are increasing…but they are also increasing as there are more test kits available and they are testing more people instead of just those in bad shape. So no one really has the data to determine if the shutdowns worked or not and will never know.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 8:49 pm 

NYr wrote:
It is damned if you do and damned if you don’t. I don’t know the situation in CR, but in the US they opened things up and the cases are increasing…but they are also increasing as there are more test kits available and they are testing more people instead of just those in bad shape. So no one really has the data to determine if the shutdowns worked or not and will never know.

Oh. My. Goodness. Are Americans now just simply stupid and cannot figure stuff out after being spoon fed an encyclopedia of information from FOX, CNN, Al Jazeera, etc.?

TWO YEARS AND THEN SOME. GET USED TO IT. IT IS WHAT IT IS.

I'm waiting for these experimental people in Wisconsin......woo hoo!!! "I can get a beer....." boys; round, hairy, wanna bees tough GI JOE types; never seen day one of anything and just wondering Where they gonna be in one month following their first week of beer??

Three things the Double OG require: Pad, pu*sy, Staying High. Period. :!:

8)

"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the over-compensations for misery. And, of course, stability isn't nearly so spectacular as instability. And being contented has none of the glamour of a good fight against misfortune, none of the picturesqueness of a struggle with temptation, or a fatal overthrow by passion or doubt. Happiness is never grand."
- Aldous Huxley, Brave New World, Ch. 16

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 1:37 pm 

My best guess is that international travel will resume based on regional agreements (travel and supply chain bubbles). This can already be seen with New Zealand/Australia and another in the smaller Baltic States states. These will open quickly with quarantine free travel. While this is happening, other regions will begin to form; Asia/Pacific, European, North American. I believe Central an South America be the redheaded step Ch*ldren. The Middle East, Russia, and China will be wildcards.

These regions will not only be related to travel (and thereby mongering), but also reconfiguring supply chains and the distribution of testing supplies, promised vaccines, and therapeutics.

I don't believe an extended period of 14-day quarantines or contact tracing will work. I think they will be a fatal impediment to tourism. I also think Costa Rica will try these approaches first. This pipe dream will dominate the next year.

Costa Rica will resist regional consolidation. Their ties to China will not serve them well. IMO, they need to court both the North American and European regions. Central America is too disconnected economically and politically to form its own region Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua and El Salvador are too poor and violent to join with Costa Rica.

I think US mongering and tourism will take place in Mexico. I expect that the North American "bubble" develop more quickly and lead to economic recovery. Mexico is already part of the North American industrial supply chain. I think this nearness will lead the US to help Mexico's health care sector second only to the US when it comes to testing and vaccines. Also important is the land based border crossing. Mexico will need to harden its border with Honduras. To meet our interests, mongering will need to develop in the hinterland away from the US/Mexico border and away from the high dollar tourist enclaves.

My personal plan is to stay in CR for the next couple of years and see how things develop. It would please me to proved wrong and there is still enough for me to enjoy here. There is still plenty of pu*sy around. My concern is that a devastated local economy will produce an assault on those perceived to be wealthy. So far, I have not seen any price deflation either in or outside the hobby. Market dynamics will be a painful lesson.

Last edited by Boynton on Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:43 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Interesting topic. I 100% agree with your thoughts on the 14 day rule. Its impossible.

What time frame are you talking about in terms of Mexico? Short term it cant happen. They denied the problem so long they are disaster right now. In the months to come (medium term) you might be right although I sincerely hope you are wrong. For me, Mexico only exists due to proximity. Im still holding out for San Jose and Pattaya. And possibly Medellin again.