www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Guys on the ground
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:02 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

My neighbor Boynton is truly an inspiration. He is careful but still does his best to enjoy what remains of his life as should we all. He sees three a week and I am happy seeing one. His are a combination of regulars and new discoveries. Mine are my wife and a couple of long time friends. The virus seems to be taking off in the areas most likely to generate contagion, the poor high density areas. With increased restrictions coming down with regularity the likelihood of tourism returning anytime soon diminishes. Eventually the country will reopen. If not there will be social unrest here. The prices in the stores are rising daily. The cost for utilities has doubled in the past 4 months. The country is borrowing money to pay the public sector. The private sector is being destroyed by the lack of tourism and the restrictions being imposed. The tease that the airport will open August 1st is just a stall. No airlines are booking flights in August nor have they designated countries that they will allow tourists to enter from. From what they have announced the States will not be one of them. There is no relief in sight.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:36 pm 

Thanks a lot for sharing Boynton. We are the same age, and I was discouraged by a heel problem that for now has hindered my exercise walking. You put it all in perspective, and here`s believing that you have some good years left. :D

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:53 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Just a report. Don't shoot the messenger.......With the risk of sounding pessimistic, things are getting worse. Cases are shooting upward at an alarming rate. Everything is closed except the grocery stores. Tourism does not exist as of now. There is NO way the airport will open on August 1. Streets deserted. Bars and restaurants closed.

On the other hand, there is more pu*sy available than any one man can handle. Had a nice 19 yo today who was happy to be working. We have to stay optimistic and see what the future brings.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

That's a mountain of stuff you got though Boynton. I would've done the exact duplicate of what you did: sell everything and move to C.R.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:11 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Pops wrote:
The tease that the airport will open August 1st is just a stall. No airlines are booking flights in August nor have they designated countries that they will allow tourists to enter from. From what they have announced the States will not be one of them. There is no relief in sight.

Unfortunately, these words are true. I believe the "stall" will soon become a nosedive. I think these dates have largely been an attempt to keep commercial bankruptcies at bay. I am not well informed about CR bankruptcy laws, but what I have read is focused on the employees, unions and public creditors (caja, taxes, utilities, etc) not the equity stakeholder. As the economy contracts, I expect to see 50 to 100% of the malls collapse (goodbye Multiplazas, TerraMall, CityPlaza, LincolnPlaza). The same with chain or franchise hotels (Sleep Inn, Holiday Inn, Radisson), restaurants (Chilis, PizzaHut, Carl'sJr), cinemas (Cinemark, Cineopolis) and department stores (Universal, Monge, Totto). Private banks will fail. This will be the trigger to union strikes. This will probably happen when aguinaldos (Christmas bonuses) can't be paid if not before. It will be kind of hard to get an IMF loan for that. The legislature will be unable to decide which sectors to bail out, or if they do, the courts will block them. Costa Rican government is not built for speed. The turmoil will continue long after the borders open to tourism.

Whitecat wrote:
On the other hand, there is more pu*sy available than any one man can handle. Had a nice 19 yo today who was happy to be working. We have to stay optimistic and see what the future brings.

These are the most important words in this thread and the light at the end of the tunnel for many of us. While my words should not be construed as promoting certain types of tourism (nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more). The future will be bright for the motivated ecotourist and angler.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:41 pm 

Plagues are as sure as hurricanes. They happen, are frustrating, and for some seem like the end of the world, but they aren`t. They have been popping up since ancient times, and probably the worst recorded have been the Bubonic Plagues. Then there are all the Yellow Fever epidemics of the 19th Century. This one though it sucks is light duty compared to all of that. But you guys are going to make it, as is CRT, and on the other side we all will be stronger. Now Hendrix said this guy Terry Kath was a better guitarist then him. Was being modest but the latter was definitely in the same league, enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uAUoz7jimg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:13 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Do you guys feel like the future in CR will be a buyers market, or will prices be raised? Obviously, taxes will be increased, but will business be willing to lower prices and increase services to gain more business. Or, on the other hand, will they increase prices when people are able to visit again, in order to try and recoup their losses as quickly as possible.

We use to say that in Mexico, Business owners messed up logic was to increase prices when business was slow, so as to theoretically make the same money.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:20 pm 

BhueyXXXVII wrote:
Do you guys feel like the future in CR will be a buyers market, or will prices be raised? Obviously, taxes will be increased, but will business be willing to lower prices and increase services to gain more business. Or, on the other hand, will they increase prices when people are able to visit again, in order to try and recoup their losses as quickly as possible.

We use to say that in Mexico, Business owners messed up logic was to increase prices when business was slow, so as to theoretically make the same money.

It will be a buyers market for those who know how to negotiate, but that`s always the case. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am 

One more. You guys hang in there. I mean it`s about France, has to be something good going on. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9dqAfT1LQM

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 am 

Bring it on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tHtAV3uMRI