www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On-Line Spanish Classes
PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:21 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Been a few years since I posted here. Hope everyone is healthy and doing great. During this quarantine, I thought I would use the downtime to improve my Spanish. I am looking for someone who offers on-line classes, preferably a Colombian speaker. Appreciate all feedback.

Devo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I have had the same intent. I haven’t gotten around to trying it but was recommended https://www.italki.com/teachers/spanish Hourly rates are $5 - $20 with a trial lesson around $5 with each teacher. They list 1661 Spanish teachers. A good number are from Colombia (292), a few are from Costa Rica (24).

Maybe someone has experience with the service that can give an opinion how well it works

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

3 years ago I went to Tutoselect.com, and contacted Ana from Guatemala. She was very good and I took 10 lessons on Skype, one day every week.

https://www.tutorselect.com/188413

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:28 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Go to studyspanish.com and you can get quite a bit free. Retired Spanish teacher here, always willing to help.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:52 pm 

Spanish is really important here. You would be surprised how the price goes down. Not only that, but you can actually talk to them. I met a guy here once who had been here for 7 years. I told him that his Spanish should be pretty fluent by now. Turns out he has a Spanish vocabulary of about 8 words. I can't understand that. Same as when the wetbacks get to the states. They are there for years and speak zero English. To top it off, I have heard Americans complain because the hotel staff or other employees don't speak English.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:36 pm 

Whitecat I agree that if you move to a Spanish speaking Country it makes only sense to learn the language. But if you are a worker in the Hospitality business in Costa Rica, if I was the employer, I would love to have workers who speak not only English, but other languages of Tourists that visit. That is good for business and repeat business and referrals.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:55 pm 

bulldog10 wrote:
I have had the same intent. I haven’t gotten around to trying it but was recommended https://www.italki.com/teachers/spanish Hourly rates are $5 - $20 with a trial lesson around $5 with each teacher. They list 1661 Spanish teachers. A good number are from Colombia (292), a few are from Costa Rica (24).

Maybe someone has experience with the service that can give an opinion how well it works

I have used Italki many times. I had had great experiences. You can try teachers out for a half hour each, often for just a few bucks. Some are very hot. The more serious teachers can handle all levels, and most are fine for beginers. Be clear about what you want: conversation, a deep dig into grammar/language, ect.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:57 pm 

Hank Daman wrote:
bulldog10 wrote:

I have used Italki many times. I had had great experiences. You can try teachers out for a half hour each, often for just a few bucks. Some are very hot. The more serious teachers can handle all levels, and most are fine for beginers. Be clear about what you want: conversation, a deep dig into grammar/language, ect.

As a side note--if you really want to learn quickly, use all senses/modes. Talking, reading, writing, listening, and grammar student. Don't underestimate grammar--internalizing the logic of the language helps you a great deal. When I really learned the subjunctive mood is when I was able to really make the leap to fairly fluent (rusty as Phuck now, but...)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:28 am 

Zunbake3 wrote:
Whitecat I agree that if you move to a Spanish speaking Country it makes only sense to learn the language. But if you are a worker in the Hospitality business in Costa Rica, if I was the employer, I would love to have workers who speak not only English, but other languages of Tourists that visit. That is good for business and repeat business and referrals.

Yes, that is why people here who speak more than one language here usually can make more money, and get better positions. Many friends I have want to know another language. The other side of the coin shows that many people here have no options to learn. They come from poorer areas and are actually happy with even a lower paying job. They simply do not have the money or time to learn.

I was referring to mongers here who have been here for years, obviously have an income, have the opportunity to learn but don't try.