www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 40  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:45 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:26 am
Posts: 1412
What I don't understand is what are they going to do once they get here. They have to get to a yellow zone if they want any freedoms. And those freedoms will be limited. San Jose is shut down. Who would want to come under these circumstances? 5 flights a week? I don't get it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:20 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:37 pm
Posts: 337
Whitecat wrote:
What I don't understand is what are they going to do once they get here. They have to get to a yellow zone if they want any freedoms. And those freedoms will be limited. San Jose is shut down. Who would want to come under these circumstances? 5 flights a week? I don't get it.


What zone is the gulch in? What is its status? Can you do everything as normal, but cannot leave after 5pm?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:33 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:37 pm
Posts: 337
Boynton wrote:
European Union, United Kingdom, Canada. No USA.
5 flights per week


Soooo just fly from EWR/JFK which geographically are the most infected parts of USA to Spain or UK, the two most infected EU countries, then fly, via Panama (more infected than Costa Rica) to SJO. Problem solved!

Don’t worry, your cloth mask makes you invincible to SARS-CoV-2 and you won’t get COVID-19 after all that exposure.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:18 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 9:58 am
Posts: 1124
Rolleratnight wrote:
Whitecat wrote:
What I don't understand is what are they going to do once they get here. They have to get to a yellow zone if they want any freedoms. And those freedoms will be limited. San Jose is shut down. Who would want to come under these circumstances? 5 flights a week? I don't get it.


What zone is the gulch in?
The Twilight Zone

What is its status?
Locked up tighter than a gringa spinster's panocha

Can you do everything as normal,
You are now required to use alcohol gel instead of astroglide, and there are government inspectors to ensure sanitary compliance :cry: :oops:

but cannot leave after 5pm?
True, but you can awake refreshed and start again at 5am


It is still better here than there :lol: :lol: :lol:

_________________
never kick the woman you love


Last edited by Boynton on Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:39 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 457
Rolleratnight wrote:
Boynton wrote:
European Union, United Kingdom, Canada. No USA.
5 flights per week


Soooo just fly from EWR/JFK which geographically are the most infected parts of USA to Spain or UK, the two most infected EU countries, then fly, via Panama (more infected than Costa Rica) to SJO. Problem solved!

Don’t worry, your cloth mask makes you invincible to SARS-CoV-2 and you won’t get COVID-19 after all that exposure.


You can fly apparently, if you have a Canadian, EU, or British passport. There are flights available from Toronto via various stops in the US. But the prices are extremely high, and as San Jose is in the orange zone there is no point in trying to go there. Everything is closed basically, as far as I understand.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:23 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:46 pm
Posts: 799
The politicians here do not want to open the country. It would negate their arguments for the restrictions they have imposed. They like to blame. First it was tourists bringing it into the country, then it was the Nicas entering illegally. Now it is people refusing to social distance and not wearing masks. The virus got here and started spreading. Just like new flu strains do every year. They bought into the hysteria. Got to slow it down before it overruns our healthcare system. They did one thing right. They closed the schools as one of their first measures. The way viruses usually spread is K*ds get them from other K*ds in classrooms and bring them home to infect the rest of the family. Flatten the curve. What they did accomplished flattening the curve and bought time to prepare their system. They started testing at three times their previous rate a little over a month ago. The number of cases went up. They started testing in the areas where population density was the highest at this time. They did nothing in these areas to prevent the spread before this. The virus has a good hold here now and will run it's course regardless of the measures they take in the future. In the meantime they have destroyed the economy here. Their estimate of 500,000 out of work is a joke. It is a lot higher than that. There are at least 800 people out of work within 200 yards of my apartment. 600 in one business. They restrict hours of operation, numbers allowed in businesses, types of businesses allowed to open at all. They are concerned that there will be no one to pick the coffee crop in the fall. Can't let their cheap labor force descend from Nicaragua. Let the crop fail and another large sector of their economy will hit the skids. Seems they are following advise from the WHO. Great to have someone to blame when civil unrest starts here for real.

They can't really let tourists in the country and at the same time not let their own people go to bars and restaurants, open their businesses, let K*ds attend schools, sit in a public park, walk on the beaches. The mayor of Jaco revolted against them. He demanded to know why Jaco was in the Orange zone of restrictions with only 2 active cases. They backed off. Jaco is open. Problem is the restaurants are restricted in numbers of people allowed as are the hotels, travel to the beach is not allowed from the Orange areas until after 5am and you are not allowed on the beach after 2pm, curfew is at 5 in orange areas on weekends. You risk not getting back in time, violating curfew and a $200 fine. You can't go down on the weekends and overnight because you are only allowed to drive either Saturday or Sunday not both. They know that letting 5 planes a week in will not change anything. It is a bone like the economic stimulus checks. 5 planes a week amounts to a little over a thousand people.

New for rent signs appear in businesses in San Jose daily. It is estimated that more than 45% of all restaurants in Costa Rica will fail as a result of the impact so far. This number was put out by the restaurant association here. Picture the tourist dependent businesses in Jaco. How many will be left after 4 months with no customers? How many fishing charters can afford no customers during their high season?

The virus is real. It is mostly dangerous to a defined group of at risk people. The same group of people are usually at risk during the flu season. It has proven to be no more contagious than the flu in many studies.
People die. Between the flu and the virus there are going to be deaths. Their system here has never been really at risk. As cases rise now they promote the hysteria that the system could be overrun in a few weeks if cases progress the way they are. They have postponed all minor procedures and are very restrictive on admissions. Had a friend miscarry a baby a few weeks ago after taking her to the hospital and their giving her a shot and sending her home. My wife has family members that have waited for years for needed procedures. The great socialized system here works like this. Have a problem you go to a clinic. They give you an appointment to see a doctor. It could be two years from the day you go to the clinic. A close friend went to the clinic with a lump on her breast. Appointment given for two years later with a doctor. I along with other CRT members paid for her to get it biopsied and removed by a private doctor. It was a benign cyst. A good friend of many on this board, Carlos, from L'Amistad died waiting for treatment from the system. The system here helps, don't get me wrong but anyone who can afford to get private care here does so. You will never catch the politicians who are making the decisions here or their families using the system. Good thing is that for a fraction of the cost of any serious treatment in the states you can get good treatment here through the private sector.

What they should do here is get rid of the restrictions and open things up. Let the at risk group take precautions to care for themselves. Let the virus run it's natural course. They should accept some deaths the way they have for the past 100 years with the flu. The impact of destroying the economy will be felt long after this virus runs it's course. The quality of life here will be impacted for millions of people. The reaction taken by the politicians will cause many more deaths in the long run than the virus. Same as in the States.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:40 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:52 pm
Posts: 133
Location: Dallas
Whitecat wrote:
What I don't understand is what are they going to do once they get here. They have to get to a yellow zone if they want any freedoms. And those freedoms will be limited. San Jose is shut down. Who would want to come under these circumstances? 5 flights a week? I don't get it.


I can only speak for myself, but since work has all offices shut down for the rest of the year and we are to work from home rest of the year, I would rather work from there in the mountains or in Jaco….or even San Jose

Rolleratnight wrote:

What zone is the gulch in? What is its status? Can you do everything as normal, but cannot leave after 5pm?


Orange: everything is shutdown except essential businesses and then there is the alternative days for when you can go out based on vehicle.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:20 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:26 pm
Posts: 806
Pops wrote:
The virus is real.


That`s progress Pops. :) When Costa Ricans were doing so well, piling on buses, no masks, etc. with only ten or so deaths you thought it was all a scam. And that`s understandable given your frame of reference, what you saw day to day at the time.

This thing may or may not be any more contagious than the flu but it wreaks a lot more havoc. The flu doesn`t cause bodies to spill out into the streets en mass like we`ve seen in places like Peru, NYC, Italy, and now Houston. It doesn`t stretch hospitial ICUs to the limit like we see in many areas of Florida now. It doesn`t cause damage to any degree like has been observed with Covid, brain, lungs, heart and kidneys. The flu also doesn`t kill 200,000 Americans in a season, and that`s likely where we`ll get by November. A typical flu season is in the 12 to 30K range with 60K a very bad year. And it`s not just oldsters on their last legs that Covid kills. Here`s the demographics of deaths by age, and it includes plenty of the 54 and under crowd.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-C ... /9bhg-hcku

So what would be the plan? Stop all this and get everything back to normal, right? What if the people didn`t cooperate? I know I have no interest in hanging out in crowded bars and restaurants. You can remove the restrictions, but if a good portion of the people don`t take the ball and run with it then you still have a problem. Trump found that out in Tulsa as he stared at mostly empty seats. You said rightly that Ch*ldren often spread the disease to family members. This plan involves sending them maskless back to school I assume, then many come home to extended family households...

This has been tried already by the way, in Sweden. They are currently pushing 6000 deaths. Their Nordic neighbors, Norway, Denmark, and Finand, all whom construct their societies in a similar way are at around 500. And even after all that Sweden is only about 10% of the way toward herd immunity. This approach, though very popular in monger forums is rejected by virtually the entire medical and scientific community, and most people generally. I think that`s good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 472100002/

Of course the goal is to take certain precautions, run economies as best we can, which gives us time to work on effective treatments and a vaccine. The world is working overtime on this. Kudos to guys like Bill Gates investing his own time and money.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/when-will-c ... a-vaccine/

I`m also impressed by the ability of many Latin Americans to literally live on fumes. They are well aquainted with poverty, and often have a strong sense of faith, family and community. Some of my Facebook friends have actually been getting noticably fatter recently. :P

So with that I`m just going to toss the ball and maybe you all can have a good discussion. I`m piled up with work but may join back in later. Feel free to talk about suicide increases, but demand evidence that there actually has been a significant uptick in that beyond any normal increases. Bring on the idea that governments around the world are faking the death numbers for money. That`s even though the numbers are drastically declining in many part of the world, especially Western Europe and some areas of the US like New York. Did these governments suddenly get tired of the easy money and decide to jump out of the global conspiracy? Or what about all images of bodies spilling out into the streets and into temporay morgues/refrigerated trucks? Or all the overwhelmed ER docs on the news pleading with the public to take precautions. Staged, like the Moon Landing Hoax? Or the vaccine, Bill Gates conspiracy to inject us all with a chip to set up the New World Order? Be my guest, that, and also Bigfoot, Area 51, and by all means alien abductions, it`s all fair game. :P

One last thought: If there are people there will always be economies. Economies recover. Dead people dont, ever.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:10 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:21 pm
Posts: 3490
Location: Latina Chica Central
Express321 wrote:
One last thought: If there are people there will always be economies. Economies recover. Dead people dont, ever.
+1000

Countries are trying to find a balance between great numbers of people starving to death and great numbers of people dying due to the virus. Both alternatives are horrible. The challenge is to figure out which one is less horrible. I don't envy those who have to make these choices.

mh


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:51 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 11:43 pm
Posts: 192
Location: Heredia
What zone is the gulch in? What is its status? Can you do everything as normal, but cannot leave after 5pm?[/quote]

The Gulch is in the orange zone. Almost everything including hotels and restaurants is either completely closed or under severe restrictions.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:58 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 11:43 pm
Posts: 192
Location: Heredia
Whitecat wrote:
What I don't understand is what are they going to do once they get here. They have to get to a yellow zone if they want any freedoms. And those freedoms will be limited. San Jose is shut down. Who would want to come under these circumstances? 5 flights a week? I don't get it.



Five flights per week won't much ,ore than accommodate business people who provide food, medicine, doctors and other necessities. There are flight only for shipments of these necessities. You cannot completely shut down an economy unless you want everyone to die.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:29 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 9:58 am
Posts: 1124
The gulch is in the orange zone until 30-Jul. Sometime next week the government will announce new measures, probably for the following two weeks.The government has given NO indication whether the alert will increase, decrease, or remain the same. Virus cases, hospitalizations, and deaths are rising but at the same time so are demonstrations. You can only buy food and essentials (chicken, cigarettes, booze, and condoms) at Walmart but not a garlic press (or other non-essentials). You can however, buy a garlic press online and use the curbside pickup option.

Starting 01-Aug, the government will allow commercial flights, five or less, from Frankfurt and Madrid. (0, 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 are all "five or less"). Flights from the UK and Canada are anticipated *in the months to come*. There are a lot of sanitation restrictions associated with those traveling on those flights. This is a test of protocols to be used to resume normal travel in the future. (May 9, 2022 is in the future, right?)

All this us from the Costa Rican government's perspective. From the EU perspective, unless you qualify for a repatriation flight (citizen of an EU country), you will need to be coming from a country approved by the EU to enter the EU. As of 16-Jul, there were 16 non-EU countries in this category. This did NOT include CR. The EU re-evaluates every two weeks, so a new list should be released on or around 30-Jul. It will be posted here: https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/pres ... l-borders/

So, things remain SNAFU until 30-Jul when the may graduate to FUBAR. Either way, if you ain't here you ain't cumming anytime soon.

_________________
never kick the woman you love


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:15 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 11:15 pm
Posts: 2536
Express321 wrote:
Pops wrote:
The virus is real.


That`s progress Pops. :) When Costa Ricans were doing so well, piling on buses, no masks, etc. with only ten or so deaths you thought it was all a scam. And that`s understandable given your frame of reference, what you saw day to day at the time.

This thing may or may not be any more contagious than the flu but it wreaks a lot more havoc. The flu doesn`t cause bodies to spill out into the streets en mass like we`ve seen in places like Peru, NYC, Italy, and now Houston. It doesn`t stretch hospitial ICUs to the limit like we see in many areas of Florida now. It doesn`t cause damage to any degree like has been observed with Covid, brain, lungs, heart and kidneys. The flu also doesn`t kill 200,000 Americans in a season, and that`s likely where we`ll get by November. A typical flu season is in the 12 to 30K range with 60K a very bad year. And it`s not just oldsters on their last legs that Covid kills. Here`s the demographics of deaths by age, and it includes plenty of the 54 and under crowd.

https://data.cdc.gov/NCHS/Provisional-C ... /9bhg-hcku

So what would be the plan? Stop all this and get everything back to normal, right? What if the people didn`t cooperate? I know I have no interest in hanging out in crowded bars and restaurants. You can remove the restrictions, but if a good portion of the people don`t take the ball and run with it then you still have a problem. Trump found that out in Tulsa as he stared at mostly empty seats. You said rightly that Ch*ldren often spread the disease to family members. This plan involves sending them maskless back to school I assume, then many come home to extended family households...

This has been tried already by the way, in Sweden. They are currently pushing 6000 deaths. Their Nordic neighbors, Norway, Denmark, and Finand, all whom construct their societies in a similar way are at around 500. And even after all that Sweden is only about 10% of the way toward herd immunity. This approach, though very popular in monger forums is rejected by virtually the entire medical and scientific community, and most people generally. I think that`s good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/ ... 472100002/

Of course the goal is to take certain precautions, run economies as best we can, which gives us time to work on effective treatments and a vaccine. The world is working overtime on this. Kudos to guys like Bill Gates investing his own time and money.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/when-will-c ... a-vaccine/

I`m also impressed by the ability of many Latin Americans to literally live on fumes. They are well aquainted with poverty, and often have a strong sense of faith, family and community. Some of my Facebook friends have actually been getting noticably fatter recently. :P

So with that I`m just going to toss the ball and maybe you all can have a good discussion. I`m piled up with work but may join back in later. Feel free to talk about suicide increases, but demand evidence that there actually has been a significant uptick in that beyond any normal increases. Bring on the idea that governments around the world are faking the death numbers for money. That`s even though the numbers are drastically declining in many part of the world, especially Western Europe and some areas of the US like New York. Did these governments suddenly get tired of the easy money and decide to jump out of the global conspiracy? Or what about all images of bodies spilling out into the streets and into temporay morgues/refrigerated trucks? Or all the overwhelmed ER docs on the news pleading with the public to take precautions. Staged, like the Moon Landing Hoax? Or the vaccine, Bill Gates conspiracy to inject us all with a chip to set up the New World Order? Be my guest, that, and also Bigfoot, Area 51, and by all means alien abductions, it`s all fair game. :P

One last thought: If there are people there will always be economies. Economies recover. Dead people dont, ever.


Best post I have seen on the topic in a while--cheers.

Oh, and side note--there is now a great deal of research that shows that countries that are locking down have no greater economic downturn than those that do not--even in the shorter term. In the longer term, when the virus is under control you have consumer confidence--that is needed for a healthy economy.

_________________
I said hey baby, take a walk on the wild side.
Lou Reed


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:27 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:22 am
Posts: 1072
Express321 wrote:
This thing may or may not be any more contagious than the flu but it wreaks a lot more havoc. The flu doesn`t cause bodies to spill out into the streets en mass like we`ve seen in places like Peru, NYC, Italy, and now Houston. It doesn`t stretch hospitial ICUs to the limit like we see in many areas of Florida now.
Maybe you aren't aware of the operational goals of hospitals. They attempt to have 95% of available beds occupied at all times. The media reports of "stretching the limits" are of available beds, not capacity. Here is a quote of a spokesperson from Orlando Health explaining the difference: "In mid-March, as patient volumes declined and fewer beds were needed, Orlando Health began consolidating units to reduce the number of beds – including ICU beds – that were staffed and in operation. The current operational bed count is what we report to AHCA and what appears on their website. That number is not Orlando Health’s total bed capacity. Across all of our operations, we have nearly 3,300 beds. Nearly 200 of those are ICU beds and we have the capacity to surge up to 500 ICU beds if it becomes necessary."


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:27 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:28 pm
Posts: 145
Pops wrote:
Let the at risk group take precautions to care for themselves. Let the virus run it's natural course.

I'm one of the at risk groups, but this sounds like a better plan than the stupid sh!t the "powers that be" done up to now.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 587 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 40  Next



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Johnsor1 and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group