www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:50 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Zeos wrote:
Rolleratnight wrote:
Boynton wrote:
European Union, United Kingdom, Canada. No USA.
5 flights per week

Soooo just fly from EWR/JFK which geographically are the most infected parts of USA to Spain or UK, the two most infected EU countries, then fly, via Panama (more infected than Costa Rica) to SJO. Problem solved!

Don’t worry, your cloth mask makes you invincible to SARS-CoV-2 and you won’t get COVID-19 after all that exposure.

You can fly apparently, if you have a Canadian, EU, or British passport. There are flights available from Toronto via various stops in the US. But the prices are extremely high, and as San Jose is in the orange zone there is no point in trying to go there. Everything is closed basically, as far as I understand.

Well if you get up to Toronto, the Candian dollar is still about 0.70 USD so your money will go further

There's a couple of good full-service spas near the airport, most of them them are almost back to normal, though you need to have a mask to go into resturants/shops in most of Ontario for the last 2-3 months now.

https://www.toronto.xxx/blog/spas-pearson-airport

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:40 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

robi22 wrote:

Well if you get up to Toronto, the Candian dollar is still about 0.70 USD so your money will go further

There's a couple of good full-service spas near the airport, most of them them are almost back to normal, though you need to have a mask to go into resturants/shops in most of Ontario for the last 2-3 months now.

https://www.toronto.xxx/blog/spas-pearson-airport

you have to quarantine for 2 weeks on arrival. They are very strict about that...and no visitors or trips outside your room... it may be monitored and fines can be very high. So no visits to local spas.

So...if you come from the US, and want to go to CR via Canada - include the 2 week quarantine in your plans.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:01 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Boynton wrote:
Flabuck wrote:
then don't confuse a manufacturing /supply problem with a transportation problem
Direct quote from the article
“The provider indicates that there are no flights available.”

“Due to restrictions in the plant due to COVID-19, the supplier reports that it cannot have the product in the amount and time stipulated.”

The frequency of these messages by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) increased as the COVID-19 emergency spread around the world.

It may very well be a supply issue but air cargo operations were /are still active at SJO the entire time plus the regularly scheduled passenger flights from Houston. If the can't get the cargo to MIA or IAH, that is on them and the supplier. Quit deflecting blame because you can't manage the logistics of getting needed cargo to your country.
Just looking at today, there are six cargo fights from MIA to SJO.

Who implied there was a manufacturing problem? It is by default a supply problem since there is no vaccine here to be administered. Either way, I defer to you as the Elvis Presley of BS.

our brother Zeos
Hey...not saying that isn't accurate for Costa Rica. But I do also know that there is a delay in vaccinations in the rest of the world, including here at home. Africa is of special concern as it is the last bastion of polio. Anyway...not intending to contradict what the report said, although I did come across that way.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:17 am 

Related to Covid 19 - gentlemen, don't forget your Vitamin D. Just saying. There's emerging science that it plays a factor in reducing the damage done by the virus.

Search it out if you want, and I could elaborate a lot about it...but no point in that on this forum.

It's cheap to buy, at normal doses there does not seem to be a lot of downside...and potential benefit. Might be the best 3 cents a day you can spend.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:41 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Zeos wrote:
Related to Covid 19 - gentlemen, don't forget your Vitamin D. Just saying. There's emerging science that it plays a factor in reducing the damage done by the virus.

Search it out if you want, and I could elaborate a lot about it...but no point in that on this forum.

It's cheap to buy, at normal doses there does not seem to be a lot of downside...and potential benefit. Might be the best 3 cents a day you can spend.

You're spot on, Zeos. I've been taking increased doses of Vitamin D, C, and zinc throughout this fiasco on the educated hope that it helps. So far, so good. It only makes sense to keep your immune system strong.

But beyond that, in the spirit of emerging science, I read an interesting article very recently about scientists using a supercomputer to analyze CV-19. Besides explaining many of the observed side-effects of covid, their findings include Vitamin D as one of the factors in immunity and recovery from covid, and one of 10 already-existing pharmaceuticals that could be used to effectively treat covid. Those 10 pharmaceuticals, including Vitamin D, are now under double-blind studies to see if the supercomputer was right.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:34 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

RicoGuapo wrote:
Zeos wrote:

You're spot on, Zeos. I've been taking increased doses of Vitamin D, C, and zinc throughout this fiasco on the educated hope that it helps. So far, so good. It only makes sense to keep your immune system strong.

But beyond that, in the spirit of emerging science, I read an interesting article very recently about scientists using a supercomputer to analyze CV-19. Besides explaining many of the observed side-effects of covid, their findings include Vitamin D as one of the factors in immunity and recovery from covid, and one of 10 already-existing pharmaceuticals that could be used to effectively treat covid. Those 10 pharmaceuticals, including Vitamin D, are now under double-blind studies to see if the supercomputer was right.

Well that sounds great but like all those vitamin claims that take this for that it only benefits the sellers. Common sense to me would be that vitamin D does have benefits but no way can it cure or alleviate this virus. South and Central Americans get plenty of sunshine and from that vitamin D and the virus is thriving there. The two posts after mine clarify the use of Vitamin D and if it's not being touted as a cure and may lessen the effects then that is believable and at such a cheap cost, then Why not? I take it because I have a low Vitamin D level as do most people in my area and it does seem to help my mood and somewhat energy.

Last edited by Hoosierdaddy on Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 11:11 pm 

Hoosierdaddy wrote:
RicoGuapo wrote:
Zeos wrote:

Well that sounds great but like all those vitamin claims that take this for that it only benefits the sellers. Common sense to me would be that vitamin D does have benefits but no way can it cure or alleviate this virus. South and Central Americans get plenty of sunshine and from that vitamin D and the virus is thriving there.

True...and I want to emphasize that anything I say is not medical advice. I don't think anyone is saying that Vitamin D is a cure or a preventative. What it may be is a way to lessen some of the effects of the virus. Vitamin D is cheap, cheap to produce, and cheap to buy, so I don't see any "big pharma" conspiracy or anything like that. It is true that, for example, people from Costa Rica generally get more sunlight (and Vitamin D production in their bodies) than people from the north...but it also is true that their flu season, and it appears the same season as Covid is worsening - corresponds to rainy season there (what they call winter). So I don't know...it is a scientific question, but hopefully there will be more information on the usefulness of Vitamin D in this context.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:16 am 

For those interested, I found the reference to the article mentioned earlier in the spirit of emerging science in covid-19 research, including the effects of vitamin D:

https://elemental.medium.com/a-supercom ... cb8eba9d63

And no one is saying that vitamin D can prevent or cure the virus. What the article states is that "If indeed the vitamin proves effective at reducing the severity of bradykinin storms, it could be an easy, relatively safe way to reduce the severity of the virus." And as previously mentioned, it is plentiful, inexpensive to produce, and inexpensive to buy, not a big profit center for sellers. If anything, the big pharmas probably would not want it competing with their expensive (and profitable) alternatives.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:47 pm 

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but today sets a record for new daily CV-19 cases in Costa Rica at 1222 in the past 24 hours, following four consecutive daily increases from 741 to 897 to 1121 to 1153 to 1222. What's perhaps more alarming is the simultaneous spike in ICU utilization to record levels and the continued high levels of positivity (>30%). It looks like this isn't going away any time soon as the numbers are going in the wrong direction, folks.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:11 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but today sets a record for new daily CV-19 cases in Costa Rica at 1222 in the past 24 hours, following four consecutive daily increases from 741 to 897 to 1121 to 1153 to 1222. What's perhaps more alarming is the simultaneous spike in ICU utilization to record levels and the continued high levels of positivity (>30%). It looks like this isn't going away any time soon as the numbers are going in the wrong direction, folks.

Could be 3,000 a day by the end of the month.

There are a lot of things going on you won't read about in the tourist oriented English-language media. For example, CRHoy.com reports social media postings of bounties on police officers and OIJ agents.
https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/audios ... as-diablo/

"(CRHO..com) In Guápiles, strong operations are carried out with the aim of finding the whereabouts of a man with the alias of Diablo, who supposedly announced millionaire payments for killing police officers and judicial agents in Pococí. The audios and photographs began to circulate on social networks in recent days. The recordings spoke of alleged payments of ¢ 2.5 million colones for each assassinated Public Force officer and of ¢ 5 million colones for each agent of the Judicial Investigation Agency (OIJ). Supposedly, too, the "reward" could be canceled in exchange for cocaine. Given this, the judicial police and the Ministry of Public Security carry out an exclusive mega operation to find alias Diablo. This man is an old acquaintance of the authorities, considered one of the main criminal leaders in the area and who has also escaped from several operations against him. The authorities reported that the police deployment will last for the next 3 days and agents from the Tactical group and various OIJ headquarters are participating. In the same way, it is about identifying members of the band in different parts of the canton of Pococí. It is expected that during the afternoon, the security authorities will refer to the operations."

Y'all come on down soon, bring ammo.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 pm 

Diablo? Isn't he a CRT Member?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:16 pm 

Zunbake3 wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 5:00 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Zunbake3 wrote:

I think you are referring to LADiablo, also known as Rupert's Boy. He's one of the good guys. ;-)

Is low self esteem a prerequisite for being a good Ho or is it a result? ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:53 pm 

No, I know LaDiablo quite well as we have communicated through this site over the years. There is another CRT Member called Diablo.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:10 am 

Somebody needs to warn him.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1275738 ... 080981807/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 43  Next