www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:55 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Someone took down brightbar.com since your post, Pops. I've seen some good ones posted on fb, however, concerning the futility of masks, as well as the effectiveness of certain types of medicines that mainstream doctors are refusing to back up as solutions.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:15 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Pops wrote:
I do not care what any of your politics are. I believe my eyes. I know when I am being lied to and played. The government here is either lying, stupid or corrupt. Maybe all three. The virus is real. It kills people who are old, people who are fat, and people who have health issues. Like myself and most of us. It is not killing young healthy people. It is not killing K*ds. Influenza kills the same target group as this virus. I have witnessed this thing unfold here. The response has been completely illogical. The first thing that occurred was to close the borders and close the schools and areas of congregation of groups. The explanation was to buy time, flatten the curve so that the healthcare system was not overrun. The effects of the virus were not widely known at this time. This much of the response was appropriate. This response was from people in government who have had years to plan for an emergency and had no plan. As more became known about the virus the shift was to try to stop it completely by preventing it from taking hold. Don't let the tourists come and spread it all over the country. Find the cases through contact tracing and isolate them. Great idea if you have the resources. As cases popped up around the country it was how great they are doing controlling this. The deaths were at a minimum a month ago.

Enter the WHO with money to pay for healthcare for Nicaraguan refugees. Suddenly they were finding hotspots all over Guanacaste and northern Costa Rica. It was the fault of the Nicas sneaking in illegally. There is plenty of animosity between the poor Costa Ricans and the Nicas without casting blame. Suddenly Costa Rica that was doing 200 to 300 tests a day started doing 2000 tests a day and the numbers started skyrocketing. Where did the money come form to pay for the tests? Also getting blame besides the agricultural workers were the truck drivers. Opening up the northern and southern borders to truckers passing through Costa Rica was another way to cast blame.

If you know Costa Ricans like I know them you will understand that "No es mi culpa!" is their national motto. Politicians always try to cover their ass. They have been setting this up since day one. They continued to impose restrictions to the point that the country has been in near lockdown for almost 4 months. There is no end in sight. The people here are suffering. Mostly in silence. There are a thousand people out of work within 200 yards of my apartment. They don't have government handouts to fall back on. They say a half million out of work. I say twice that and many more earning a fraction of what they are use to.

Exactly what did keeping tourists out accomplish? The logic is we can't have people coming in from countries where the virus is raging and then spreading all over the country. This is the flaw in the logic. The virus is here and has been growing since day one. The restrictions slowed it down slightly to begin with. Keeping millions of school K*ds at home kept the cases down for a while. They preached sanitation and social distancing for the past 3 months. Now it is you got to have a mask or you are a heartless inconsiderate piece of shit. They blamed the increases in cases on numbers on the people who insisted on partying. They said the measures were for the good of everyone.

Most on this board have not been here and seen downtown San Jose during these restrictions. I am probably the only one who has seen places where Costa Ricans are afraid to go. There are slums around San Jose that worse than anything I ever saw in the states. Much worse than the housing projects that I spent years working in while policing in Atlanta. Most of you can't picture 10 people living in 300 sq. feet. Across from my apartment there is a family of 4 that lives in a 5 x 5 guard shack. My wife is from one of these neighborhoods. I pass through there a couple times a week. Masks, sanitation worries, social distancing didn't exist. They have more important things to do like finding a way to have food. My sister in law lived in an area called La Milpa. It is a creek bottom where people squatted. They put up shelters made of tin, cardboard, scrap wood. People have squatters rights here. Once established they are hard to get out. Several hundred people live here. Sanitation is an outhouse, showers are from a hose, electricity is from drop cords. There is a large plywood wall on the boundry of one entrance that has spaces for about 50 electrical meters and has about 5 actually plugged in. This is one of dozens of areas that are as bad or worse around San Jose. Thing is nobody is getting sick there or dying. My wife's family is there all the time. They know of nobody who has died or gotten the virus. Nobody is under quarantine. They are now wearing masks. They have to in order to go into any business or to ride the bus.

This is the big problem I have had with the restrictions. This is why they are a lie. The bus system here is how most of the poor people get from one place to another. Hundreds of thousands of people ride busses in Costa Rica daily. There has been no social distancing on these buses. I have been on one recently where it was standing room only. There is no sanitation on these buses. I can't walk into the grocery store without getting alcohol squirted on my hands but I can ride a bus that hasn't seen sanitation. Not only can I ride the bus, I can get on it and to anywhere in Costa Rica. What is the difference between a sick tourist going to Arenal and a sick Tico going to visit his sister there? I can't walk down a beach with nobody in sight but I can sit next to a stranger. I can't visit a National Park that has next to no locals ever visiting. They are mainly used by tourists.

I have heard masks since day one. The same people now saying masks will save you today, three months ago were saying they did no good. Now if you don't wear a masks you are a racist. Everybody is a racist that doesn't believe what I believe. Guilt, racism are just tools to control you. And you better believe we are being controlled.

I feel for the people of Costa Rica. I worry for the future of my K*ds. I worry what the world will look like when this is over. I will gladly discuss my politics with anyone who wants to pm me. This is not the place. I can agree to disagree with anyone and I can rationally present how I feel and listen to your concerns.

I would like everyone who reads this to take steps to be better informed. Come to whatever conclusions you choose. One thing that I would like for you to do is look at the Texas Department of Health website. On the site you can see statistics they have published for years. Compare years 2018 - 2019 number of deaths from influenza-pneumonia (they group them together) with the year running from Oct. to Oct. Then look at the year 2019-2020 for deaths from influenza-pneumonia and covid grouped together. This was the best site that I have seen for understanding how serious this pandemic really is. Other states did not keep as easily findable numbers. Texas has 25 million people. A great scientific test sample. Understand that cause of death is not a really accurate statistic. Old people die. Rarely are they tested to determine why if they die in their sleep at 85. I would like you to research the outbreak of the virus on the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt. I can tell you that 5000 people were together on the ship for several months as the virus played out. All of them were tested. 1000 tested positive. Most never knew they had it. Less than 20 required medical attention beyond over the counter symptom relief. One of the sailors died. One out of 1000 with the virus. One out of 5000 who without doubt were exposed to the virus. This is a large sample from a health adult population. If you check on deaths of Ch*ldren and teenagers you will find a few deaths world wide. A closer examination of these would reveal that the ones who died had pre-existing conditions.

I would like for you to go to website Brightbart.com and look at the video that has been circulating on the internet like crazy for the past 24 hours. It is an interview with front line physicians who express their opinion of what is going on. If you see this and it raises questions good. You should question what is going on. This is the most defining moment in our lives. You should try to understand it and come to your own conclusions based on knowledge, not fear. Take care all of you. my friends. Pops

+ 1 Well Said one of the Very Best Post's on this Subject that I have Read. Be Well Pops

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:17 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

sb_boise wrote:
Someone took down brightbar.com since your post, Pops. I've seen some good ones posted on fb, however, concerning the futility of masks, as well as the effectiveness of certain types of medicines that mainstream doctors are refusing to back up as solutions.

Facebook, twitter, and the other social media sites took it down because it wasn't true. I can't say what is happening on the actual Breitbart site since I have no use for going to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

snowmatt3 wrote:
sb_boise wrote:

Facebook, twitter, and the other social media sites took it down because it wasn't true. I can't say what is happening on the actual Breitbart site since I have no use for going to it.

One of the doctors in the video, Stella Immanuel, turns out to be a wacko. Those behind the video did a bad job vetting.

"Immanuel reportedly believes that the government is run by lizard people; that alien DNA is, right this very minute, being used for medicinal purposes in humans; that there’s a vaccine in development to inoculate people against religion; and that gynecological issues such as cysts and endometriosis result from sex with witches and demons in dreams. Or, as she calls them, “spirit husbands” and “spirit wives,” whose “evil deposits” can render women infertile."
https://www.thecut.com/2020/07/trump-re ... creed.html

Unfortunately, this will just feed the media circus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:14 pm 

I am more worried about my “evil deposits” rendering women fertile.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:22 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

snowmatt3 wrote:
sb_boise wrote:

Ya they only accept real fake news & not the other side.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:55 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
I am more worried about my “evil deposits” rendering women fertile.

Since you are in the USA, you just have to worry about carpal tunnel syndrome. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
+2 for Pops!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:44 am 

DManWalking wrote:
snowmatt3 wrote:
sb_boise wrote:

Ya they only accept real fake news & not the other side.

Unfortunately, Breitbart's mis-step clouds the issue.
IMO, the US has been hyper-focused on vaccine development to the exclusion of other therapies. The medical establishment has also focused completely on masks and lockdowns. No argument from me on this approach in a country that can dump billions into R&D and print money at will. A country where many can work remotely and others get generous benefits, while it lasts. But this does not work for the rest of the world.

Costa Rica has none if these advantages. CR has long used Hydroxychloroquine. https://qcostarica.com/hydroxychloroqui ... -covid-19/ What you hear from US media is ridicule because it is associated with a political figure. They also report on Bolsonaro's use of the drug, but not a word about its use elsewhere. CR has also developed antibody plasma from horses for therapeutic treatment. They injected purified human plasma from recovered patients. By using horses, they greatly multiply the amount of plasma produced. The USA has largely side stepped plasma treatment until recently. Here it is beginning clinical trials. https://ticotimes.net/2020/07/28/costa- ... trials-ucr Local universities have pitched in developing prototype ventilators.

The economy is in freefall. Pops' observations are accurate. His analysis is his own and should not be disregarded. I am fortunate to have the resources to isolate. I have no family nor deep financial commitments here. My only personal contacts are with a few regular chicas, even that carries risks.

It will be interesting to see what happens if/when there is a vaccine developed. The question of global distribution is real. I can always hop on a plane to the US when a vaccine becomes available, your average Tico can't. Hoarding could sow deep resentment of the rich countries by the poor ones. It also represents an opportunity to strengthen ties.
https://ticotimes.net/2020/07/28/mike-p ... n-minister

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:46 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

There is a huge difference between dying with the virus and dying from the virus. many states and countries are reporting deaths with the virus instead of from the virus.
If you have cancer and a heart attack and die, the death is contributed the heart attack and not the cancer.

Like Pops said, many are old, infirmed or have underlying medical conditions that make the already damaged immune system incapable of handling the virus.

Heller, why does Dade County have a 5% higher positive test rate than nearby Broward, it is based on 600k tests ( not a small sample size)? No other large county ( at least 100k tests) in Florida is above 14% positive.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:00 pm 

Discovered how much censorship goes occurs on social media yesterday. Facebook, U-tube, Twitter, Google all engage in controlling what you see on the internet. By blocking you from seeing opposing positions they shape how you think and view the world. These companies, along with television news and the rags that pose as newspapers are controlled by a small group of people. Isn't it funny how much emphasis is placed on the peaceful demonstrations and decrying the use of federal law enforcement to protect federal property.

Doesn't it make you wonder when a government issues an order to wear a mask, imposes brutal restrictions on businesses and the movement and livelihood of everyone in the country in the guise of saying you didn't do what we told you to do on social distancing and the numbers of cases are skyrocketing, then puts no specs on what material the mask is made of (it could be cheesecloth and be legal here) is the mask for protection or punishment and control.

How do you like being controlled? I hate it. It makes me angry. If the controls were logical they would be easier to accept. The restrictions they imposed on using the beaches here while allowing people to board crowded buses and travel all over the country defy logic. I understand why they allowed people to ride buses. All of the government officials here have house cleaners. Since they are paid next to nothing $20 per day call it what they are slaves. The plantation owners here have to have workers to work and pick the crops, more slaves.

Closing the country to tourists who once here would take shuttles or private cars and go to resorts also defies logic when they let people from the getto interact freely and travel all over the country. They know the conditions in the poor neigborhoods but blame the middle class for failure to social distance.

For all of you diabetics out there. One out of every 10 people in the states is diabetic. What is the cost of insulin in the states? What is it here in Costa Rica? Do you think Big Pharma liked Trump signing an executive order yesterday that brings the cost of medications provided by medicare in line with the rest of the world prices. Do you think Pelosi and company will get big campaign contributions to get him out of office by Big Pharma. Just a thought. Why has this been allowed to go on through a dozen administrations?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:47 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:
2) The current US case / fatality ratio stands at 3.44%, not 1% as you claimed above. That's almost 150,000 deaths in the US. And that is the nationwide ratio. The ratio is a lot higher in Florida, Texas, Lousiana, California and other hard-hit states. In Dade County where I live, hospitals are so slammed with COVID-19 patients Miami is sending patients to Broward County (also slammed with COVID-19 patients).
According to Worldometers.info, here are the fatality ratios for the states you listed:
Florida 1.40%
Texas 1.45%
Louisiana 3.44%
California 1.34%
Three of the four well below the national average.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:38 pm 

Take away the stupid decision by some governors to lets wuhan flu patients stay in nursing homes the number would be even lower

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:39 pm 

Rico at QCosta Rica posted this today about travel to CR

https://qcostarica.com/non-canadian-eu- ... osta-rica/

(QCOSTARICA) Travelers who are not citizens of countries authorized to fly to Costa Rica for now, such as U.S. citizens, will be able to enter Costa Rica meeting the requirements set out on Tuesday (July 28) by the Dirección General de Migración de Extranjería (DGME) – Costa Rica’s immigration service.
Starting August 1, when the country’s air borders are reopened to international tourists from Canada, European Union, and the United Kingdom, other nationalities will also be allowed entry but they will have to comply with different rules.

Thus, to enter the country, residents or citizens from Canada, the European Union and the United Kingdom must undergo a COVID-19 test and have a negative result 48 hours before coming, in addition to purchasing travel insurance from Costa Rica’s State insurer, the Instituto Nacional de Seguros (INS), that covers eventualities if they require quarantine or medical expenses, as explained by Gustavo Segura, Minister of Tourism last week.
Meanwhile, visitors (residents or citizens) from other countries, in addition to these rules, must show that they remained at least 14 days without symptoms of the coronavirus in any of the authorized countries even though they normally live in another country.

According to information provided by the DGME on Tuesday, for example, a U.S. citizen can travel to Canada, the UK (England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland) or any of the Schengen area countries (Schengen area countries. Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) and then come to Costa Rica.

The requirement is that they must have been in one of the authorized countries for at least 14 days and coronavirus symptom-free before flying to the San Jose (SJO) or Liberia (LIR) airports.

Immigration made it clear that a traveler cannot simply make a stop in an authorized country and then pretend to fly to Costa Rica.

This specific detail, it warned, will be reviewed by the Immigration Officer at the time of entry, and if it is determined that the passenger only made a stopover, the officer may reject entry (be it a tourist or a resident foreigner) and would have to leave the country/
Of course, the DGME will periodically review the list of nationals from which flights would be authorized, just as the European Union does.

“Every two weeks the international epidemiological situation will be reviewed by COVID-19 to assess the list of countries and territories from which flights will be received,” the entity said in verbatim.

The complication for U.S. citizens is that, until July 31, the UK, Canada (save for traveling for a purpose other than tourism), and the European Union has its borders closed to them. See the IATA COVID-19 Travel Regulations Map.

In addition, repatriation flights will continue to be carried out from any other country outside the index of countries that will have commercial flights. Where these types of transfers are most carried out are Central American countries and the United States.

In the case of non-essential private flights, the immigration authority clarified that they can arrive from the permitted countries bringing nationalities of the authorized countries or other nationals who show 14 days of stay in any of those nations with the green light.
Travel Insurance

Any tourist, regardless of their nationality, does have an obligation to purchase travel insurance for medical expenses of at least US$20,000 and isolation (lodging) expenses of at least US$4,000 that can only be purchased from the INS, immigration clarified.
No other policy will be accepted at this time. Travelers with another type of insurance will still have to buy the INS policy on arrival in Costa Rica.

Regarding the cost of the INS insurance, the DGME clarified in the document that it varies according to the passenger’s health conditions (their age, for example), days of stay or if the purchase is individual or family.

“As an example, travel insurance for a 30-year-old passenger who will visit Costa Rica for two weeks has an approximate cost of US$280,” said the immigration service.

[/b]
Costa Ricans and foreigners residing in Costa Rica should NOT buy this insurance.
The Health Pass

Upon arrival, tourists and foreigners residing in the country will fill out the digital form called Pase de Salud (Health Pass) which will be available at the address https://salud.go.cr

This form will make distinctions between tourists, Costa Ricans, and foreigners with legal residence. The Health Pass will ask the passenger “Do you live in Costa Rica?”

If the answer is no, the passenger is assumed to be a tourist and a specific questions section will open. If the answer is yes, it is assumed that you are Costa Rican or a foreign resident and will answer other questions.

Tourists who successfully complete the Health Pass will receive a green check and an alphanumeric code (numbers and letters). Without this code, the Immigration officer will not be able to locate them in the system and manage their entry.

However, Ticos and foreigner residents in Costa Rica will undergo a medical evaluation upon arrival in the country regardless if they have no symptoms related to COVID-19 or exposed to the virus based on their response.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:29 pm 

What are the "tourists" supposed to do while here?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 43  Next