www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next
 Post subject: Re: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:12 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Pops wrote:
I live here in Costa Rica, have family here, and know a lot of people here. I come in contact with many people here. I constantly ask them, "Do you know anyone who has had the virus? Do you know anyone who has died from the virus?" I have yet to have anyone tell me they know anyone who has had it or died. My wife's family, 9 brothers and sisters live in a poverty area in Heredia. They know of no one who has been confirmed to have had it or died. I just asked my Dentist and her assistant today and they know of nobody who has had it or died. What this means is this.

These are anecdotes that mean little. The statistics and graphs are here. It is what it is.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... osta-rica/

Pops wrote:
Old people die of something. From their own statistics 2/3rds of the deaths were of people older than 65. Many of them older than 80. The majority of deaths were to people who had co-morbidity risks....It is easy to blame the virus for deaths that would have occurred anyway from the existing conditions.

Of course, but many individuals with diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, asthma, simply old age etc. live long productive lives. To imply that most of these were about to die anyway is frankly horseshit. 9% of the deaths in the states are of people under 54. I linked CDC stats a couple of months ago. Recently a guy in another forum presented a list of all the Nobel Prize winners that got their awards past age 65. It was an impressive list indeed. Is a lot of living to be done past that age, just ask the POTUS.

Best way to bring economies back is to put the virus in check, by using the proven methods that work, social distancing and masks. And irregardless, a lot of people are going to act out of self-preservation anyway no matter what protocols governments have. But this is what we are up against, stupidity, and yes such is a most formidable foe.

Yea CNN, the antithesis to Fox, yet the interviews speak for themselves.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/11/politics ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:27 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Agreed. The threat is real.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:42 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I live and am currently in the US and I know a couple of people in CR who have had it...and I would be pretty sure most people here would know them as well.

I also know folks who have had family members in CR die from it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:17 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I get the roundabout AIDS test. I call up my friend Brian and say "Brian, do you know anyone that has AIDS?" "No" "Cool, cause you know me."
-Mitch Hedberg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I know from personal experience that governments can and do manipulate statistics. It is easy. I can make the numbers say anything I want them to say. I was in charge of a major city police department information system and know the numbers fed to the public were bullshit. How much do you trust government? The virus is real. If you get it your immune system comes under attack and the reaction of the system can kill you or allow other diseases like pneumonia to take hold and kill you. The thing is that the flu does the exact same thing. The numbers being put out are absolute bullshit. Want more cases, test more. Don't want to test more just make up numbers. They admit to doing that here. Want more deaths, test everyone who dies. At no time in history have people been tested the way they are being tested now. In the past if you died with the flu and had a heart condition and were 80 years old, the flu was not mentioned or tested for. Cause of death, heart attack. Nobody is doing autopsies on the elderly if there is no reason to believe that foul play was involved either here or the states.

Yes people live longer productive lives with many existing conditions. Some of the deaths here may not have occurred if they had not contacted the virus. Some of the deaths would have probably have occurred if they had gotten the flu. In the past they would not have been tested. I don't recall the world going into hiding in the past for the flu.

If the restrictions and actions being taken by the governments were really logical then I could more readily accept them. Completely closing most restaurants for months while allowing the bus system to operate unrestricted is not logical. Completely closing the beaches and national parks while allowing bus travel has not been logical. The information put out by the CDC and WHO on the wearing of masks has evolved from they do not recommend, they might do some good to prevent you from giving it to someone else if you cough, we don't really know how long it stays in the air (same amount of time the flu virus stays in the air) to wear a mask if you ever want these restrictions to stop or we will make them worse. Until recently there were no specs on masks. Cheesecloth would have been acceptable. Now the virus will not stop until the same folks that have been keeping the world population safe from the flu can sell another vaccine and big Pharma and Gates can make some more money.

The virus has exposed the general health of the worlds population. Yes many people under 65 have died with the virus. Most of them had contributing factors such as obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes and asthma. Close to half the people that I grew up with have already died and not from the virus. People die every day from something. There are agendas at play. We are just pawns. It will play out eventually. Most of the people reading this are survivors. I just hate watching people that I care for here suffer in silence. The suffering is just getting started in Costa Rica. I am being contacted daily by women who know I am in my 70s who want to meet me. Girls that have never been visible as working girls in the past. I had one contact me while I was writing this. Legal secretary, 28 years old, formerly of San Jose but now with family in Orotina. A ten in looks. Desperation of mothers trying to provide for their Ch*ldren.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:09 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Pops wrote:
I live here in Costa Rica, have family here, and know a lot of people here.... What this means is this....
No, what it means is that you are in denial, big time. Just because you and a handful of acquaintances don’t know anyone yet who was affected you think that means it’s bullshit, over blown, some political ploy, government plot, or whatever. Yeah, right.

Tell that to the 200,000 people and their families who have died so far in the US from this disease. Tell that to the 1000 people and their families that are dying each and every day here from this disease. Maybe you can tell it to all the people that were infected but survived after weeks in the ICU and now face the prospect of a variety of long term post COVID health problems that are being discovered.

But since you only believe what you see with your own eyes I guess people would have to be dropping dead in the street in front of you for any of this to make sense to you. Makes it kind of hard to discern what is real from what isn’t when you can’t see further than your own nose.

You can believe whatever goofball conspiracy theory catches your eye on any given day in order to convince yourself and reinforce your belief that 2+2 = 5. But it doesn’t make it true.

Your posts about P4P and relationships in Costa Rica are insightful, informative, and display both common sense and a real understanding of the subject at hand. Unfortunately your posts about the pandemic are the polar opposite of that in every regard. But hey, don’t mind me, feel free to go back and bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:47 pm 

My fiance's sister and her husband both came down with Covid. He was in contact with an infected coworker and fell ill shortly after. He was notified by his work that a coworker had become sick and he was required to get tested and stay home in quarantine. A couple of days later he got sick and was tested and confirmed he had Covid. While unpleasant, he did not have too terrible of a time, and took about 9-10 days to get over it. His wife (fiance's sister) came down with it within a day or two. The government refused to test her, and would not send an ambulance when she was having trouble breathing, told her she would have to get to a hospital on her own and they did not know if she would even be admitted. She does have underlying issues but the governments complete denial of benefits was surprising even to them. He works for a national laboratory supply company and is a government worker. Pretty shitty on Costa Rica's part. As of about 4 days ago she was feeling better but over 300,000 colones out of pocket for over the counter care and no help from the Caja that they pay into. Now Costa Rica is toying with the idea of charging a fee for all ATM transactions and debit card purchases. WTF are they really wanting an uprising and hanging of the people in charge? They have squeezed the ones less fortunate as much as they can and still want more from those that can afford it the least all in order to keep their pensions flowing and not reign in any spending or have any accountability. They are trying to get loans to fill the gap but they are finding even the Chinese are not wanting to continue to bail them out. Get ready people the Colones are getting ready to take a dump and we will be looking at 800-1 exchange rate unless they pull their heads out of their asses.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:21 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Get ready people the Colones are getting ready to take a dump and we will be looking at 800-1 exchange rate unless they pull their heads out of their asses.

With the corresponding inflation. Expect ALL negotiations to be in dollars.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:12 pm 

Skosh wrote:
Pops wrote:
I live here in Costa Rica, have family here, and know a lot of people here.... What this means is this....
No, what it means is that you are in denial, big time. Just because you and a handful of acquaintances don’t know anyone yet who was affected you think that means it’s bullshit, over blown, some political ploy, government plot, or whatever. Yeah, right.

Tell that to the 200,000 people and their families who have died so far in the US from this disease. Tell that to the 1000 people and their families that are dying each and every day here from this disease. Maybe you can tell it to all the people that were infected but survived after weeks in the ICU and now face the prospect of a variety of long term post COVID health problems that are being discovered.

But since you only believe what you see with your own eyes I guess people would have to be dropping dead in the street in front of you for any of this to make sense to you. Makes it kind of hard to discern what is real from what isn’t when you can’t see further than your own nose.

You can believe whatever goofball conspiracy theory catches your eye on any given day in order to convince yourself and reinforce your belief that 2+2 = 5. But it doesn’t make it true.

Your posts about P4P and relationships in Costa Rica are insightful, informative, and display both common sense and a real understanding of the subject at hand. Unfortunately your posts about the pandemic are the polar opposite of that in every regard. But hey, don’t mind me, feel free to go back and bury your head in the sand if it makes you feel better.

Great discussion, challenging a post full of thinly vailed political drivel, conflating public health with infringments on freedom (does anyone feel oppressed that it is against the law to drive a car while drunk??) and anti-science "logic". What is also missed by the poster is the damage to multiple systems cause by the virus to many healthy, young people.

All you have to do is go back and look at the posts by said poster stating this was no more than a simple flu--not aging, and will continue to look even worse come winter.

Build your best life wherever you are--I love mongering as much as the next guy, but it is my job to build a happy life without it for now (and hopefully in spring, with it).

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:56 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Pops wrote:
I know from personal experience that governments can and do manipulate statistics. It is easy. I can make the numbers say anything I want them to say.

Statistics can be twisted around anyway they want. (i.e. If you have a bum walk into a room filled with millionaires. Well, you could say, on average everybody in the room is a millionaire). Does anybody seriously believe these people in charge of this fiasco.

Everything has been a clusterfuck from the beginning, and completely illogical. According to the experts you have to have a mask on coming into a restaurant, then take it off when you sit down, I'm no scientist, but that sounds stupid to me, what's the difference. At the gym I go to, mask required upon entry, then you take it off when exercising in a room filled with people and with box fans blowing all over, and that's in compliance with the experts, what a joke.

I just have a feeling that the vaccine is going to be a complete fiasco, and all of this is just going to go on and on. I hope I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:26 pm 

That statistics can be manipulated is a reason for everyone to have solid math literacy--not to eschew science and fact. There is also a huge difference between untrained interpretations of stats, verses critically evaluating the evidence. The evidence is clear--this is not the flu. It is far more deadly and disabling.

It is also clear that masks, social distancing, and staying out of enclosed indoor spaces where the virus can aerosolize go a long way toward preventing spread, and the better all of us do, the more quickly various economies will open up.

Those who don't see themselves as part of interconnected communities that we try to keep safe, and equate mask wearing with freedom are doing a great deal of harm to our economies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:43 pm 

Sorry, I only wear a mask when I am forced to do so and absolutely have to in order to get what I need or want. You cannot stop a virus with a mask only slow it down. I refuse to wear a phucking mask and if a national mandate is passed, they can throw me in phucking jail for it. Oh wait until it is a law they can wipe their asses with their mandate. I have ate so much dirt, pu*sy and shit in my life that I will be immune to most everything anyway. Drink the Kool Aid if you want, but good luck forcing it on everyone. Darwins Theory of Evolution continues to be held true and its survival of the fittest. If I get Covid and die, obviously I was not one of the fittest.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:00 pm 

Ilv4play wrote:
Sorry, I only wear a mask when I am forced to do so and absolutely have to in order to get what I need or want. You cannot stop a virus with a mask only slow it down. I refuse to wear a phucking mask and if a national mandate is passed, they can throw me in phucking jail for it. Oh wait until it is a law they can wipe their asses with their mandate. I have ate so much dirt, pu*sy and shit in my life that I will be immune to most everything anyway. Drink the Kool Aid if you want, but good luck forcing it on everyone. Darwins Theory of Evolution continues to be held true and its survival of the fittest. If I get Covid and die, obviously I was not one of the fittest.

It is the simplest and most harmless thing that can be done...wearing a mask. Are you for real? This is so absolutely stupid that I cannot believe it is for real.

Post subject: coranavirus concern
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:49 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp0afdBUzis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yju20Ml9_wg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:47 pm 

double post

Last edited by Ilv4play on Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 43  Next