www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW RULES FOR TOURISTS
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:54 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

https://observador.cr/noticia/gobierno- ... 6LLB1AgGtw

Effective when borders open to air travel, tourists will need to adhrere to the new rules.

1. fill out online health questionnaire
2. Negative COVID-19 test no older than 48 hours before entry
3. Medical insurance purchased from Costa Rica (INS) that covers at least $20,000 medical expenses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:23 pm 

Orange wrote:
https://observador.cr/noticia/gobierno-pone-requisito-para-turistas-que-favorece-al-ins-y-excluye-a-aseguradoras-privadas/?fbclid=IwAR3B0ybvY5-FtXpIdNkk0heBe3YABl6vp7LzWWMG8JIjKZYEz6LLB1AgGtw

Effective when borders open to air travel, tourists will need to adhrere to the new rules.

3. Medical insurance purchased from Costa Rica (INS) that covers at least $20,000 medical expenses

Questions:
1. How do you pay the INS insurance in advance? I often pass by the INS building on the way to the HDR. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.
2. Will the 20K coverage pay for my long-awaited penis enlargement operation?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:42 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
Orange wrote:
https://observador.cr/noticia/gobierno-pone-requisito-para-turistas-que-favorece-al-ins-y-excluye-a-aseguradoras-privadas/?fbclid=IwAR3B0ybvY5-FtXpIdNkk0heBe3YABl6vp7LzWWMG8JIjKZYEz6LLB1AgGtw

Questions:
1. How do you pay the INS insurance in advance? I often pass by the INS building on the way to the HDR. Guess I won't be doing that anymore.
2. Will the 20K coverage pay for my long-awaited penis enlargement operation?

Answers:
1. You pay for the insurance online and are given a number which you then enter into the online questionnaire. (Expect the airlines to require proof before boarding so that they don't have to return you to US at their expense)
2. The Insurance covers $20,000 medical expenses and $4,000 quarantine expenses.

Also, I have read reports stating the test must be a PCR test.

100% chance this will all change before you can fly here.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 5:55 pm 

Orange wrote:

Plus...if you're not from Canada, Great Britain, or the EU you also have to quarantine in the country you are coming in from. 2 weeks. In Canada expect that to cost you $2-3,000 and quarantines are enforced under the public health act in Canada.

And the quote I saw for insurance was $543 for a 60 year old male.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Zeos wrote:
Orange wrote:

Plus...if you're not from Canada, Great Britain, or the EU you also have to quarantine in the country you are coming in from. 2 weeks. In Canada expect that to cost you $2-3,000 and quarantines are enforced under the public health act in Canada.

And the quote I saw for insurance was $543 for a 60 year old male.

Was that a two week trip quote, as I saw one on the INS portal for a 70 year old two weeks at $965 and up. And then health factors come into play. It is completely ridiculous. And at immigration they will only stamp you for the number of days you have insurance for. I guess the "perpetual tourists" are finished.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:06 pm 

Yikes! That's almost 5 and 1/2 sessions for the cien boys.
And this policy will be the final blow for many hotels and the restaurants that are left.
Expect a wave of cancellations for the rest of the year, including mine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:37 pm 

And just today President Alvarado instructed the Ministry of the Economy to revisit the insurance issue. They really are just making this up as they go. The buck stops there, waaaaay the Phuck over there.

https://ticotimes.net/2020/07/31/costa- ... r-tourists

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:40 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Here is an interesting article on what it will cost you to visit Costa Rica. I don't mind spending lots of money in CR but I hate giving it to the government. Think I am going to check out TJ and the DR instead.

https://news.co.cr/a-complete-breakdown ... ion/82141/

-LG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:35 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

another issue that needs clarified, you can take the test two days prior to leaving and not have the results back before you depart, what is going to happen in that case? There are plenty of stories out there were it can take 5days or more to get a result.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:10 am 

Flabuck wrote:
another issue that needs clarified, you can take the test two days prior to leaving and not have the results back before you depart, what is going to happen in that case? There are plenty of stories out there were it can take 5days or more to get a result.

The results have to be back and they have to be negative.

"When Costa Rica opens its airports to foreigners starting at 11:59 p.m. on August 1, it will only allow visitors from select authorized countries. All tourists must present proof of a negative PCR-RT coronavirus test from a sample taken within 48 hours of their flight and submit an epidemiological form."
https://ticotimes.net/2020/07/31/costa- ... r-tourists

On a positive note, IF the government does allow non-INS insurance, it is much cheaper. One firm, Heymondo, provides 3 month renewable coverage for $270. Their website is: https://heymondo.com/
Remember, this is not yet approved by the CR government, but then neither are you. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:53 am 

I am really curious to see how many people are on the first planes to arrive. What are they going
to do when they exit the airport?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:07 am 

Whitecat wrote:
I am really curious to see how many people are on the first planes to arrive. What are they going

The FIRST planes? My guess is they will be whisked off in a COVID-free charter can to an all-inclusive beach resort near Manuel Antonio where they can spend a fantastic 14 day tour with controlled excursions for fishing, whale watching, and ATV riding to return in the same COVID-free van tanned, rested, and COVID-free to tout their "Essential Costa Rica" adventure in their home country, never having escaped their social bubble.

There will also be a few photo ops of them handing euros to well smiling, happy Ticos (previously selected) for publication in the CR press.

The FIRST planes from each new country will receive a similar treatment.

The TENTH+ planes, not so much.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:33 am 

Boynton wrote:
Whitecat wrote:

The FIRST planes? My guess is they will be whisked off in a COVID-free charter can to an all-inclusive beach resort near Manuel Antonio where they can spend a fantastic 14 day tour with controlled excursions for fishing, whale watching, and ATV riding to return in the same COVID-free van tanned, rested, and COVID-free to tout their "Essential Costa Rica" adventure in their home country, never having escaped their social bubble.

There will also be a few photo ops of them handing euros to well smiling, happy Ticos (previously selected) for publication in the CR press.

The FIRST planes from each new country will receive a similar treatment.

The TENTH+ planes, not so much.

First planes from Europe should be in a couple of days. Will be interesting to find out how many tourists are actually on those planes, versus CR legal residents returning, or diplomats, people allowed in. First from Canada I think are around the 9th of September.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:29 pm 

Zeos wrote:
First planes from Europe should be in a couple of days. Will be interesting to find out how many tourists are actually on those planes, versus CR legal residents returning, or diplomats, people allowed in. First from Canada I think are around the 9th of September.

Iberia flight IB 6317 is the first scheduled commercial flight. It departs Madrid Monday 03-Aug at 16:20 CEST and arrives to SJO at 19:15 CST. The PCR-RT tests have to be done 48 hours before departure, so that window opened at 08:20 CST this morning.

At the moment, it is a go go.
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-t ... 1041417397

1. I still have doubts this will happen. :oops:
2. Imagine the impact if one or more of the tourists return home and test positive. :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:49 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Zeos wrote:

Iberia flight IB 6317 is the first scheduled commercial flight. It departs Madrid Monday 03-Aug at 16:20 CEST and arrives to SJO at 19:15 CST. The PCR-RT tests have to be done 48 hours before departure, so that window opened at 08:20 CST this morning.

At the moment, it is a go go.
https://www.flightstats.com/v2/flight-t ... 1041417397

1. I still have doubts this will happen. :oops:
2. Imagine the impact if one or more of the tourists return home and test positive. :shock:

I don't know about Spain, but on the return flights to Canada everyone will have to quarantine once they get back. This limits the impact if someone returns home with Covid. And it has helped Canada immensely so far as it almost stopped us from importing cases of the virus.