www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:19 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Quoting news report as published in the Tico Times...saying sometime in September...

"U.S. tourists will only be welcomed if they are residents of the following states: New York, New Jersey, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont and Connecticut. Passengers must prove their residency in one of those states using their driver’s license.

“We have included the license-plate requirement to minimize the likelihood that someone from a non-authorized state be allowed to enter,” Segura said. “We are minimizing our epidemiological risk.”

Tourists must obtain a negative PCR-RT test within 48 hours of their flight and purchase a travel-insurance plan that covers COVID-19. (This can be a pre-approved Costa Rican plan, or a foreign one that meets a series of requirements.)

In addition, all arriving passengers must complete an online health form."

By license-plate requirement I'm assuming they mean driver's license.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 5:59 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I wonder if this will generate enough business for our favorite places to reopen.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:16 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

The article mentions they expect about four flights a week from NYC airports. Not enough to make much difference to the economy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:19 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

For me the hardest part would be getting a RT-PCR test results back that was sampled within 48 hours. Thats just not possible here in Kansas City

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:41 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

How did they arrive at the list of states that they did? The list makes little sense. Take a look at the rate of transmission by state at https://rt.live. As of today, Vermont, New Jersey, and Maine all have transmission rates "in the red" above 1.0. The only one of the "permitted states" in the "best ten" is Connecticut. And there are 24 states with lower transmission rates than New York. Obviously this was either an arbitrary choice or a political choice - not driven by science.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:21 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

https://qcostarica.com/flights-from-u-s ... ng-sept-1/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:23 pm 

RicoGuapo wrote:
How did they arrive at the list of states that they did? The list makes little sense. Take a look at the rate of transmission by state at https://rt.live. As of today, Vermont, New Jersey, and Maine all have transmission rates "in the red" above 1.0. The only one of the "permitted states" in the "best ten" is Connecticut. And there are 24 states with lower transmission rates than New York. Obviously this was either an arbitrary choice or a political choice - not driven by science.

Who knows, but it would have to be somewhere that flights would come in from, and centering on New York and states with overall lower current case count might have been the rationale. They're not going to pick Hawaii or Alaska...no chance of flights from there anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:03 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

It’s obvious the government has been under tremendous pressure to open up to flights from the US. They found a way to make it look like they did something and get some positive headlines. In reality almost nothing changes. Pure political grandstanding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:07 am 

It will be a drop in the bucket.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:19 am 

CaliforniaSunshine wrote:
Mask it up like you wrap it up. Lets phucking get our transmission rate down and join POPS and the rest of those guys enjoying all the CR beauties! But this policy is BS. We shouldnt be split up as a nation like this, IMO. I hope CA can get our rate down quick.

Unfortunately I don't believe that the state selection has much to do with transmission rates at all. I'm from Ohio and I think we are doing better that most of the states on the permitted list. Maybe October ?????

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:59 am 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
Mask it up like you wrap it up. Lets phucking get our transmission rate down and join POPS and the rest of those guys enjoying all the CR beauties! But this policy is BS. We shouldnt be split up as a nation like this, IMO. I hope CA can get our rate down quick.

Unfortunately I don't believe that the state selection has much to do with transmission rates at all. I'm from Ohio and I think we are doing better that most of the states on the permitted list. Maybe October ?????

But it also would need to be a place where direct flights to Costa Rica come in from. Don't know if you ever had direct flights to CR from Ohio?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:12 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:

Looking at the states selected, basically you could go from any of these states to an airport in the New York area without going through other states, although from Maine or Vermont it wouldn't be the shortest route (bypassing Mass.) But it looks like they looked at a group of states around a major air hub where there have been direct flights from in the past. Anyway...I in no way know. It is/was a decision of authorities in Costa Rica, and I'm sure made on the basis of pandemic history and current information, plus air and airport related realities.

All the flights they have allowed so far are directly from the countries they have approved - not connecting flights. And people have to be from those places, or have been in those places for 2 weeks before the flight. This seems like a similar idea.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:22 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Most people haven't been in the market for a fake ID since their teen years

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:30 pm 

Flabuck wrote:
Most people haven't been in the market for a fake ID since their teen years

That's why they want you to bring your car's license plates

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:38 pm 

I have friends who are currently making license plates full time.