www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:52 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Just curious how many of you might have an interest in attending spanish language immersion classes on your upcoming trips. I just spoke to Admin 1, and he said if the number of interested parties were good he would graciously check into the possibility of getting us a VIP discount on courses at one of the schools (maybe something like a weeks worth of coursework at a discounted price).
What do you think guys?
Regards,
ICE

Post subject: Spanish language school
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:30 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Hey Ice............I've got my "Spanglish" nearly perfected.

Now I'm ready to learn Spanish.

Count me in !

Capt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:32 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I'm in too. Jan 26 to March 15 works for me.

Can we get a teacher who likes to phuck?

Rocco

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:08 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Rocco wrote:
Can we get a teacher who likes to phuck?

I thought that's why we came here.

Post subject: ?Que?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:42 am 

?No habla espanol?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:18 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I am already inquiring with CRLA for the week of February 28. I would definately be interested.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:27 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I'm at Bridge Liguatech from Jan 31 -Feb 4 in Manual Antonio and at
CRLA in San Pedro from Feb. 6- 9. Always looking for other options. After checking around I was impressed with both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:56 pm 

Bueno. La práctica hace maestro al novicio. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:27 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I've heard good things about the Forrester Institute, in SJ.

I'll be down in CR, semi-permanently towards the end of Feb., beginning of March and will be looking to enroll somewhere. Count me in.

So far, my best Spanish line is:

Quiero hacer el hombre que paga su renta.
(I want to be the man that pays your rent).

Seems to work well... at least with the working girls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:19 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I'd be interested. But more important than the discount is the question of the hundreds of schools which is best? You should not choose a language school based solely on cost. Has anyone done any extensive research?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:34 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

If I was ever down for any great length of time I would be..

But untill then I will learn my Spanish w/ the company of a Chica

I feel I not only get laid. I enjoy the comany of a Chica

and practice my Spanish... How great is that !!!

Sometimes, not so, Nucknfuts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:43 am 

There was an old post here that had a site that ranked schools. The overall number 1 was ... CRLA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:59 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

CRLA – Costa Rica Language Academy in San Pedro a great experience posted by several of the Brothers.

Correction: You can Practice with the chicas wherever - which is important to the learning curve, butt; You Learn at School…How well educated are most of these grrls? I would like to do a little better than that.

Three weeks at Academy this year I am going back for three more. Too swell…

Tuanis,

Post subject: Spanish
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:33 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I would be interested. How much can you learn in a week and how much does it cost?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 1:40 am 

C. R. Marcos wrote:
I'd be interested. But more important than the discount is the question of the hundreds of schools which is best? You should not choose a language school based solely on cost. Has anyone done any extensive research?

One of the reasons that I've greatly reduced my posting rate (after over 700 posts) was because I thought I had said just about all I had to say on the subject of Costa Rica (and then some). Generally, I don't like to repeat myself. As many other veteran posters like to say "do a search". Well, now once again I discover that one of my posts on this very subject is no longer here. What else and who else has been deleted? What's the point of making the effort to put down all this info or ask newbies to "Do the search" if its just going to be deleted? Why can't the admins here do like Rico did at the old board and create a searchable archive section rather than delete these words of wisdom for all time? Sorry to go on (again) but this really irks me.

As to CRMarcos's question: A while back, I made a post that answered his EXACT question. Yes, I've personally done fairly extensive research on this question. My review included many of the language schools in the greater San Jose area. As I recall the total number in SJ is more like 20-40 not quite "hundreds". I also looked at schools in other parts of the CR as well as in other countries. If you want to talk about a place with 100's of schools to choose from look to Antigua, Guatemala with nearly 1000 schools in that city alone albeit no where near the opportunities for whorticultural studies as SJ.

Anyway, in that post, I provided at least one link to a website that had a searchable database of language schools worldwide. That database included a rating system on a variety of measures (class size, cost, ancilliary programs, etc.) as well as many reviews written by the students themselves that had attended each school. Unfortunately, I no longer have that web address and don't feel like researching it all over again.

My post also included detailed summaries of several of the top rated schools which included CRLA, Forrester, ILISA and one other whose name I've since forgotten. I didn't say which one was "best". As is my usual philosophy, it really depends on the individual. Are you going for a one week course or a month long course. Do you need private instruction or is group instruction sufficient? How important is cost? Maybe there are miscellaneous factors that are important to particular individuals (e.g. if you want to mix morning spanish lessons with afternoon surfing lessons, consider signing up for a program in Jaco instead of SJ). Personally, I suspect there is probably not a significant difference in the quality of instruction at any of the top schools that I listed. There is some variation in cost.

I ended up choosing CRLA for my month-long study program. It was neither the cheapest option nor the most expensive. I signed up for 5 hrs/day 4 days/wk which left me with plenty of time to travel around the country a little during my 3 day weekends. I signed up for the group program, which was great since I ended up getting a lot of private instruction anyway but for the group rate. For me, class size varied from 1 (only me and my professora) to 6 (me and 5 attractive young gals from Europe). I'd say the average was 2-3, but that may vary depending on the time of year. Brother Novice attended while I was there and I'm sure he would give you equally favorable reviews.

Nuck and Zef:
You'd be surprised how much you can learn in just one week of formal training. Of course, how much you learn depends a great deal on how much you use it. Novice is right. You can practice with a chica (and add to your vocabulary), but it will be nothing like sitting down with an instructor, learning the vocabulary, conjugations, grammar, proper pronunciation, etc. If you just hang out in the BM all day and you're just as likely to be practicing your english with your CRT brothers or your broken spanglish with the chicas. If you sign up for a course, thats 4-6 hours of continuous practice that I doubt most of us would subject ourselves to if we just went down there for a simple vacation. Add more practice of what you've learned after class when you head over to the BM and you'll absorb even more.

Last edited by Prolijo on Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:21 am, edited 2 times in total.