www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hotel Del Rey... R.I.P.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:22 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

HDR was my favorite place on my first few trips but it's lost its charm.

I haven't been to Pirates but Ruffnutz review sure sounded interesting, especially after the first intitial reviews.

If the Blue Marlin burnt down tommorow what venue do you thing would take over the market?

Also, what type of "business" would you like to see open up?

One of my biggest problems with HDR is the way they treat their customers. I a shame because they forget who pays the bills!! I don't demand to be treated like an "americano" but I at least would like to be made to feel like my business is appreciated.

The venue I see that could really challenge HDR right now is Kumar. And that's only if the would figure out how to run the business. It has lots of potential as far as I'm concerned but they don't seem to see it that way.

So what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:30 pm 

You lost your mind Traylor. :) Was good to party with you in SJO a few weeks ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:49 pm 

Traylor Park wrote:

Quote:
The venue I see that could really challenge HDR right now is Kumar. And that's only if the would figure out how to run the business. It has lots of potential as far as I'm concerned but they don't seem to see it that way

Really do not understand how you think that Kamur could step up and replace the HDR should it suddenly close.

It is to far removed from the gulch, it has limited operating hours, it has a limited supply of girls who are employees not independent contractors, they would have a "bar fine" making the price non-competitive, the physical layout would require extensive remodeling, etc. off course that is off the top of my head and may not be the best chice.

Could you elaborate on why you think Kamur would work?

If I had to replace the HDR I think I would choose Centerfolds. That location in the old days was a bar called "Big Nashville" to differentiate from Pat Dunn's other place "Nashville South". It is in the gulch and could be remodeled to be a bar once again.

Of course that is off the top of my head and may not be feasible in the long run.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

No titty bar can replace the Del Ray, you guys are talking apples and oranges.

It would be a club or hotel like the Key Largo or Sportsmans Lodge.

IMHO Key Largo would be the only logical choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:31 pm 

ID -

I guess I was thinking about Kumar because it's up for sale and maybe the new owners may want to try something different. I'm not too familiar with the hours but I would open the joint up to independent working-chicas. YOu could charge for the use of the rooms and make your money on drinks just like ZB, Idem and HDR. Maybe it can't replace HDR but it would make another great option for everyone, chica and mongers included.

HDR has the best selection but the way management treats their customers and not to mention the chicas, who are the ONLY reason that we are there to begin with is enough to make one look elsewhere.

I'm my last trip I noticed that their were more chicas working at SL then in the past. I was surprised to see several familiar faces who formally worked at HDR hanging out at SL. When I asked the chicas why they're working at SL they mentioned being tired of getting hassled all the time by HDR employees.

A non-crt member I know stopped one of the owners of HDR, maybe greg, one morning to discuss the treatment he recieved by HDR staff the night before seemed like a futile effort on his part. I watched as the owner stared off into the distance as this guy explained the situation. After he was done tallking, the owner responded a politician by avoiding the subject at hand, finally walking away with a the demeanor of someone who has better things to do then listen to his customers comments.

The best thing about HDR are all the independent chicas other than that it's just a big pink building. I have never stayed at HDR, nor do I plan to.

Remember I was barred from HDR because my crazy ex-Tica novia made a big scene. I was sitting at the bar having a drink talking to a gringo and they kicked me out for nothing. After two days I talked my way back in. Also, none of HDR staff members could give me a reason as to why I actually got kicked out and barred. I was left scratching my head, because I didn't know why and they couldn't explain why to me.

Is this the way to run a business? Who knows... maybe I'm wrong.

p.s. It's funny how several post regarding Pirates have mentioned the SWAT team security out front in a negative way, because aren't we always complaining about the lack of security around the gulch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:06 pm 

Quote:
You could charge for the use of the rooms and make your money on drinks just like ZB, Idem and HDR.

I am certain that ZB and Idem are not making their profit from drinks.

Kamur can never overcome the geography problem. To replace the BM you would have to be convenient to the gulch in my opinion.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:11 pm 

DEAR_JOHN wrote:
No titty bar can replace the Del Ray, you guys are talking apples and oranges.

It would be a club or hotel like the Key Largo or Sportsmans Lodge.

IMHO Key Largo would be the only logical choice.

Off course we are comparing apples to oranges. It was a what if ? not a factual scenario. Kind of like a business course problem presented in college.

Since the ownership of HDR/BM/KL are all one in the same think those properties would be not part of the equation.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:47 pm 
Kumar is for sale again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:08 am 

D2864 wrote:
Kumar is for sale again?

Has been for about 4 months since the deal with Smutpeddler fell through. First $350.000 takes it. Jmac failed to come up with his $400K deal :oops:

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:23 am 

I don't think there is anything near the gulch that could actually replace HDR. It would need to be a hotel with plenty of rooms to house mongers. It would also need a large area for a few hundred people to fit in comfortably. Without those 2 things it wouldn't be much of a replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:22 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Excess profits brings competition. I would think it justs a matter of time before someone tries to compete with the HDR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:04 am 

My hypothetical questions was "what if HDR burnted down who would replace it?" So lets all assume HDR is no longer. YOu know what I'm saying?

also, the scene in the gulch is only there because of HDR and KL if those two places werent there the gulch would be no more. So if HDR was gone and KUmar or any other joint decided to take advantage of it's absense all monger would probably gravitate to other venues.

I also don't think you need to be a hotel type of business because not everyone stays at HDR, like me. i've stayed at Presidente, Castillo, Sleep Inn and Californicationdudes second home HOtel Nuevo Johnson. I did not notice any negative reaction from the chicas when I told them were I was staying. It's all about the money. Yes some were impressed with my suite at the Presidente but than again so was I.

$350k will it get lower? Also, is owner willing to finance?

I believe Jman is through with Costa Rica after discovering Thailand.

What's the deal with Thailand? I may have to make a trip out there myself to find out. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:40 am 

Quote:
also, the scene in the gulch is only there because of HDR and KL if those two places werent there the gulch would be no more. So if HDR was gone and KUmar or any other joint decided to take advantage of it's absense all monger would probably gravitate to other venues.

Can not say I agree with that. There was an active monger scene in the gulch when KL was a night club (not a strip club) that did not get started until after 9:00 PM and the HDR did not exist. The scene might have been smaller but most attribute the explosive growth of the gulch to the Internet not the opening of the HDR.

While the action might become significantly less I think other venues would appear on the scene to take up some of the slack. As long as CR is just a short flight away from most spots in the US the gulch will survive in my opinion.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:42 am 

Irish Drifter wrote:
As long as CR is just a short flight away from most spots in the US the gulch will survive in my opinion.

I completely agree.

Have you noticed a significant drop off in mongers after the flight increase? I know the chicas are always complaining that business is bad but over the Labor Day weekend I noticed a lot of chicas standing around without any takers. This was suppose to be a busy weekend and it was from what I saw at several venues, which in the past where empty whenever I checked them out.

HOw bad is business? All the chicas I hooked up with had no problem with $100 for TLN, haggle free. Si senor right away.

I noticed that it was a buyer's market more so than on all my previous trips.

The hardest working man in Costa Rica has to be Eddie at ZB he seems to actually seems to care about what his customers have to say. The line up is not the greatest, not bad, but I think the whole mood and experience makes one feel good about hanging out and taking a chica back to the room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:30 pm 

Quote:
My hypothetical questions was "what if HDR burnted down who would replace it?" So lets all assume HDR is no longer. YOu know what I'm saying?

Traylor Park:

If HDR burnted down what ever would replaced it would only be temporary. The boys at the Del rey would just rebuild bigger and better. If they could get cheap fire insurance they would just burn it down themselves. Buying up everything around them not only eliminates competition it make room for expansion.

Lee