www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:22 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
Whitecat wrote:
They are commiting economic suicide with their rules. Right now stores are open for 10 days, then a 12 day shutdown, then reopen for 10? People are in a bad economic way here.

Yes read this tonight on U.S. DOS web-site. What????? Is Tico logic for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:43 am 

Ever since I hit 60, I have always purchased travel insurance. There are many companies that offer reasonably priced policies for travel anywhere except the USA. I just wanted to be sure that that I was adequately covered for any emergency overseas, including repatriation.

I was scheduled to go for 3 weeks in Thailand and the Philippines in October. I know that isn't going to happen because of the virus. In preparation for the trip I purchased travel medical insurance. I have a 1 million dollar medical limit and a 0 dollar deductible. I didn't bother with the other types of insurance like cancellation, lost baggage, etc. as my credit card covers a lot of that. That medical policy for 3 weeks cost a little over $100.

I consider that quite reasonable and I will continue to purchase similar policies whenever I leave the country.

On the other hand, the policy being offered and required by the CR government is a joke. The coverage is paltry and the premiums are outrageous. I really think that few people will travel to CR as long as these policies are required. I know that I will vacation elsewhere as long as this is in effect.

I am all for the any government requiring medical travel insurance for foreigners. They should not have to foot the bill for uninsured travelers that become ill or injured. I do however believe that the government should just set a standard of minimum coverage requirements and allow travelers to purchase this insurance on the open market.

It really seems that the CR government is attempting to gouge travelers. I think they are going to find that this strategy will backfire.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:47 am 

They don't have a clue. They're supposed to wait until the tourism industry is really rolling and then put an additional cost for the visitor, like intelligent crooks do, but right now they have no tourism. They have no work, they have no jobs, people are dying here economically and they're putting this crazy extra costs on new visitors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:08 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

from qcostarica
report from first arrival at sjo
hopefully this gets faster as they get used to the process, from someone who was at the front of the plane

This whole process took us about 2 hours, although we were there longer than many other people who were processed after us. Expect it to take ages whilst they sort out what is going on. We couldn’t go to the toilet through this part so make sure you go before you get off the plane!

Finally, going through border checks took much longer than normal. That took another hour roughly, perhaps longer. Some families hadn’t filled out the paperwork and were doing it at the counter. Make sure you fill out before you get to this point!

https://qcostarica.com/passenger-on-fir ... osta-rica/

On arrival, we were amongst the first 10 people off the plane and I think we were the first to have COVID test paperwork checked in the initial holding area set up just by the gate. Chairs were out for everybody with markers for social distancing. Once our tests had been checked we were moved to a second area where insurance was to be checked. However, we had struggled to get our insurance paid for because there was a bug on the (INS) website. We had QR codes as part of completing the entry form though, so our paperwork was kind of in no man’s land. There were about three people at one point crowded around a laptop whilst on the phone trying to get it to work. They tried filling it out a few times and it wouldn’t work.
My husband suggested they put our insurance through separately and that worked eventually when they did that.

We had to fill out a paper version of the online form too.

Once insurance was paid, another checkpoint was set up to check all paperwork again, then we could proceed through the airport and our temperatures were checked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:37 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Flabuck ...Thanks so much for the detailed quick report .

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:24 pm 

another day another change in the rules
now if you have existing travel insurance that covers the wuhan flu and meets the CR requirements you don't have to buy the CR issued insurance

https://qcostarica.com/tourists-can-now ... insurance/

With the reform, the rule now states that those tourists with current insurance with international coverage that covers medical expenses generated by the COVID-19 disease will be allowed to enter, covering medical expenses equivalent to the costs of hospitalization and minimum coverage of 14 days for lodging expenses.

In the event that the insurance with international coverage does not meet any of these requirements, the foreign person must purchase local travel insurance, which currently is only offered by the State insurer, the Instituto Nacional de Seguros (INS), whose high cost (from US$275 to US$965 dollars) unleashed a wave of criticism from the tourist industry and potential foreign tourists, who on social media and letters to the Q said they considered the policy “taking of advantage of tourists” would look to other destinations.

The ICT said the insurance policy purchased abroad should be for at least US$50,000 dollars for medical expenses and US$2,000 for lodging.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:10 pm 

so they violated there own policy yet again on the first flight, people flew on the plane without a negative test and others flew on the plane without the state issued insurance

(QCOSTARICA) The Ministry of Economy, Industry and Commerce (MEIC) authorized the use of travel policies, issued by international insurers, on the first reopening flight of Juan Santamaría International Airport, despite the fact that a government decree has not yet authorized them.

La Nacion reports that it received confirmation from the Dirección General de Migración y Extranjería (DGME) – Immigration service – and the Costa Rican Tourism Institute (ICT) that MEIC personnel validated international insurance for some of the tourists on the Iberia flight that arrived in the country, from Madrid, Spain, Monday night.
The entity stressed that, on the Iberia flight with 210 passengers, there were tourists who bought the policy from the State insurer, the Instituto Nacional de Seguros (INS). But foreign insurance products that met Covid-19 coverage were also validated.

The MEIC reported that of the total number of travelers, 23 had insurance purchased abroad.

https://qcostarica.com/meic-validated-f ... assengers/

I guess there were rules for most but not, how much money exchanged hands to allow this to happen?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:53 pm 

Approved non-INS travelers insurance
www.sagicor.cr

Under 70 insurance between $12.50 and $10.80 per day depending on length of stay.
Over 70 between $25.10 and $21.50.

Expect more options to develop.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:25 pm 

Boynton wrote:
http://www.sagicor.cr

Under 70 insurance between $12.50 and $10.80 per day depending on length of stay.

Thanks Boynton! Will buy you lunch at restaurant of your choice if I can make it down there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:34 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
Boynton wrote:
http://www.sagicor.cr

Thanks Boynton! Will buy you lunch at restaurant of your choice if I can make it down there.

Hopefully there will be one still in business (The owner of Soda Peru timed his exit well).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:08 pm 

Man he sure did!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 10:28 pm 

let's say you buy 2 months worth and have to go back early, I highly doubt they will refund the unused days you purchased.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:29 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Flabuck, it looks like you are correct on early termination. I read the general conditions of the policy. It will terminate early if you return to your normal country of residence, but no stipulation of any refund.

Rate table https://www.sagicor.cr/wp-content/uploa ... arifas.png

Claims and Conditions https://www.sagicor.cr/seguro_para_turistas/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:01 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

It is always good to have options. The extra $87.50 from Sagicor for a week of insurance will probably not keep me from traveling to CR. I’ll probably complain a little, but pay it to escape sex prison.

The INS quote probably would have me going elsewhere. Given the change in a week, competition should drive it lower. Especially since foreign insurance that meets some requirements is allowed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:19 pm 

$10 to $12 a day for insurance is doable. Much better than the INS option but still very expensive for the coverage you get. I guess that is to be expected as long as this virus is running wild.

Now just have to wait for them to open things up for gringos(USA). Unfortunately probably not gonna happen until there is a vaccine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next