www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:47 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

JTF-Bravo wrote:
Please remember, when entering the USA, you are subject to “inspection ” and it is not a “search “ which you have 4th amendment protections against.

Be sure to tell them that if they give you any shit. They really like it when you assert your rights. I'm sure they will stop the questioning and you'll be on your way immediately. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:13 am 

Orange wrote:
JTF-Bravo wrote:
Please remember, when entering the USA, you are subject to “inspection ” and it is not a “search “ which you have 4th amendment protections against.

Be sure to tell them that if they give you any shit. They really like it when you assert your rights. I'm sure they will stop the questioning and you'll be on your way immediately. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I agree with you Orange, arguing with with the Customs or TSA, even if you are legally right, is a losing proposition, because they always have the power to make you miss your flight and cause you endless hassles, while they go on to their next coffee and donut break.
But I think that Jtf-Bravos point was that in customs you basically have no 4th amendment rights for an "inspection" as you would under an official "search."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:07 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I totally agree with Orange and Jawanker. Arguing with them is a Fools errand. Some are real assholes and delight with messing with you. Spouting off at them and saying "I know my rights" will only work against you. VERY VERY likely you will miss your flight AND get a finger up your butt! Be polite and always say Sir etc. Do not argue, insult them personally. flip them off. Yell or tell them that you are mad.Do not demand a agents name and tell them that you are filing a complaint! Treat the event of getting hassled like testifying in court. Say "Yes,No, I do not know, do not elaborate, speculate or attempt to help". Do not make mad faces at them or glare at them. Be assured that anyone in a wheel chair will get more attention. This is proper. I have left San Jose and customs in CR just waved me through. US Customs very well know this and should act on it. Ignorant smugglers think you will be given a free pass from being in a wheel chair.
After many searches over my last 23 trips they know don't hassle me and are actually nice and welcome me back.

n

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:47 pm 

I was flying this summer from DFW to Cancun. As I walked thru the security the alarm went off because I have a metal knee. The customs came over to me and said I want to search your carryon. So he pulls everything out and I take a seat. He comes back to me with my hair mosse and explains I have to throw it away. Okay fine. When I arrive in Cancun the mexican customs man comes over asks if I am flying alone. I reply Yes and he searches my carryon just like the DFw customs did. Only this time he pulls out a small bag of weed. He askes me if this is mine. I tell him no and he asks for my boarding pass and passport. He then gives to another person and they leave. I am very nervous(I am in Mexico) even though I know it isn't mine. He told me not to move. After an hour of standing there a lady comes up and asks for my passport and I tell her someone took it and left. She tells me "senor you are in big trouble" She then get a scale and puts the bag on it and takes pics with her cell phone. She takes a pic of my passport. I have $2,700 cash in my pocket and feel if they know they will take it all. I believe she waiting for my me to offer a bribe. I have been standing in the same place for 2 1/2 hours, talking only when ask. I was expecting federales to come thru the door and take me to jail. Finally the woman looks at me and you can go. I grabbed my bags and went out the door without looking back. I believe they wanted me to offer a bribe and I would have if all my money wasn't in one place.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:07 pm 

I've been told you have no such rights when you are coming back into the US. You are not in the US until they clear you...therefore no 4th amendment rights. Lawyer told me that.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:59 pm 

Hank wrote:
I was flying this summer from DFW to Cancun. As I walked thru the security the alarm went off because I have a metal knee. The customs came over to me and said I want to search your carryon. So he pulls everything out and I take a seat. He comes back to me with my hair mosse and explains I have to throw it away. Okay fine. When I arrive in Cancun the mexican customs man comes over asks if I am flying alone. I reply Yes and he searches my carryon just like the DFw customs did. Only this time he pulls out a small bag of weed. He askes me if this is mine. I tell him no and he asks for my boarding pass and passport. He then gives to another person and they leave. I am very nervous(I am in Mexico) even though I know it isn't mine. He told me not to move. After an hour of standing there a lady comes up and asks for my passport and I tell her someone took it and left. She tells me "senor you are in big trouble" She then get a scale and puts the bag on it and takes pics with her cell phone. She takes a pic of my passport. I have $2,700 cash in my pocket and feel if they know they will take it all. I believe she waiting for my me to offer a bribe. I have been standing in the same place for 2 1/2 hours, talking only when ask. I was expecting federales to come thru the door and take me to jail. Finally the woman looks at me and you can go. I grabbed my bags and went out the door without looking back. I believe they wanted me to offer a bribe and I would have if all my money wasn't in one place.

Very scary, I think you handled it right. Never had a problem in CR but the Mexican police are so corrupt in my experience; I didn't know it included Mexican customs. I am resolved not to pay la mordida when I haven't violated the law in Mexico.
(If I truly phucked up in CR and it was my fault, i might consider a small mordida.)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 8:33 am 

Orange wrote:
JTF-Bravo wrote:

You missed the point, Orange.

You DON'T have any 4th Amendment rights against a border "inspection." They don't need probable cause, they don't need a warrant, and you waived your privacy rights when you asked to cross the border back into the states.

"I'm not one those pathetic lietuenant colonels working a silly civilian job, working out two hours a day trying to reclaim a body they lost 20 years ago and four hours a night completing War College by correspondence in a sad attempt at colonel. Tyler Durden told us [i]'Self improvement is masturbation[/i].' My mid-life crisis is going to involve a new sports car, or the zoftig redhead with daddy issues in accounting, or better yet, racking up frequent flyer miles going to Pattaya."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:05 pm 

YOU missed Orange's point.

He was JOKING :!: :!: :!:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:02 am 

I always tell them right off that i have a total hip. Without telling them the metal detector sings Christmas Carols to them. Having 18" of metal in my pant leg get's them going with out giving them a heads up. Now days they have be stand in the round body scanner but still even wipe the seat of my wheelchair looking for who knows what!