www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:19 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Summer is tougher every year. I finally found a decent travel agent (actually, retired) and am flying from the west coast (Los Angeles) in July for $319 round trip on Delta.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:16 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Damn, that is a great fare when did you book that.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:06 am 
I just checked LAX TO SJO mid-October. $423.00. Non-stop. Being flexible in departure cities helps or just move to a larger city, but it's economics and they have it figured out.

I'm happy with my $500.00 ticket. Considering what the alternative may have been. Plus, when I land, there is no driving an additional hour or two to get back home because the airport 60 miles down the road was 20% cheaper. When I land, I'm home.

$319 for July? You better keep that travel agent. Sounds like they got an excellent deal on their pre-purchased bundled tickets.

Last edited by Yosh1234 on Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:13 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Autopilot wrote:
Here's a quick Spirit fact...if you purchase your ticket at the counter you can save some cash. Typically around $38. It's in the fine print. You save paying the Passenger Usage Fee. For example if you were to fly out of Ft Lauderdale to SJO May 26 -29 the cost would be $272.23 if you purchased it online. If you went to the airport the price would be $234.25.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Explain the procedure. Do your look up when you want to fly, then drive to the airport, park your car, walk or take the shuttle to the gate, have them look up the flight you saw on your computer, and hope that the seats and the fare you wanted is still open, pay, and then reverse the procedure?

Is that not a lot of time and effort? And doesn't that risk losing the seat and fare you want?

"I'm not one those pathetic lietuenant colonels working a silly civilian job, working out two hours a day trying to reclaim a body they lost 20 years ago and four hours a night completing War College by correspondence in a sad attempt at colonel. Tyler Durden told us [i]'Self improvement is masturbation[/i].' My mid-life crisis is going to involve a new sports car, or the zoftig redhead with daddy issues in accounting, or better yet, racking up frequent flyer miles going to Pattaya."

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:59 am 

Sounds good - - - - but tell me how I get to the gate without already having a boarding pass.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:22 pm 

You buy at the check in counter pre security. Same place you'd check a bag.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:41 pm 
There is a fee using an agent at the airport to book the flight for you. I'm sure it varies based on the airline and in some cases it may be free, but it's typically cheaper online or thru a third party vendor. I.e. Orbitz, Priceline, etc than shopping at the airport. Especially a last minute purchase. You can even pay in cash at the airport. Suspicious none the less, but cash payments are accepted at the airport ticket counter.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:35 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I'm American but I live near Canada. My roundtrip ticket to CR cost $538. Gotta love the strength of the American dollar.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:21 am 

JTF-Bravo wrote:
Autopilot wrote:
Here's a quick Spirit fact...if you purchase your ticket at the counter you can save some cash. Typically around $38. It's in the fine print. You save paying the Passenger Usage Fee. For example if you were to fly out of Ft Lauderdale to SJO May 26 -29 the cost would be $272.23 if you purchased it online. If you went to the airport the price would be $234.25.

Explain the procedure. Do your look up when you want to fly, then drive to the airport, park your car, walk or take the shuttle to the gate, have them look up the flight you saw on your computer, and hope that the seats and the fare you wanted is still open, pay, and then reverse the procedure?

Is that not a lot of time and effort? And doesn't that risk losing the seat and fare you want?
You don't have to wait until the day of the flight. You can buy a ticket at the counter months before the flight.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:52 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

GoodDayJohn wrote:
JTF-Bravo wrote:
Autopilot wrote:

You don't have to wait until the day of the flight. You can buy a ticket at the counter months before the flight.

Excellent! However, between 40 minute drive to the airport, parking, shuttling to the gate, and then reversing the process, saving $38 would be negligible. However, if I did as I was returning from a trip and was already at the airport.....

"I'm not one those pathetic lietuenant colonels working a silly civilian job, working out two hours a day trying to reclaim a body they lost 20 years ago and four hours a night completing War College by correspondence in a sad attempt at colonel. Tyler Durden told us [i]'Self improvement is masturbation[/i].' My mid-life crisis is going to involve a new sports car, or the zoftig redhead with daddy issues in accounting, or better yet, racking up frequent flyer miles going to Pattaya."

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:38 pm 

Guys, the interwebs is the mother phucking giver. And know what? There are sites on it besides CRT and Spirit punto com.

A quick search on Spirit travel hacks or flying Spirit cheap will get you at least a few more tips. There are even reviews out there on bags that fit exactly under the free carry on size requirement. At least until they change it again.

And if you are into traveling no check bag, check out skiplagged.com You can find flights that CONNECT in your intended destination and then you get off. Sometimes cheaper than booking with the intended destination as well, final destination. I see savings more on domestic travel but a search takes what, 3 min if that?

This post is provided purely for entertainment purposes and free of charge on the part of the author. No tourist or travel promotion is expressed or implied. The author of this post was not provided compensation (monetary or otherwise) for this potentially entertaining contribution.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:45 pm 
Whatever y'all do, DO NOT take hotdogg's advice; heed the disclaimer. I wish liars would shut the Phuck up!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:59 pm 

Yosh1234 wrote:
Whatever y'all do, DO NOT take hotdogg's advice; heed the disclaimer. I wish liars would shut the Phuck up!

Care to elaborate on where my advice might be off?

I don't work in the travel industry or have any interest in any business that anyone here would use or consider using as part of their travels.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:12 pm 
hotdogg wrote:
Yosh1234 wrote:

I don't work in the travel industry or have any interest in any business that anyone here would use or consider using as part of their travels.

Fair enough. If you get off in the connection city, as a way to game the airline, the airline will cancel the remaining portion of the unused ticket.

That includes the return ticket and you will be at the mercy of the airport to reinstate. At that point, they tell you to call reservations, who may fix it if the airport didnt put a block on your ticket which more likely they did, forcing you to pay full price for the return trip.

Airport has the final authority and NOT reservations. Don't try to game the airline by getting off in the connection city.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:57 pm 

Yosh1234 wrote:
hotdogg wrote:
Yosh1234 wrote:

Fair enough. If you get off in the connection city, as a way to game the airline, the airline will cancel the remaining portion of the unused ticket.

That includes the return ticket and you will be at the mercy of the airport to reinstate. At that point, they tell you to call reservations, who may fix it if the airport didnt put a block on your ticket which more likely they did, forcing you to pay full price for the return trip.

Airport has the final authority and NOT reservations. Don't try to game the airline by getting off in the connection city.

Fair enough and for those rolling dice they need to buy two seperate one-way itineraries. Meaning two sepearate transactions.

And if people are going to suggest someone is a liar without explaining why I wish they would just shut the phuck up!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next