www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dental Surgery in CR ??
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:48 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Hello all;

I am hoping there might be some brothers who have experienced serious Dental Surgery in Costa Rica.

I have been recently diagnosed with a hereditary bone loss issue and require some extensive work.

I have consulted with 2 oral surgeons in the US as well as 2 in Costa, one of which has been written upon extensively on the board, Dr Sergio Chen. I have in the past year had 2 root canals and crowns performed by Dr Chen. As well several friends and board members have had work done by Dr Chen and have been extremely pleased with his work.

Now on to the real issue, I am going to require at least 2 more surgical implants (I have done 2 in the states approx 10 years ago at a cost of over $5000. At todays rates I will be looking at closer to $8000.

I will also require a thorough deep gum cleaning to save some teeth that my US dentists want to pull now, (I am hearing from the CR dentists that these can last a large numbers of years and not surprisingly the US dentists are ultra aggressive in their dignosis.....

I have now recently returned from CR and after meeting with 2 different dentists Dr Roberto Cob Sanchez and Dr Sergio Chen, I have pretty much made the decision that I am going to have this work done in Costa Rica at an approx. cost of $ 2000.

I am hoping I could get some good advice from anyone who has considered or has had these types of dental work in CR

Thanks in advance.

El S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 am 

these people put on an excellant seminar and have tons of info and suggestions.

when I attemded their seminar, a dentist was part of the seminar and informed us that there was lots of dental services available in costa rica at reasonable prices.

it sounds like you have already done your homework, but here is the link if you want to chat these people up in San Jose.

http://www.arcr.net/

(export version only, some restrictions may apply, some assembly required, not valid where the sun don't shine...

if you live in the states of Poverty, Darkness or anywhere outside of The Blessings of Civilization Trust, Inc...other rules may apply)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:21 am 

El Silencioso,
Send a PM to CRT member Igualmente. He has had extensive dental work done in CR, and I know that he could offer you good advice.
Mucho Gusto :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:50 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

El S..

I've had 4 bridges replaced in Costa Rica past few years.

These were originally installed in early 1980's and my US Dentist had advised they had exceeded thier service life.... cost here was MUCH less and my US Dentist was "surprised" by the quality...
I wasn't able to bring myself to tell him what I actually paid.... by the way I no longer use my US Dentist...

Dentist I use here was recommended by other CRT brother and been used by others.. She is now my only dentist..

PM me is you want specific details and contact info

PIDD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:46 am 

Many of us here on CRT have used Prisma Dental in Rohrmeser. It is Dr. Cordero and his wife Dr.Rubenstein. They have a very large,new facility with their own lab attached. Dr.Rubenstein is a Periodontist and Dr.Cordero is an Oral Surgeon. They may charge a few dollars more but I think they are worth it, I had some work done a few years ago for $1300 that would have been $8000-9000 in the States and the work has been fine ever since. I had a rrot canal recently for under $300.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:32 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Thanks for the information VB.

That is an excellent example of why this board is so valuable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:38 am 

Thanks again for all of the great info. I knew I could count on the brotherhood

I have contacted Prisma dental for a consultation before I decide on final treatment options

Also found this 2004 article regarding Prisma and Dr's. Cordero and Rubinstein, which was a very good and informative read.

http://www.tftb.com/beautyfromafar/newsmile1.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

For PERIO problems I would suggest a series of laser treatments either in US or Costa Rica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:03 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Dental surgery in CRica: I've had 3 tooth implants and a bone graft, extraction and am happy w/the results from Dr. Arnoldo Anglada. His offices are spotless and his equipment phenomenal. All totally pain-free. He doesn't want anyone to suffer. He and his staff speak English. Check Tico Times for his ads. WillyG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:26 am 

I have a dentist in Escazu that BLOWS away my previous dentists. Their equipment and facility is BETTER than my dentist in Lincoln Park. They saved one of my molers from near demise. I'm certain they can either do it, or recommend someone more sophisticated. I'd be willing to bet they can do all of the compicated oral surgeries.

I'm in the US and don't have their contact info, currently. But, it is the only office in the Country Plaza in Escazu, across from Treos Rios and the Country Club in Escazu. PM or buzz me for more info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:13 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

I would add Dr. Esteban Bolaños in Escazu and Dr. Jaime Feinzaig in Sabana Sur to the list. Both speak English and are excellent dentists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:28 pm 

I have no experience with Prisma Dental. However there have been numerous postings on them in the Yahoo group Costa Rica living. To say they are less than flattering would be an under statement. The latest one was posted yesterday:

Quote:
telma (rubenstein) and her quack husband joseph (cordero) are to be
avoided. we have first hand experience. a while back, there was actually
a thread of bad reports about them on this list.

The most frequent criticism was that they found much more extensive work, that they claimed needed to be done, than the patients dentist in the US had recommended. I would be be very cautious before I committed to any course of treatment they recommended. There have been many recommendations in this thread and if you are considering Prisma perhaps a second opinion would be a wise move.

As a general rule I think that any dentist who advertises in the Tico Times is going to cost you considerably more money than those who do not.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:04 am 

Hey we finally have a poster here that can communicate with greengo. Would the poster please tell me why he resurrected a 4 year old thread.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:48 am 

he's just a spammer who litters forums with his unpaid ads

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:58 am 

The "report this post" button is your friend! :D

If we're not going to have extra moderators on this board, that is the next best thing.