www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cedula Renewal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:07 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Has anyone here renewed their residency cedula using the new system through the Banco de Costa Rica? How has it worked for you?

My cedula expires on August 8th. I was told by the people at ARCR that you cannot schedule an appointment for renewal until the first of the month during which your cedula expires (i.e., Aug. 1st, in my case). Since that's only a week before my expiration date, it seemed to me to be cutting it a lot closer than I like. So, I decided to at least call the 900 number used for scheduling renewal appointments. I have been trying the number for the last couple of days and keep getting a "'your call cannot be completed" message. So I went to BCR and all I could get from their information desk was a slip of paper with the same phone number.

I was looking forward to it being smooth sailing with the supposedly streamlined system, but it looks like that's not to be.

Also, I understand that, in addition to the changed income requirements, CAJA enrollment and registering with your embassy are both now required. I'm in the CAJA, but have never bothered registering at the embassy. Does anyone now whether embassy registration is, in fact, required? Also, can you still do your renewal the old fashioned way, going to La Uruca and standing in line all day? :evil: :evil: :evil:

Post subject: Re: Cedula Renewal
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I renewed at BCR last year. My expiration date was in February and I got an apointment for middle of December. My appointment was for 1:30 and at 1:30 they called my name. Took my picture, my finger print, payed the fee and was out of there at 1:45. 3 weeks late my new cedula was at the post office.

WILL NEVER GO TO LA URUCA AGAIN IF I CAN AVOID IT !!!!!!

This was before the requirement to be a member of CAJA or to be registered at the Embassy but I am both. You can register at the Embassy on line and they will send you an email showing you are registered so that is no big deal.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:21 pm 

Now I just have to get them to answer their phone. Maybe it's the World Cup that's got their phone off the hook. :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:29 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Not answering the phone because of World Cup may sound silly to anyone who doesn't live in CR but I seriously would not doubt if that is the truth.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:39 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Don't know why you are having problems. I renewed mine last month in BCR in San Ramon, no problems. Took about 15 minutes. All they asked for was a copy of my cedula, the deposit for the cost, a copy of the colilla from the caja and that was it. Had a 2 PM appointment and was out in 15 minutes. Cedula showed up at my po box 2 weeks later. Beats the shit out of La Uruca.

tuanis

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:55 pm 

Maybe 900 numbers are blocked on your phone?

I know that you cannot call 900 numbers from a prepago cellphone.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:59 pm 

Western wrote:
Maybe 900 numbers are blocked on your phone?

I know that you cannot call 900 numbers from a prepago cellphone.

Thanks. That was the problem. Don't now why it didn't occur to me. I guess, when I got the phone, I must have been worried that I'd be calling all those Hot Spanish Chat Lines. :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:48 pm 

Thought I'd post some additional information on what they are currently requiring for renewals since the changes of a couple months ago. In addition to documentation of CAJA enrollment (Orden Patronal), they now require a Costa Rican police report from the Poder Judicial. The report is informally known as a Hoja de Delincuencia (formally it's a Certificación de Antecedentes Penales). This is not the same as the initial Police Report required for first time residency. They want to know if you have committed any crimes here in CR. You get your Hoja de Delincuencia at the Registro Judicial across from the main court building in San José.

I went there about 10am, Monday to get mine and there was a line of maybe 400 people circling the block. I went to the entrance of the building to find out what time they opened, so that I could return another day. I found out from the guard there that you could make the request online (http://www.poder-judicial.go.cr/) and come back in a couple days and use an express line. I did that and went back today and my wait in line was about 90 seconds. :D :D :D

Also, they are not requiring embassy registration; although, as ID said above, it's easy to do and not a bad idea.

One other thing, I'm a pensionado with permanent residency. I don't know if there are additional requirements with other residency classes.