www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Travel to Panama
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:56 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

A while back, gringos traveling from Costa to Panama were encountering problems at the Panamanian border, with the officials wanting to see travel documents showing a return flight to the U.S. from Costa Rica. Anyone made a trip to Panama lately? Are they still requiring the documents?

Post subject: Re: Travel to Panama
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:29 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Defender121 wrote:
A while back, gringos traveling from Costa to Panama were encountering problems at the Panamanian border, with the officials wanting to see travel documents showing a return flight to the U.S. from Costa Rica. Anyone made a trip to Panama lately? Are they still requiring the documents?

My wife and I made a trip to Panama from MDE not that long ago, and the immigration officer at PTY airport wanted to see our R/T ticket receipt.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:35 am 

very typical of costa rica, panama and other central American countries to require proof of onward connection, of course your connection headed north from panama could be only a bus ticket.......unless you plan to stay you probably have some sort of printable document within your travel itinerary that they will accept as proof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:19 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Zabu wrote:
very typical of costa rica, panama and other central American countries to require proof of onward connection, of course your connection headed north from panama could be only a bus ticket.......unless you plan to stay you probably have some sort of printable document within your travel itinerary that they will accept as proof

Zabu, Based on my experience trying to go into Panama you must have proof of a ticket TO YOUR COUNTRY OF LEGAL RESIDENCY, NOT JUST TO ANOTHER COUNTRY. And the proof they will except is the ticket or a computer printout of the ticket conformation. I had a bus ticket back to Costa Rica which they would not except since at the time my legal residency was still the USA. I have an open-ended bus ticket from Costa Rica to Nicaragua which I never had a problem with CR excepting when entering CR. Only restriction Costa Rica has is that even though the Bus Company (TicaBus) says it is good forever, Costa Rica requires that it not be over one year old.

Now that I have CR residency none of this is of any problem for me.

By the way, what I was told by the Panamanian immigration officials is that this requirement was implemented almost 2 years ago solely by the head of immigration (is not a law).

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:53 pm 

BangBang: Thanks for the info. I guess the best thing to do would be to book a refundable airline ticket to the states and then refund it after one's Panama stay, unless one were already booked to return to US.